User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/ju7srd.jpg

This is not right....

This is a "Curly Wurly" ( as we know them over here)
www.sweetiebag.com/product_images/details/Cadbury's%20Curly%20Wurly.jpg

Marathon became "Snickers"...surely

Taffy

Patrick Wayne doing TV commercial? The first I remember him was in "The Searchers", then that terrible TV show, I think it was called "Monte Carlo". For those who don;t know, that's John Wayne's son.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I remember frequent trips to my friend's house who lived on a lake (Irish Hills, MI).  In the winter, we'd get the other kids together & have neighborhood hockey games.

We also don snowmobile suits & fencing masks & have BB gun wars.  Never had an injury - even point blank shots weren't felt.  

We'd double up on the snowmobile suits, put on motorcycle helmets and tobbogan down cliffs.  There was one called "suicide hill."  You'd gain recognition if you had a successful trip (stayed on the toboggan).

When we were 12, we'd sneak the cars out of the drive & have drag races down the dirt road.  Nobody ever drove down that road (except his parents and the part-time neighbor who only visited the area during a few weekends in the Summer) so we never worried about collisions.  

There were about 6 or 7 lakes connected by channels.  We'd jump in the rowboat in the morning, try to reach the end & make it back by dark (stopping to fish, of course).

Back then, being gone all day was a treat for moms - not a cause for worry.    

I live pretty near the Irish Hills. Has not changed much cept the tourist traps are pretty much closed now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
First job had a coke machine that was five cents for a six ounce coke.  7-up was a dime.

The bakery man would come to our home and carry a two tiered display rack to the door to show his baked goods to my mother.

Milk was delivered and the garbage was picked up separate from the trash.

There would be one to three pennies in the cigarette pack from vending machines for your change.

I remember standing in line for polio vaccine.

Sports had seasons.  Baseball in the summer, football in the fall, hockey in the winter. Not this year round stuff.   Maybe basketball in the winter before spring training but can't remember.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember most and some of woblin gobbin's

Here are few more

TV was new, it was black and white, with a round picture tube. only a few people had them.

Coke was a nickle and evey bottle had a 2cent deposit

Street vendors in the city(Chicago)sold hot dogs or sharpened your knives from hand carts with big wooden wheels
The coal truck deposited coal through a chute into your basement to heat your house.

Everyone walked to school everyday.

Babies were born at home. mom's only went to the hospital if thier were complicatios

Family doctors made house calls.

The Fuller brush sales man sold brushes and cleaning supplies at your door.

The Milkman deliverd milk, cream, and butter. milk and cream in glass bottles with paper tabs.

"Dad" repaired the family car, even put new tubes in the tires when necessary.

The paperboy delvered the paper and collected the bill.

Candy bars were a Nickle, even my new favortite "Almond Joy"

Penny gumball machines had a small inedible baseball gumball and if you got one it was worth a nickle so you could get a candy bar.

Phone #'s were only 5 numbers long and most started with a name like Hudson 5- 505

You could get a dollars worth of gas, and the attendant would clean your winshield and check your oil.

Each night when the TV or radio was going off the air they played the National Anthem.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually I remember Coke at a dime, beer was $1.50 for a six pack. smokes were 25 cents.
I grew up when the limit for small game was five a day, and that was all the shells you were given. if you didn't bring back the limit you brought back unfired or had a lot of explaining to do.
Yes gas was less then 25 cents, but that was before I was driving. yes I got a dollar for mowing a yard that was huge, but the dollar let you fill the gas can for three more yards.
Sky king on saturday morning
Roy rodgers in the afternoon and saturdays
a .357 was the badest firearm for sale, it would puncture a engine block !
getting your ass kicked at a bar was a right of passsage
after the above the first question was what did you do to piss people off
Someone came home from the military you showed them respect
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
Man.... I remember the good old days.

Like when your legs quit working..............................It's Polio!!!!

Or the fact that people never ever had more that one heart attack...............The first was always fatal!!!!

I could go on and on *sigh*.....

You sure are a cheery fella ain't ya?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Phone #'s were only 5 numbers long and most started with a name like Hudson 5- 505

Remember party lines and listening for your own special ring? You had to wait until the neighbor got done talking before you could make a call. Although you could keep up with gossip just by quietly picking up the phone and listening in. I had a couple of friends on the same line the 3 of us could conference call with a little planning.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Gas was 59cents a gallon and you can get regular or unleaded

Naw... gas was 25 c a gallon.  

