Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/6/2006 3:37:28 PM EDT
Well i know it does not officially exist,or so were told.

But anyone have any guess as to how fast this baby goes?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 3:39:56 PM EDT by Epsilon]
Mach 8

Ive heard around 4,000 MPH.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:42:56 PM EDT
its just an F16XL with a body kit and a fart can to keep you tinfoil types busy
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:43:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:49:22 PM EDT
The real thing is leaving donuts on a rope contrails all over the southwest. All you have to do is look up.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:50:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ED_P:
The real thing is leaving donuts on a rope contrails all over the southwest. All you have to do is look up.

not all over my part of the southwest.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:51:20 PM EDT
Depends on if you factor in being able to use the rotation of the Earth to its advantage in some cases.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:52:33 PM EDT

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:53:48 PM EDT

+1.

Although, years ago I used to hear sonic booms every Tue, or Thu, can't reacall which. The legend was it was heading over the pacific for flight testing from Nellis.

Don't know, though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:01:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KeMiCaLs:
www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Pictures%20245x.jpg

Looks like perfectly normal contrails to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:10:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:10:34 PM EDT
I heard it goes so fast, it travels back in time.

Art Bell says so.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:15:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
Scramjet is old technology. There's better stuff out there. I don't think they could ever get the thing to light off more than about 7 or 8 seconds.

I believe it was just over 11 seconds (unoficially)...X-43A vechicle #3.

Manned-hypersonic vehicles are still things of the future. But wer're working on them. Even the most heat resistant materials ablate (melt away) at higher-mach speeds. Give the technology about 25 years to mature.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:21:42 PM EDT
yeah, but does it have photon torpedo capability?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:50:32 PM EDT
Im not saying the Aurora exists but we wouldnt have retired the BlackBirds if we didnt have its replacement, and there are times when you need a spyplane and not just a sattelite
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:57:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CITADELGRAD87:

+1.

Although, years ago I used to hear sonic booms every Tue, or Thu, can't reacall which. The legend was it was heading over the pacific for flight testing from Nellis.

Don't know, though.

Your in Commie land, your vote don't count
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:58:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NonConformist:
Im not saying the Aurora exists but we wouldnt have retired the BlackBirds if we didnt have its replacement, and there are times when you need a spyplane and not just a sattelite

SHHHHHHHHHH stop saying logical things, it scares the DU trolls.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:00:40 PM EDT
If you needed to know, they'd tell you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:15:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 5:22:20 PM EDT by LWilde]
Several years ago, a colleague of mine was working on an interesting project in which they used a "national asset" to track a high speed heat source over the sea and land.

Their test vehicle was a NASA SR-71 to test the "asset's" ability to track fast, low heat sources and provide reasonably accurate data to those who needed to get the info. The HABU was running racetracks with a N-S orientation. The western leg took them out over the ocean.

My colleague told me after his testing was completed that during one run, they got a very anomolous test result. Seems the "asset" locked on and tracked a Mach 6 target (twice what the HABU was doing.) that was tracking from the SSW to the NNE into the Nevada desert.

No other info was available. He had no idea what it was. Was there really anything besides the SR-17 out there that day? I have no clue...but I tend to believe my co-worker. That said...it could have been something else...but I can't guess what.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:43:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LWilde:
Several years ago, a colleague of mine was working on an interesting project in which they used a "national asset" to track a high speed heat source over the sea and land.

Their test vehicle was a NASA SR-71 to test the "asset's" ability to track fast, low heat sources and provide reasonably accurate data to those who needed to get the info. The HABU was running racetracks with a N-S orientation. The western leg took them out over the ocean.

My colleague told me after his testing was completed that during one run, they got a very anomolous test result. Seems the "asset" locked on and tracked a Mach 6 target (twice what the HABU was doing.) that was tracking from the SSW to the NNE into the Nevada desert.

No other info was available. He had no idea what it was. Was there really anything besides the SR-17 out there that day? I have no clue...but I tend to believe my co-worker. That said...it could have been something else...but I can't guess what.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:49:25 PM EDT

UAV's like Predator allow high-altitude surveillance for a much longer loiter time than SR-72's and U2's....Think about what our Air Superiority posture is in today's military...even the F-22 has been looked at as excessive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:01:29 PM EDT
My friends bro worked at Los Almos nuke lab and says hes herd stories from top officals about some things that "do" exist already, and stories about things that are still "projects"and computer modles...............?.?.?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:02:34 PM EDT
It goes as fast as I tell it to, were on the same level.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:05:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ChiefPilot:

Looks like perfectly normal contrails to me.

