Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2006 2:07:21 PM EDT
I was heading to the range today. I had just gotten off I71 onto st rt 48(near lebonon) minding my own buisness listenting to the radio, when all of the sudden I see flashing lights behind me. Officer informs me I was going 69 in a 50.

Yes, I was speeding

Yes, I deserved to get pulled over, probably even deserved a ticket, but not for 19 over.

Lets get this strait, overcast day, dry pavement on a 4 lane divided highway with nobody in sight.

I am NOT putting anyone at an increased danger by driving highway speeds ON A HIGHWAY!! This is a DIVIDED 4 lane road, if I didnt know any better I could have been on a major interstate.

Anyone who drives this road knows that someone going the speedlimit would cause more danger than anyone else, as everyone goes at least 60 and most above that. If I had gotten caught doing 69 in a 60, ok, no big deal. I deserve a ticket for 9 over. No I dont blame the officer. Who I blame are the people who put in assinine speed limits that INCREASE the danger to the pulic and serve no other good than backdoor taxation.

Its not speed that kills but difference in speed. Why are speed limits that are too low dangerous? Becuase good old grandma will always go the posted limit, while the average guy will be going a speed he is comfortable and safe with while concentrating on the road, not what his speedomiter says.

and finnally a little question for the hive mind, should I try and contest this? Or will I just be wasting my time?

Rant off/

ETA I should proofread more often
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't think you should get a ticket for going 19mph over?

Are you kidding?

You were speeding, pay the ticket and slow down.

And no they are not money makers, while I supports cops I have never seen them work to the point were they actually made a profit for the county.  With court cost and all it usully COSTS money to write a ticket.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The speed limit is the damn limit what dont people understand. 50 means 50 not what ever you are comfortable with. If there was no sign saying reduce speed then yes its a speed trap if you are not paying attention to road sign the shut up and take the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Are you kidding?

And no they are not money makers, while I supports cops I have never seen them work to the point were they actually made a profit for the county.  With court cost and all it usully COSTS money to write a ticket.

They do make money of click it or ticket bull.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are you kidding?

You misunderstood me. Im not saying that I shouldnt have gotten a ticket. I was saying that it is insane to have the posted limit on a rural 4 lane divided highway to be 50mph
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The speed limit is the damn limit what dont people understand. 50 means 50 not what ever you are comfortable with. If there was no sign saying reduce speed then yes its a speed trap if you are not paying attention to road sign the shut up and take the ticket.

Damn, who stole your donut?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
What I think are worse "revenue-collectors" are unmarked police cars for patrol. I'm just fine with unmarked for detectives or "brass", but the idea of a marked police car is so people can see you and also works great for preventative policing. Catching someone after they are speeding is only part of their job. I would much rather have someone NOT going 80 down a 40 rather than have you ticket them for blowing by your unmarked at 80. They are going to speed again. But if you patrol that area regularing in a marked car, people will see it and not speed! The only purpose of uniformed officers in unmarked cars doing patrol, IMHO is to collect revenue for the city. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Pay the ticket; if you are unhappy with the posted speed limit for that area, go to the town meeting for the township in question and voice your concerns. Or, since its a state route, you may need to send a letter voicing your concerns to the state DOT. There is usually a reason why an area like that has a reduced posted limit.Someone should be able to direct you to the right people to speak to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You Sir, know nothing about the state of Ohio...

Some towns only exist because of speeding tickets...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Pay the ticket; if you are unhappy with the posted speed limit for that area, go to the town meeting for the township in question and voice your concerns. Or, since its a state route, you may need to send a letter voicing your concerns to the state DOT. There is usually a reason why an area like that has a reduced posted limit.Someone should be able to direct you to the right people to speak to.

Yep, usually the reason is to make money. Did I mention there is a highway patrol station right near by? I dont think that is coincidence.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck the man.  He is just out to get you.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pay the ticket; if you are unhappy with the posted speed limit for that area, go to the town meeting for the township in question and voice your concerns.

I needed that...have any other gems?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pay the ticket; if you are unhappy with the posted speed limit for that area, go to the town meeting for the township in question and voice your concerns.

Thats the process you go through on this type of issue. Feel free to contribute your own advice if you have anything for him.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Peasants have to pay the Sheriff of Nottingham's men to travel the King's Woods.

