Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 6:00:01 PM EDT
so its my last year of high school. i sent into mass maritime academy. got my letter today. and well im SOL with goin there. the only place i wanted to go to. so this year, i guess im goin to community college to get my credits up and then re apply to MMA. kinda sucks. i dunno not really that pissed, but i just wanted to get fuckin college over with. kinda wish i got in. but anyways just kina had to bitch a lil.

take it easy
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There's alway the Navy
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There's alway the Navy

i was thinking NAVY after school. because i need school to do what i want in there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
community college is a bad thing?

Damn.

wish someone told me otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
having gone through the process just last year, i have to say that the whole college admissions process is a bunch of BS.  i got into my first choice school, but many of my friends, some of whom are far smarter than me, were rejected at the same school.  sometimes it really comes down to pure luck.  colleges, especially publicly funded ones, need to be far more objective and transparent when it comes to dealing with admissions decisions and policies.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Damn.

not a bad thing. just dosent offer what i want to do.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Next time tell them that you are a, umm, "protected class citizen."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That will give you time to learn how to write more good.

()

haha
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you are white, and especially a white male, and you don't have both very good grades AND a lot of extracurricular activities, you are SOL in many of the best schools.  Unless your parents can buy them a new wing or something.

-Troy

'
yep
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
so its my last year of high school. i sent into mass maritime academy. got my letter today. and well im SOL with goin there. the only place i wanted to go to. so this year, i guess im goin to community college to get my credits up and then re apply to MMA. kinda sucks. i dunno not really that pissed, but i just wanted to get fuckin college over with. kinda wish i got in. but anyways just kina had to bitch a lil.

take it easy

Er...didn't your guidance councilor/college advisor tell you to apply to at least 3 or 4 schools?

When I graduated I think I had applied to 6 or 7...some were total write-offs (2.5gpa, applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton...hey, you only miss shots you don't take), some were reaching, and the rest were mostly gimmies...got an almost full-boat scholarship to a gimmie, and basic financial aid at one of the reaching ones.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you are white, and especially a white male, and you don't have both very good grades AND a lot of extracurricular activities, you are SOL in many of the best schools.  Unless your parents can buy them a new wing or something.

-Troy

Couldn't have said it better myself!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

take it easy

Er...didn't your guidance councilor/college advisor tell you to apply to at least 3 or 4 schools?

When I graduated I think I had applied to 6 or 7...some were total write-offs (2.5gpa, applied to Harvard, Yale, Princeton...hey, you only miss shots you don't take), some were reaching, and the rest were mostly gimmies...got an almost full-boat scholarship to a gimmie, and basic financial aid at one of the reaching ones.

yeah they did. but im going to this school, just gotta get some stuff done before i can.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]
buddysblackrifle, check your IM

<-------------
Community college student and lovin' it.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I was rejected from my first choice too.  It has actually worked out better for me this way.  I got to work and save up a little more cash, go to the community college to build up some more credits (the college I'm going to next year will actually take some of them), and I got to mooch off of my parents for another year.

I was pissed off at first, but after about a week, I realized that things would be better off for me anyway.  Hillsdale won't require me to wear a suit and tie everyday for class
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
having gone through the process just last year, i have to say that the whole college admissions process is a bunch of BS.  i got into my first choice school, but many of my friends, some of whom are far smarter than me, were rejected at the same school.  sometimes it really comes down to pure luck.

Yeah, "luck"

BTW, the modern admissions for selective schools is based on a system Harvard implemented in the early 20th century, to keep out Jews.  Harvard's WASPy board and directors were becoming alarmed that they were getting all these applications  from Jewish students with superb grades and test scores, so they had to contrive some sort of criteria to decline them entrance.  Things like sports, volunteer work, all the other BS that has nothing to do with academics.  They saw Harvard as a sort of club first, one where Jews didn't belong and would ruin the spirit of if there were too many.

