User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Did it ever occur to you guys that all the drug dealers shooting machine guns in Miami Vice, with all the glorification of the outlaw life and its fabulous wealth might have something to do with the public perceptions that fostered the ban on "assault weapons?"

Nope, I think it was Patrick Purdy and a few others that did that.

More people are familiar with Miami Vice than they are with Patrick Purdy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Did the Daytona really have that ugly plexiglass panel over it's lights, and bolted on like that?

you know that was a replica Daytona anyway right

They came with retractable headlights if my memory is correct

Yes and no... the European version originally had covered headlights, but the pop-ups were added to make the cars US-compliant. No covered headlights were allowed at the time. I remember what they did to the XK-E, too; they took away the trademark covered headlamps and put in speshul US headlight assemblies.
Now it's the norm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of short shotgun did Tubbs have in that series?  

He used to produce it from under his jacket and fold down the front grip - it looked kind of like an early-American Serbu Super Shorty.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#4]
As  teenager , I did not blink for the entire show.

Also , the soundtrack was always good !
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did it ever occur to you guys that all the drug dealers shooting machine guns in Miami Vice, with all the glorification of the outlaw life and its fabulous wealth might have something to do with the public perceptions that fostered the ban on "assault weapons?"

Patrick Purdy did moe to ban AWs than any TV show.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do your own little survey. Ask people on the street if they remember Patrick Purdy. Then ask them whether they remember MV and can tell you all about it.

But even if you think that Patrick Purdy should get most of the credit -- tell me with a straight face that this show promotes a responsible, realistic view of guns in the US.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IMHO..he made the show.

www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/miami-vice-ejo.jpg

He certainly gave it a new edge.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IMHO..he made the show.

Yep.

The first Lt they had was the same actor who played Fred Sanford's neighbor whose goats always got into Fred's junk.
To this day I always think of Julio and his goats when I see that guy.

Castillo was cool.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IMHO..he made the show.

Yep.

The first Lt they had was the same actor who played Fred Sanford's neighbor whose goats always got into Fred's junk.

Castillo was cool.

Gregory Sierra ( 1st guy)  He played Julio on Sanford And Son.. Also was in Barney Miller..

Edward James Olmos was a bad ass for sure... He could look at you and you would die.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but many anti-gunners looked at such as TV show as trainging videos for guns
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anybody here been to Miami recently?

Right before Christmas.

Bears about as much resemblance to the city in the show as horseshit does to roast beef.

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IMHO..he made the show.

Yep.

Castillo was cool.

Gregory Sierra ( 1st guy)  He played Julio on Sanford And Son.. Also was in Barney Miller..

Edward James Olmos was a bad ass for sure... He could look at you and you would die.

Castillo was such a badass.  He would just growl at Crockett and Tubbs and they would fall in line.  They knew he could kick their asses with ease.

Their first LT was more of a camp councellor than a boss.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK now who here tried to dress like Sonny Crockett? fess up

Who had the "Miami Device" stubble length razor? hr

I have one.

My father has a "Sonny Crockett" white sport coat.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#15]
My parents have my 2nd grade class photo hanging up in their house. Right in the middle of the perfectly posed, smiling kids, there I am in a baby blue linen sport coat with the sleeves pushed up, arms crossed, with a too cool for school look on my face. It is a priceless photo.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What kind of short shotgun did Tubbs have in that series?  

He used to produce it from under his jacket and fold down the front grip - it looked kind of like an early-American Serbu Super Shorty.

Ithaca Model 37
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IMHO..he made the show.

Wouldn't have been the same without him.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IMHO..he made the show.

Wouldn't have been the same without him.

+1 - agreed, spooky guy, ex CIA spook thing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
i have high hopes for the movie version. michael mann is doing it after all and he hasnt let us down yet????
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Miami Vice caused my gun " Problem"... I wonder what Id be buying if that show never existed..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i have high hopes for the movie version. michael mann is doing it after all and he hasnt let us down yet????

Same here. If it were any other director besides him, I would of been worried. But Miami Vice is just about his baby, so I don't think he'd ruin it.

Although, I am a bit concerned about his choice for Crockett...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Miami Vice not only caused my gun "problem", it also fueled my lust for fast cars and hot chicks (usually Latina) in bikinis.

Where's the love for Phil Collins?  Doesn't he have a Lamborghini _____ (not the Countach, but something that begins with a J) in one episode?

The soundtrack is indeed awesome.  I love it when Jan Hammer shows up on my MP3 player.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The soundtrack is indeed awesome.  I love it when Jan Hammer shows up on my MP3 player.

It has been rumoured that Hammer spends something like a 40hours per doing the music for the show.  I have the sound track and I listen to it every once in while.  Some of the music is a bit dated, but I still like it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Miami Vice not only caused my gun "problem", it also fueled my lust for fast cars and hot chicks (usually Latina) in bikinis.

Where's the love for Phil Collins?  Doesn't he have a Lamborghini _____ (not the Countach, but something that begins with a J) in one episode?

Lamborghini Jalpa...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Everyone seen the trailer for the new movie yet? See here...

http://miamivice.com/main.html

What do y'all think?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I remember not going out or taking calls the night that Miami Vice was on...

Me too. Don't bother me dammit!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What do y'all think?

Too impatient to wait 20 minutes for it to load. (Stupid dial-up).
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

What do y'all think?

I'd watch a movie with all the original characters only. Course, the way the series ended a new movie refreshing the series will not make.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top