You could get a cheeseburger for 25c, fries for a dime, coke for a nickle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
In the late sixties you could get Wisconsin Club Beer 5 Quarts for $1.00 and Vienna all beef hot dog, chicago style, with fries for .25 cents.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As I read the posts lately I see a lot of post about getting older. Well I thought I would add a few. Some of these may date you as to age after reading some replies I will post the year I was born to give you an Idea of my age.

Do You Remember When....

Coca cola was sold from horizontal vending machines for 25cents and in 6 oz green glass bottles
(10 cents at the Fire House up the street)

You could ride five miles to the little store on your bike and spend the 50 cents you had for a box of .22 ammo and you were 12
(9 actually)

The TV was for watching the news by your parents
(Yes)

The windows were open at night in the summer
(Florida - NO AC - didn't need it)

You worked all summer to earn money for a shotgun and you only needed a ride to the store to buy it not buy it for you
(Revalation .410 at Western Auto)

You could buy five shotgun shells from the store
(One, or two, or three...)

You had rabbit traps in the winter for extra meat and you could sell the skins for Christmas money
(actually dug worms and sold them to the General Store.  10 cents per 100)

A hardware store was for nails, guns, glass, paint, ammo, and small animal supplies
(and pocket knives)

You got up early to finish you chores so you could spend the day in the fields and fishing
(Take the fishing pole along while walking the cow out to pasture)

A meal came from the stove and not a microwave
(a wood stove at that)

Sunday was for church and family came over for a big meal
(wish it still was)

Bacon came from the family or the farmer you knew
(along with butter and eggs)

Space food sticks were neat
(missed that)

Tang was a treat
(I think I drank enough that I peed 100% Tang)

Hot chocolate involved the stove and a pan not a package

Gas was 25cents a gallon
(17 cents a gallon / cigs were 30 cents a pack)

Lunchmeat came wrapped in paper

You got in trouble a school and you din't want to go home because you were going to get it a lot worse at home
(Principle paddled your ass and sent you back to class.  No suspension, No idiot policies)

The family car had a three on the tree

Baseball was what you did all day long in the summer

You worked all day heping build a house or loading hay and it was 100 degrees and at the end of the day they gave you a cold beer because you were a MAN now
(and 25 cents for your trouble)

If you got into a fight you were told to win, and the next day you were best friends with the kid you were fighing with

These are a few of mine feel free to post your own I think it will be interesting to see what some of you remember
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do You Remember When....
Coca cola was sold from horizontal vending machines for 25cents and in 6 oz green glass bottles

Coca Cola was never sold in 6 oz bottles, it was sold in 6 1/2 oz bottles, I still have some, and they were a nickel.  We had an old round top upright Coke box that used the 6 1/2 oz bottles, took a nickel, later upped it to 6 cents, then a dime, you couldn't get a higher denomination to fit that old Coke box, that was a problem since by then those Cokes cost more than that!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I remember when Coke was made with sugar and not high-fruitoise corn syrup crap and McD's fries were made with peanut oil and not that corn oil....

You can get that from Mexico, though.

I remember when Mc Donalds fried its fries in tallow. Now THAT was good eatin'!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have most of those memories, but it was still way different when i was a kid than it is now (grew up in the 70s and 80s).  I miss the old days.  I get depressed thinking about what this world has become and where it is going.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, sort of...Gas was $.29 a gal at the "Bomber". It is no longer a gas station but the B-17 still rest atop the pumps that closed 10 years ago. And, tonight the kids are watching "The Sandlot". Thanks for the list!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gas was 59cents a gallon and you can get regular or unleaded

Naw... gas was 25 c a gallon.  

You could get a cheeseburger for 25c, fries for a dime, coke for a nickle.

gas was regular or "ethyl"  and both had Lead for 19.9 cents a gallon
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember:

when you could buy a firearm mail order through the Sears and Roebuck catalog

car radios had two little civil defense markers on the dial to show you where to tune in the event of an emergency

shoe stores had fluoroscopes (X-ray machines) so you could see how your feet fit in a pair of shoes

record players set up in record shops so you could listen to a record before buying it

postal zones (e.g., Chicago 2, Illinois)

tube checkers in the local drug store for checking radio and TV tubes

Green Stamps

reel-type lawnmowers

flash bulbs

slide rules

war surplus stores that actually sold genuine war surplus stuff (and had creaky wood floors and reeked of canvas and cosmoline)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Telephones had dials on them.
Televisions had a vertical hold knob.
AIDS didn't exist.
Soda cans were opened with a removable pull-tab.
The Soviet Union used to be the bad guys and the US were the good guys. The Olympics just don't have the villian athlete or team to boo against anymore.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top