Shows what you know. Those are CHEM-TRAILS!!!111ELEVEN!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:11:30 PM EDT
Ever notice how Aurora Spy Plane threads appear with about the same frequency as Greatest Guitarists threads?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:15:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:20:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 11:20:42 PM EDT by txgp17]
The first F-117 was delivered nearly 23 years ago in 1982 and Uncle Sam let us the public see one until 1990. What kind of toys do you think he has now that he's not sharing?? It might not be the Aurora, but he's got something.

ETA - Top of the page MOFO's
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:29:10 PM EDT
What I want to see is the plane that supposedly creates its own shockwave to ride.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 11:38:04 PM EDT by eodtech2000]

Originally Posted By Tweak:

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
Scramjet is old technology. There's better stuff out there. I don't think they could ever get the thing to light off more than about 7 or 8 seconds.

I thought the V1 used a pulse detonation engine?

No, it used a pulse jet which is not to be confused with a pulse detonation engine.

A typical pulsejet comprises an air intake fitted with a one-way valve, a combustion chamber, and an acoustically resonant exhaust pipe. The valving is accomplished though the use of reed valves or, in a valveless pulse jet engine, through aerodynamics. Fuel in the form of a gas or liquid aerosol is either mixed with the air in the intake or injected into the combustion chamber. Once the engine is running it requires only an input of fuel, but it usually requires forced air and an ignition method for the fuel-air mix. Once running, the engine is self-sustaining.

The V-1 was designed jointly by Robert Lusser of the Fieseler company and Fritz Gosslau from the Argus engine works as the Fi 103. It was powered by an Argus pulse jet engine providing 2.9 kN (660 lbf) of thrust for a top speed of 630 km/h (390 mph) and a range of around 250 km (150 miles), which was later increased to 400 km (250 miles). It was 7.9 meters (26 feet) long and 5.3 meters (17 feet) in span and weighed 2180 kilograms (4,800 pounds). It flew at an altitude of 100 to 1000 meters (300 to 3,000 feet). It carried an 850-kilogram (1,870-pound) warhead. The missile was a relatively simple device with a fuselage constructed mainly of sheet metal, and could be assembled in around fifty man-hours.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:58:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:05:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tweak:

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:
No, it used a pulse jet which is not to be confused with a pulse detonation engine.

zactly, just finished doing some sniffing. so the scramjet is different from the pulse jet and different from the PDE?

You got it.

SCRAMJET: Supersonic Combustion Ram Jet

Ram jet : Combustion occurs at subsonic speeds. Noisy and inefficient.

Supersonic combustion is a big deal, it's hard to keep the flame lit.

PDE : probably about where the gas turbine was in 1939. I doubt that there is much hardware being built due to more pressing requirements and lack of mission.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:24:48 AM EDT

The guy from NH owned by the gentleman from the southwest. I love it.

Here's something else to think about. Why would you want a spy plane that leaves a visible trail. Part of spying, even if the enemy couldn't stop the plane, is not letting the enemy know what you know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:26:35 AM EDT

I have seen these contrails over South Florida too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:30:14 AM EDT

actually, I believe we do have some projects going, but they are more likely to be hyper-sonic un-manned varieties............armed of course.

At least we hope we do.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:43:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 2:44:20 AM EDT by twonami]
IBTFLTT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:57:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 2:59:59 AM EDT by Master_of_Orion]

ah look it's a 747 contrail

seriously. the Donut on a rope contrail is made by several commerail passanger planes flying a crusing altitudes. It's more a result of humdity, pressure, wind, trubulence, and a LARGE body traveling through it.

I have personaly seen this contrail patern being made by another jet as I looked out the window of the 747 I was in. I have no doubt that the plane I was in was makeing the same contrail.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:10:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:

ah look it's a 747 contrail

seriously. the Donut on a rope contrail is made by several commerail passanger planes flying a crusing altitudes. It's more a result of humdity, pressure, wind, trubulence, and a LARGE body traveling through it.

I have personaly seen this contrail patern being made by another jet as I looked out the window of the 747 I was in. I have no doubt that the plane I was in was makeing the same contrail.

was this explained to you before or after the MIB flashy thingy
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:26:50 AM EDT

It's a pulse jet, Popular Science did a story on in a few years ago. It can be tracked on ground with all the sciesmic detectors out there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:33:16 AM EDT
That 'alphabet company' that starts with an 'N' has a middle initial of 'S' and ends in an 'A' is now headed to each of your homes.

They will start by shooting your dog, confiscating your 'puter, and a 'cavity' search so deep you'll be tasting Bril Cream for a month!!!

