Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2006 11:01:50 AM EDT
I think that we've reached peak production of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ammo, that's why it is hard to come by.  everyone needs to write their congresscritters and let them know about the dangers of peak ammo, it could destroy society as we know it!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]

BTW,I have a tapco ak collapsible stock on the way
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Ammo production only goes downhill from here
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
If you need copper to make those rounds...

Peak Copper

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]
it would be a valid comparison, except more ammo is being produced than ever, it's only hard to come by because big buyers like the gov't are buying it all up
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#5]
when will we reach peak gun control legislation?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
it would be a valid comparison, except more ammo is being produced than ever

ah yeah, kinda like oil
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
it would be a valid comparison, except more oil is being produced than ever, it's only hard to come by because big buyers like consumers are buying it all up

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#8]
yes, more oil is being produced than ever, but many of the major producers, ghawar, north sea, US lower 48 are in decline.  so your comparison might be valid if, say, federal or winchester was suddenly having trouble producing ammo, and their production rates were dropping year after year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#9]
US lower 48 oil production

notice how quickly oil production declined after peak during the 70's - despite that fact that this was the midst of the first oil crisis, and the incentive to produce more was huge.

world oil production graph:

sorry about the big images, i made these graphs in matlab a while ago.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Im going to crap my pants, then fret over peak water and debate if I should throw them away and by new pants, or if that will cause peak cotten to fuck up the whats left of the free world.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a pretty compelling chart myself

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/deathray187/ammochart.jpg

very nice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ROFLAMOOMGBBQ!

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you need copper to make those rounds...

Peak Copper

You wasted post 1911 on that!?  For shame.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#15]
As soon as I call the BATFE and get their opinion of Peak Ammunition and see if they have a "plan B" I'll get back to you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I love it when dumb fucks post, ridiculing "peak oil".  Even if we never run out of oil, by definition "peak oil" still exists.  It is a definition to describe the point in time when the highest amount of oil is withdrawn from the Earth - nothing more.

Somehow that very simple definition has been bastardized to include the entire "theory" and all the left wing hysteria about it wrapped up in a nice tidy package.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

OMGWTF4XBBQ!!21@!

Just remember, we'll never actually run out of ammo, it will just become so scarce and expensive that only 12.5% of Americans will be able to afford the ammo to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I love it when dumb fucks post, ridiculing "peak oil".  Even if we never run out of oil, by definition "peak oil" still exists.  It is a definition to describe the point in time when the highest amount of oil is withdrawn from the Earth - nothing more.

Somehow that very simple definition has been bastardized to include the entire "theory" and all the left wing hysteria about it wrapped up in a nice tidy package.

ah shut the fuck up and have a bit of fun with it
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#20]
as can be seen from the graph, peak oil for the US happened a long time ago.  one day, a worldwide oil production peak will be reached.  this is an undeniable fact, unless you believe oil is an infinitely renewable resource, in which case you're too far gone to come to grips with reality.  the date and implications of the world oil peak are open to debate, but the fact of it's existence is not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
as can be seen from the graph, peak oil for the US happened a long time ago.  one day, a worldwide oil production peak will be reached.  this is an undeniable fact, unless you believe oil is an infinitely renewable resource, in which case you're too far gone to come to grips with reality.  the date and implications of the world oil peak are open to debate, but the fact of it's existence is not.

screw oil, we've got a huge problem at hand with inexpensive commie ammo!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
yes, more oil is being produced than ever, but many of the major producers, ghawar, north sea, US lower 48 are in decline.  so your comparison might be valid if, say, federal or winchester was suddenly having trouble producing ammo, and their production rates were dropping year after year.

Sir not to be a contrary ass,but I think the original comparison was that peak ammo production has been reached in reference to the IMPORTED wolf ammo.However my post was made in jest,I am sorry to have upset you
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That is great!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

screw oil, we've got a huge problem at hand with inexpensive commie ammo!