www.newyorker.com/critics/atlarge/articles/051010crat_atlarge
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

take it easy

+1 on needing to apply to more schools. I live in PA and didn't want to go to Penn State. I made it my fall back school. Wanted to go south somewhere, applied to UVA and UNC. Neither wanted me (fuck minority, in-state, and alumni shit) when I was more than qualified. For some reason though, Univ. of Mich took me, as a white middle-class male. Well, it came down to PSU or U of Mich, but I can't afford $38k a year for U of Mich. I was pretty bitter about Penn State. Turns out, now that I'm there, it's not so bad and I'm having a good time. As I was told by the UVA NROTC instructor when I talked to him, "bloom where you're planted."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
buddysblackrifle, check your IM

<-------------
Community college student and lovin' it.  

just got it, and sent one back. thanks man
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
get all your general ed stuff out of the way at a CC and save yourself a whole boatload of money.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
get all your general ed stuff out of the way at a CC and save yourself a whole boatload of money.

yeah. its not ganna be bad stayin around home.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
College is a hellava lotta fun.  Don't be in such a hurry to 'get it over with'.  You are likely an ambitious young person, but remember to stop to smell the roses.......and the other stuff.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
College is a hellava lotta fun.  Don't be in such a hurry to 'get it over with'.  You are likely an ambitious young person, but remember to stop to smell the roses.......and the other stuff.

haha. yea. your probably right. but ive never been one for school.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Damn.

Community College is the BEST DEAL in America!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Go to community college and save the bucks.  The undergrad lower division classes aren't going to mean that much in the long run anyway.

Do well then transfer to a good four year school as a junior.  Join the NROTC and get ready for a career in the Navy or Marine Corps.

Throughout your schooling, make sure you take the best courses for a career as a Navy or Marine officer.  Talk to an officer recruiter.  Log on to the Navy site for more details.

Life as a Navy or Marine officer is not easy.  It is a 24/7 demanding career that will tax your intellect, physical stamina and ability to withstand stress.  Yoiu will learn all about yourself, your shipmates and your equipment.  You will also learn about the world.  These experiences will help you later in life.

Whether you stay for a career or get out after your hitch is up, you will be changed forever and for the better.  You will learn to respect yourself and your fellow servicememebers.  I always look back with fondness on my 28 years in the Navy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Go to community college and save the bucks.  The undergrad lower division classes aren't going to mean that much in the long run anyway.

Do well then transfer to a good four year school as a junior.  Join the NROTC and get ready for a career in the Navy or Marine Corps.

Throughout your schooling, make sure you take the best courses for a career as a Navy or Marine officer.  Talk to an officer recruiter.  Log on to the Navy site for more details.

Life as a Navy or Marine officer is not easy.  It is a 24/7 demanding career that will tax your intellect, physical stamina and ability to withstand stress.  Yoiu will learn all about yourself, your shipmates and your equipment.  You will also learn about the world.  These experiences will help you later in life.

Whether you stay for a career or get out after your hitch is up, you will be changed forever and for the better.  You will learn to respect yourself and your fellow servicememebers.  I always look back with fondness on my 28 years in the Navy.

thanks for the advice. and thanks everyone else for all the feedback with this
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I always check other in the race box. I am a endoeuropean prussian american.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's more to college than books[

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's more to college than books[

hahahaha
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#29]
hey guys. im just wondering if anyone here has gone to norwhich academy? ive been looking there to, n been thinking about applying. i guess it cant hurt. anyone got any input?

thanks all
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't feel to bad.  College is for suckers ya know!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Why is it the two guys in this thread that "Recently" applied to college (and were denied) do not know how to capitalize a letter?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:39:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Why is it the two guys in this thread that "Recently" applied to college (and were denied) do not know how to capitalize a letter?

sorry. didnt know it ment that much to you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't know the first thing about the place, but there's always Maine Maritime Academy
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:54:32 AM EDT
[#35]
would go to "real" colledige if yous can.  mE go to CC and only pawn in game of life.

I went to a CC- not bad, but you miss a lot of the college experience.  If you can swing it, go to a skool within 100 miles or so. Easy to drive home and wash clothes/get food/get cash-ola.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:00:57 AM EDT
[#36]
sometime things like this work out for a reason, perhaps something better will come along, it may not seem so now but maybe, have a good outlook as you seem to have , things will work out

Good Luck , CopDills
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top