Then they are going to get 'serious'.......
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:50:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mfingar:

UAV's like Predator allow high-altitude surveillance for a much longer loiter time than SR-72's and U2's....Think about what our Air Superiority posture is in today's military...even the F-22 has been looked at as excessive.

You might want to study up on your aircraft some before posting next time.

MQ-1 PREDATOR UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE

General Characteristics
Primary Function: Armed reconnaissance, airborne surveillance and target acquisition
Contractor: General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Incorporated
Power Plant: Rotax 914 four cylinder engine producing 101 horsepower
Length: 27 feet (8.22 meters)
Height: 6.9 feet (2.1 meters)
Weight: 1,130 pounds ( 512 kilograms) empty, maximum takeoff weight 2,250 pounds (1,020 kilograms)
Wingspan: 48.7 feet (14.8 meters)
Speed: Cruise speed around 84 mph (70 knots), up to 135 mph
Range: up to 400 nautical miles (454 miles)
Ceiling: up to 25,000 feet (7,620 meters)
Fuel Capacity: 665 pounds (100 gallons)
Payload: 450 pounds (204 kilograms)
System Cost: $40 million (1997 dollars)
Initial operational capability: March 2005
Inventory: Active force, 57; ANG, 0; Reserve, 0

www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=122
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:52:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 2A373:

Originally Posted By mfingar:

You might want to study up on your aircraft some before posting next time.

MQ-1 PREDATOR UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE

General Characteristics
Primary Function: Armed reconnaissance, airborne surveillance and target acquisition
Contractor: General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Incorporated
Power Plant: Rotax 914 four cylinder engine producing 101 horsepower
Length: 27 feet (8.22 meters)
Height: 6.9 feet (2.1 meters)
Weight: 1,130 pounds ( 512 kilograms) empty, maximum takeoff weight 2,250 pounds (1,020 kilograms)
Wingspan: 48.7 feet (14.8 meters)
Speed: Cruise speed around 84 mph (70 knots), up to 135 mph
Range: up to 400 nautical miles (454 miles)
Ceiling: up to 25,000 feet (7,620 meters)
Fuel Capacity: 665 pounds (100 gallons)
Payload: 450 pounds (204 kilograms)
System Cost: $40 million (1997 dollars)
Initial operational capability: March 2005
Inventory: Active force, 57; ANG, 0; Reserve, 0

www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=122

He said UAVs like the Predator. I knew he meant Global Hawk when he said it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:53:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:
Here's something else to think about. Why would you want a spy plane that leaves a visible trail. Part of spying, even if the enemy couldn't stop the plane, is not letting the enemy know what you know.

So SR-71's and U-2's didn't leave contrails? Pretty amazing technology.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:53:51 AM EDT
I heard it is powered by a perpetual motion machine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:57:58 AM EDT

They could also be tracked by radar. This Aurora is supposed to be stealth. Unlike the B-2 and F-117 that can do most of their mission at night, a recon plane needs the sun to get the best pictures. So why leave a clue?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:58:33 AM EDT
Do you guys really think that we would have made the the fact that we were even testing ScramJet technology if it wasn't something that we had already perfected? Remember, we have a history of doing this kind of thing-it was how we bankrupted the old Soviet Union.

Something is currently flying as a replacement to the SR-71, trust and believe it.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:03:26 AM EDT

Most military aircraft don't leave contrails.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:05:09 AM EDT

I was an airframe assembler on the F16XL program back in '81, cool looking airplane. GD(Lockheed) told us we all would have damn good jobs when they sold that beast. I'm glad I got another job elsewhere......
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:10:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 2A373:

Most military aircraft don't leave contrails.

So they've extended the contrail cancelling neutrino field generators for use beyond just spy planes?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:31:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 4:36:21 AM EDT by Valkyrie]
I date a girl that works for Lockheed Martin. I always ask her to get me challenge coins to trade in my command.. Anyway she has got me some great coins. She was involved in the development of Sea Shadow, she travels all over, etc. So I ask her to get me a coin for the Aurora project. She thinks I'm serious. She starts asking around. Boss and some other big shot call her into the office and sternly explain to her that this project does not exist, etc. And was told that she should not be openly asking about classified projects..

One of our reserve pilots is an engineer for a DoD contractor that will remain unamed since coworkers frequent here. But he assures us that just about anything you can imagine has been explored and you would be surprised what is technologically possible..
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:35:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 4:36:25 AM EDT by stipilot]

Originally Posted By CSM:
What I want to see is the plane that supposedly creates its own shockwave to ride.

I think that's exactly what the XB-70 and SR-71 do (or did).
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:13:38 AM EDT

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top