Did the carts back then have plates? How about transfer taxes? Or a hay tax?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the process you go through on this type of issue. Feel free to contribute your own advice if you have anything for him.

My advice is to move to Michigan, where the police don't fuck around with anything on the freeway less than 20 over...Detroit has the fastest rush hour in the world, bar none, because the police get out of the way...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Around here if you do 10 over, you get a ticket.

In Dallas, my morning commute was close to 90mph and people were still passing me.

Deal with it. It sucks, I'd rather have a racecourse for a highway as well, but technically...it's the law.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes, I deserved to get pulled over, probably even deserved a ticket, but not for 19 over.

So how much should the ticket have been written over the speed limit?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
The geniuses in Scottsdale PD have decided they are going to put radar cameras on the freeway at a couple locations. Scottsdale has these all over. I almost rear-ended some idiot that slammed on his breaks one night when the flash of the camera went off and blinded him. I can imagine the pile-ups that are going to happen on a freeway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Peasants have to pay the Sheriff of Nottingham's men to travel the King's Woods.

They just took your horse and cart if they wanted it, on top of whatever per centage of your production they normally took. That should make the search and seizure fans here happy that things are better now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They just took your horse and cart if they wanted it, on top of whatever per centage of your production they normally took. That should make the search and seizure fans here happy that things are better now.

Did they plant drugs back then to get a nice cart for the Ole Dare program?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

We pay court costs here. My $50 fine cost me $120
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I am trying to argue is the fact that the speedlimit on the hightway should be conducive to the maximum safe driving speed. On a rural 4 lane divided highway under normal weather I can go alot faster than 50 without puting anyones life at rist.

19 over is going to cost me a buttload, both in the ticket and the insurance compared to 9 over(the limit should be more like 60). I am saying the punishment doesnt fit the crome, if I had been going 1 mph fast I could be at risk for losing my license.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I am trying to argue is the fact that the speedlimit on the hightway should be conducive to the maximum safe driving speed. On a rural 4 lane divided highway under normal weather I can go alot faster than 50 without puting anyones life at rist.

19 over is going to cost me a buttload, both in the ticket and the insurance compared to 9 over(the limit should be more like 60). I am saying the punishment doesnt fit the crome, if I had been going 1 mph fast I could be at risk for losing my license.

You are trying to argue for the idea of context, which is impossible with the LE crowd...

Next time flash a badge...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
If speedtraps = taxation, it is the only VOLUNTARY (and completely avoidable) taxation I know of.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]
At least they didnt shoot your dog.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So do what I suggested and voice your concerns to the body that sets the limits for that road. In the meantime, I am going to direct you to the Driving and the Law section of the discussion forums at www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=3
Your complaint is a common one over there  so you'll find a more forgiving crowd over there, and they usually have a thread tacked about how to deal with tickets you've been issued.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Doesn't matter if the limit is inappropriate or you just don't like it.  It is what it is and you were speeding.  I've seen limits too low, and a few that were too high.  But, I try to be close.  Doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, you were quite simply wrong.  And, that's not a pussy answer, either.  It was posted.  It should also make you think about a "few things" regarding all the law.  Not saying people should be able to drive whatever speed they want, but there can be over-restriction, too.  I'm feeling more and more that some things and some people shouldn't even exist.  MEanwhile, it doesn't do a lot of good to wave the red flag at the bull.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Not sure if its the state of AZ or just Maricopa county, but now if you go 20mph they can tow your car and book you for reckless driving.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I would never pull over for an unmarked police car without first calling 911 on my cell to make sure it is legit...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad the local/county police here are forbidden by law for writing a speeding ticket for anything less than 10mph over. Enough citizens complained and the State legislature passed a sensible law that stopped money-grubbing localities from using speeding fines and the police force as a profit center.

If you want to drive 19 over (and I do mostly on the highways) get a Valentine One if you're in remote areas. Even a cheap BEL from Wal*Mart will help with most lazy traffic enforcers. They just leave their equipment running most of the time, and they sit in the same "hide" day after day. One of the laziest fat boys here bounces his beam 160 degrees off the glass of a gym near the highway.