Theredhorseman,methinks someone has taken your post way to fucking seriously
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
as can be seen from the graph, peak oil for the US happened a long time ago.  one day, a worldwide oil production peak will be reached.  this is an undeniable fact, unless you believe oil is an infinitely renewable resource, in which case you're too far gone to come to grips with reality. the date and implications of the world oil peak are open to debate, but the fact of it's existence is not.

Not to hijack or be pedantic, but you are stating things that might be mutually exclusive:

-if oil is produced adiabatically, then oil IS a renewable resource.  That doesn't mean that we would be able to extract it forever - hell, the earth might produce 10 gallons a year, but it's still renewable.

-if oil is produced via dead animals, fish turds, or whatever, then oil IS a renewable resource.  That doesn't mean that we would be able to extract it forever - hell, the earth might produce 10 gallons a year, but it's still renewable.

The only way oil is not renewable, would be if some event happened once upon a time that magically deposited 100% of the earth's oil, never to recur.

And just because oil IS renewable, doesn't mean that we won't soon face a peak followed by a decline.  

Look at it this way, if I have a huge tank of oil, and I trickle in 100 gallons an hour, for a short while you can pull oil out of my tank at an unlimited rate.  However, at some point, your ability to drain oil will decline, and eventually wind up at exactly 100 gallons an hour.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#26]
perhaps i should rephrase myself.  by "infinitely renewable" i meant as in "oil renewing itself fast enough that it will always be there no matter how fast or how much of it we pump out of the ground.".  thus, the "infinite".
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sir not to be a contrary ass,but I think the original comparison was that peak ammo production has been reached in reference to the IMPORTED wolf ammo.However my post was made in jest,I am sorry to have upset you

i'm not upset.  sorry if i'm taking this too seriously, i just love to discuss and debate the issue.  i'm a geophysics major, and i've decided to devote my career to the discovery and production of petroleum resources.  learning of peak oil theroy is what inspired me to take this path.  i just tend to over-react when people make light of the things that have inspired my carreer choice.  think of it as the way a minister might react if someone made a joke about jesus.  not angry, but somewhat sad and wanting to show the joker the "error of their ways".
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
perhaps i should rephrase myself.  by "infinitely renewable" i meant as in "oil renewing itself fast enough that it will always be there no matter how fast or how much of it we pump out of the ground."

Friend,are you like off your meds or somethingThereadhorseman was poking a little fun at peak_oil,about his thread of calling the department of energy.Peak_oil got the joke,hell I even got the joke and I went to school on the short bus
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm not upset.  sorry if i'm taking this too seriously, i just love to discuss and debate the issue. i'm a geophysics major, and i've decided to devote my career to the discovery and production of petroleum resources.  learning of peak oil theroy is what inspired me to take this path.  i just tend to over-react when people make light of the things that have inspired my carreer choice.  think of it as the way a minister might react if someone made a joke about jesus.  not angry, but somewhat sad and wanting to show the joker the "error of their ways".

Ah,this splains everything then.By allmeans,carry on
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
perhaps i should rephrase myself.  by "infinitely renewable" i meant as in "oil renewing itself fast enough that it will always be there no matter how fast or how much of it we pump out of the ground."

Friend,are you like off your meds or somethingThereadhorseman was poking a little fun at peak_oil,about his thread of calling the department of energy.Peak_oil got the joke,hell I even got the joke and I went to school on the short bus

Fuck YOU colklink, the internet is serious business!!!!

(I admittedly took the the post a little too seriously as well)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#31]
i sometimes have trouble telling the difference between "lighthearted satire" and "malicious satire".  especially on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I am going to buy some cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I am going to buy some cheap ammo.

thanks for adding to the problem
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]
so what is your alternative form of ammo when there is no more?

plasma?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

plasma?

I'm hoping for plasma, or at least inexpensive lightweight reliable gauss guns
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
i sometimes have trouble telling the difference between "lighthearted satire" and "malicious satire".  especially on the internet.