The detectors won't win in every situation but they'll help you avoid 90% of the traps. I had one unmarked cowboi in N. FL tailgate me for 15 miles with his k-band blasting as I drove 5 mph under the limit in the right lane after I picked him up on my $29.99 Wally World special. As if I was going to be intimidated into speeding up.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Doesn't matter if the limit is inappropriate or you just don't like it.  It is what it is and you were speeding.  I've seen limits too low, and a few that were too high.  But, I try to be close.  Doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, you were quite simply wrong.  And, that's not a pussy answer, either.  It was posted.  It should also make you think about a "few things" regarding all the law.  Not saying people should be able to drive whatever speed they want, but there can be over-restriction, too.  I'm feeling more and more that some things and some people shouldn't even exist.  MEanwhile, it doesn't do a lot of good to wave the red flag at the bull.

Reading comprehension! My God! I admit that I was speeding. I admit that I deserve a ticket for said infraction. My argument is that due to the fact that the posted limit was well under what could be considered safe driving speed the punishment I was issued does not fit the crime.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

now thats funny
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Here's some reality....

- Cops are revenue generators, there is NO doubt about that. Even the ATF admits they have a ratio of 1 to 35 for each dollar spend to the amount of dollars collected.

- If you don't like the speed limit, try to change it.

- You WERE speeding at 19 miles per hour OVER the speed limit.

- You got a ticket for the ACTUAL speed you were speeding.

So what's the problem? Face your responsibility and pay the fine. While there "does" need to be a speed limit on most roads, especially more populated areas, I know what you are saying. But speeding is NOT a Right. It only endangers people when people get into a habit of doing it.

If you don't like the cops, get everyone to not pay their taxes and make it so they have to get fired because no one is give the cops their salaries!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow how many times to I have to say that I admit I was speeding and deserve a ticket?

Part of the reason that there are some many crashes in this country is beacause posted limits are not preportional to safe driving speeds. The road I got caught caught on today you could easily drove 70 on without putting anyone at increased rist. On the other hand I have been on rural 2 lane roads with a 55mph limit where I felt uncomfortable going above 45.

Again. Its not speed that causes accidents if diffence in speed. Talk to any traffic engineer, they will tell you the same. When grandma is driving 45 and jhonny who just got his license is doing 85 on the same highway we have problems. I dont want to be driving down a highway and worry about my speedomiteter when I would be safer just concentrating on the road ahead.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reading comprehension! My God! I admit that I was speeding. I admit that I deserve a ticket for said infraction. My argument is that due to the fact that the posted limit was well under what could be considered safe driving speed the punishment I was issued does not fit the crime.

One of the issues is "considered safe driving speed" - by whom?  That's one of the problems I was driving at.  Unless you are a (somehow) "certified" traffic engineer, your opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans.  No, I'm not criticizing you or trying to insult you, but the courts or the state will view it in exactly that way; and, I'm sure the judge would say something along the lines of "too bad you don't like it..  I'm sure you are a practical person who knows quite well by the feel of the road what's right.  But, that doesn't matter, as we both know.  In some cocksucker states (no, I'm not given to gratuitous vulgarity, but many will agree, I'm sure, the term applies well to places like New Jersey, for example) they will use 1 mile over as an excuse.  My deliberately vague point of the last couple of sentences of my original post was that those given useless power will use it for the most efficient means to their own glorification.  I'm probably semi-hijacking and dragging the thread a bit too far along to my own pet gripes, for which I apologize.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If speedtraps = taxation, it is the only VOLUNTARY (and completely avoidable) taxation I know of.

It's not always voluntary or avoidable.  Sometimes the officers write undeserved tickets.  Like the time I got a ticket for doing 85 in a moving truck that had a speed governor installed, preventing the truck from going over 62.5 mph.  I was in a 65 mph speedzone.  I contested the ticket and ultimately won, but it cost me much more than it would have if I had just paid it and taken the hit to my driving record and insurance.  That said, I feel making the county in question pay more in time spent on the issue was more important than the fatness of my wallet at that particular time.  