Dude,no problem.But what the hell are you even doing on the net on a Sat afternoonShouldnt you be in a bar,breathing you beer breath on a hot coed,trying to talk her out of her panties

THIS WAS JUST A JOKE BTW
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
as can be seen from the graph, peak oil for the US happened a long time ago.  one day, a worldwide oil production peak will be reached.  this is an undeniable fact, unless you believe oil is an infinitely renewable resource, in which case you're too far gone to come to grips with reality. the date and implications of the world oil peak are open to debate, but the fact of it's existence is not.

Not to hijack or be pedantic, but you are stating things that might be mutually exclusive:

-if oil is produced adiabatically, then oil IS a renewable resource.  That doesn't mean that we would be able to extract it forever - hell, the earth might produce 10 gallons a year, but it's still renewable.

-if oil is produced via dead animals, fish turds, or whatever, then oil IS a renewable resource.  That doesn't mean that we would be able to extract it forever - hell, the earth might produce 10 gallons a year, but it's still renewable.

The only way oil is not renewable, would be if some event happened once upon a time that magically deposited 100% of the earth's oil, never to recur.

And just because oil IS renewable, doesn't mean that we won't soon face a peak followed by a decline.  

Look at it this way, if I have a huge tank of oil, and I trickle in 100 gallons an hour, for a short while you can pull oil out of my tank at an unlimited rate.  However, at some point, your ability to drain oil will decline, and eventually wind up at exactly 100 gallons an hour.

Why do you use such big words....does it make you feel important?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought this thread was about peak commie ammo production.Damn I am so confused

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I thought this thread was about peak commie ammo production.

it was, till some dumbasses started whining about an oil crisis that isnt happening
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude,no problem.But what the hell are you even doing on the net on a Sat afternoonShouldnt you be in a bar,breathing you beer breath on a hot coed,trying to talk her out of her panties

THIS WAS JUST A JOKE BTW

unfortunately no, due to the unconstitutional National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984.  i am however now leaving for a hockey game.  'night all.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Words like pedantic and exclusive are "big words"?  

Come visit me at work sometime if you want to see "big words".

If it makes you feel any better, I misused the word adiabatic - it should be abiotic.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ah yeah, kinda like oil

Production of oil is irrelevant in the oil scarcity equation because availability is indirectly proportional to

demand. It doesn't matter if you produce more oil per day than we ever have before in history because

our oil consumption is growing exponentially faster than our oil production. - Kool-Aid (LCA ts1337)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ah yeah, kinda like oil

Production of oil is irrelevant in the oil scarcity equation because availability is indirectly proportional to

demand. It doesn't matter if you produce more oil per day than we ever have before in history because

our oil consumption is growing exponentially faster than our oil production. - Kool-Aid (LCA ts1337)

screw oil, I want to feed my AK!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#44]
So what am I going to run my MG's on????   Bio-ammo?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Sounds smelly!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Words like pedantic and exclusive are "big words"?  

Come visit me at work sometime if you want to see "big words".

If it makes you feel any better, I misused the word adiabatic - it should be abiotic.

Thank YOU MISTER KNOW IT ALL!

That is for the rest of what you said!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds smelly!

Worse than Wolf???  

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds smelly!

Worse than Wolf???  

or even worse than norinco or old school russian 7.62x39 that smelled like cat piss
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

plasma?

I'm hoping for plasma, or at least inexpensive lightweight reliable gauss guns

Good luck with either.  Neither plasma weapons or electromagnetic gauss technology are at a level that they can compete in any way with the internal combustion chamber.  These alternatives are their infancy and will not be ready until far after peak ammo wreaks havoc on our society.

EDIT: What we really need is to transform the southwest US into giant solar farms to collect energy for upcoming high capactiy batteries for our laser rifles.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice chart.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top