I won't get into all the details of what I went through, but it was a lot of work to get out of a BS undeserved ticket.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#37]
The city in California next to San Jose I grew up in had such bored cops that they would ticket you for doing 7 miles over the speed limit. Gang problems and a lrage mall in the town have gotten to the point where they have more important things to concentrate on, now I hear.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#38]
i guess im the only person who NEVER speeds, EVER?

im serious. and stop f'ing changing lanes without signaling!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Why don't you try taking some personal responsibility for once in your life?
You KNEW you were breaking the law by speeding. Is it a defense that YOU don't believe the speed is set right for that particular area? I don't think so.
"Oh yes, your honor, I was going (10, 20, 50, etc.) mph over the speed limit but I think that speed limit is WRONG!"  How ignorant and arrogant can some people be?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What I think are worse "revenue-collectors" are unmarked police cars for patrol. I'm just fine with unmarked for detectives or "brass", but the idea of a marked police car is so people can see you and also works great for preventative policing. Catching someone after they are speeding is only part of their job. I would much rather have someone NOT going 80 down a 40 rather than have you ticket them for blowing by your unmarked at 80. They are going to speed again. But if you patrol that area regularing in a marked car, people will see it and not speed! The only purpose of uniformed officers in unmarked cars doing patrol, IMHO is to collect revenue for the city. YMMV.

I'm so glad your opinion means nothing...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Not sure if its the state of AZ or just Maricopa county, but now if you go 20mph they can tow your car and book you for reckless driving.

"Yes officer, I was going 20 mph over the limit but that little girl should have KNOWN this is a busy street.
And besides, I'M a GREAT DRIVER! I watch NASCAR!"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You KNEW you were breaking the law by speeding. Is it a defense that YOU don't believe the speed is set right for that particular area? I don't think so.
"Oh yes, your honor, I was going (10, 20, 50, etc.) mph over the speed limit but I think that speed limit is WRONG!"  How ignorant and arrogant can some people be?

HEY BUDDY, TRY READING MY POST AND ABOUT 10 OF MY REPLIES!!

I admit I was speeding. I admit I deserved a ticket. My complaint is about the government making certain areas with rediculously low speed limits on purpose that makes the road MORE dangerous all for the purpose of revenue!

Oh wait, im shure you have never been traveling on the highway and looked over a the speedlimit sign and realised you were going 15 mph over the speedlimit. right?

Who here is being arrogant?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#43]
If the speed limit was posted, then you are just whining.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#44]
For those that think it is ONLY about the revenue from the ticket, I just have to ask:

What would you prefer the penalty be for breaking the law?  If not monetary, then what?  a night in jail?  community service?  forfeit your car?  

We all agree that we have to have traffic laws.  The only way that those laws are meaningful is if they are enforced.  If someone breaks the law, there should be some penalty right?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
For those that think it is ONLY about the revenue from the ticket, I just have to ask:

What would you prefer the penalty be for breaking the law?  If not monetary, then what?  a night in jail?  community service?  forfeit your car?  

We all agree that we have to have traffic laws.  The only way that those laws are meaningful is if they are enforced.  If someone breaks the law, there should be some penalty right?  

You obvously have never traveled to OH, where the speed limit drops myseriously by 10 mph for no aparent reason.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Only 19 over?

THAT BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd sue.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I admit I was speeding. I admit I deserved a ticket. My complaint is about the government making certain areas with rediculously low speed limits on purpose that makes the road MORE dangerous all for the purpose of revenue!

Oh wait, im shure you have never been traveling on the highway and looked over a the speedlimit sign and realised you were going 15 mph over the speedlimit. right?

Wow! What are you doing, sitting by your computer and immediately responding to each and every common sense post that says you were wrong? Just hoping and praying that a few people will take your side so it makes you feel better? Unbelievable!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You obvously have never traveled to OH, where the speed limit drops myseriously by 10 mph for no aparent reason.

No.  I have never been to OH.  But if it drops 10mph and its posted, it sounds to me like you know the state well enough to slow down.  If its not posted, I would think you'd hve a pretty good argument in court
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I've been given speeding tickets before. But I didn't cry like a little baby over it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow! What are you doing, sitting by your computer and immediately responding to each and every common sense post that says you were wrong? Just hoping and praying that a few people will take your side so it makes you fel better? Unbelievable!  

I have.  But if I had been busted for it, I wouldn't be bitching about it just being about revenue.  I would cowboy up and pay it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top