Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Roger Daltrey.

+1 on Roger Daltry His range is legendary. The best scream in rock and roll history is from Won't Get Fooled Again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Roy Orbison, never has been another like him...  Though the Mavericks' Raul Malo gives one heck of a try.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgot one...   Brad Delp - Boston
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Roger Daltry and Freddy Mercury
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roger Daltrey.

+1 on Roger Daltry His range is legendary. The best scream in rock and roll history is from Won't Get Fooled Again.

Yeah, but he fried his voice.  I played a concert with (what was left of) The Who in '94.  His scream in Won't Get Fooled Again was uhhh.....bad.  Then again...he was 50

R
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Roy Orbison, never has been another like him...  Though the Mavericks' Raul Malo gives one heck of a try.

mypage.bluewindow.ch/pbalzer/images/Roy_Orbison.jpg

+1 Roy Obrison had the greatest voice ever.  No one can do Pretty woman as well.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bob Seger
Tom Petty

+1

ETA Petty doesnt have the best sounding voice, but his lyrics rock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Chris Cornell-Soundgarden
Maynard Keenan-Tool
Freddie Mercury-Queen

Best female voice

Sarah McLaughlin
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
David Draiman  of Disturbed.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Steve Perry - Journey.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
chris cornell and layne staley

+1  

Damnit, why did layne staley have to die?

If the rock gods had to take someone on heroin, why couldn't it have been the singer from stone temple pilots instead?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
maynard james keenan - tool

Plus Trent Reznor.....heard a couple of tracks with both them singing together ...It ROCKED
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Geddy of course!

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Geoff Tate of QueensRyche......the guy has range.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Elvis Costello,

hands down the best singer and songwriter

period
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
chris cornell and layne staley

+1  

Damnit, why did layne staley have to die?

If the rock gods had to take someone on heroin, why couldn't it have been the singer from stone temple pilots instead?

Layne was the best, imo. Not just with AIC, either....Mad Season "Above" is still one of my favorite cds
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#17]
...Brad Delp... Boston...[/quote[

YEAH!!!!  Rock On!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Although he wasn't my first thought, I think I'm going to have to agree with the Roy Orbison posts.  

The Travelling Wilburys are the greatest band ever...that's right, I said it.

Orbinson, Dylan, Petty, Harrison, and Lynne in one band?  Talk about undefeated coolness.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Although he wasn't my first thought, I think I'm going to have to agree with the Roy Orbison posts.  

The Travelling Wilburys are the greatest band ever...that's right, I said it.

Orbinson, Dylan, Petty, Harrison, and Lynne in one band?  Talk about undefeated coolness.

HELL YEAH give them the respect they deserve. I love them guys, Bob dylan is the coolest.

I like Roger,Pete and even John in The Who they all sing pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
David Draiman  of Disturbed.

www.smellslikemusic.com/artist/pages/0916/images/photos/disturbed.jpg

I second that one. They're nu-metal, but his voice is great.

Also, Paul Rodgers, Robin Trower, another vote for Freddie Mercury and Rob Halford,
Warren Zevon ( is he considered rock?), Eric Adams, Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden wouldn't be Iron Maiden without him....), and John Bush.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#21]
 I wasn't gonna chirp in, but after seeing some of the names on the list I figured I can have my favorite too. Although he might not be the sweetest voice out there he sounds the same with or without any equipment behind him.

Steven   Tyler

Aerosmith  is  the  greatest    
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#22]
You have to rank David Coverdale (from Whitesnake) up there near the top. I saw them live three years ago and he was still at the top of his game vocally.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Geddy of course!

LOL...I love RUSH...but Geddy?  His voice is pretty umm....hmm...unique...but not the best

First I thought of was Freddy Mercury too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Iggy Pop
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Steve Perry from Journey.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Bobby Darin, he died way too early
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Paul Rodgers of Free and Bad Company. He can flat out sing....

Robin Trower would be on my list as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the front man for Bad Company - Not even sure of his name - But I heard him live on the radio - un friggin real!

That would be Paul Rogers.  He's currently touring with Queen.  I'm going to the Philly concert March 14th.  woot!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roger Daltrey.

Yeah, but he fried his voice.  I played a concert with (what was left of) The Who in '94.  His scream in Won't Get Fooled Again was uhhh.....bad.  Then again...he was 50

R

He must've been having a bad night.  I saw The Who in 2002 (right after Entwistle died) and Daltry sounded AWESOME.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roger Daltrey.

R

He must've been having a bad night.  I saw The Who in 2002 (right after Entwistle died) and Daltry sounded AWESOME.

I dunno man.  It was two concerts (Friday and Saturday) and his holler was equally bad both nights.  The rest was OK though, it's just that when he went for the youthfull scream, it sounded...old.  It's on CD too.

R
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Dennis DeYoung (Styx)

Lou Gramm (Foreigner)

Steve Perry (Journey)

David Pack (Ambrosia)

Roy Orbison is king.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Chris Cornell kicks so much ass on this it ain't funny.

The 1st Audioslave disk is like a "how to be the greatest singer in rock" step-by-step manual. 'Like A Stone'...what can you say? It's amazing.

Lots of other greats mentioned here too, but Cornell gets my vote.

Preach on, brother! Preach on!

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Nugent. Attitude helps.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bing Crosby Seriously that man could sing and he was considered "pop" at the time

Yep. We just watched the movie "Holiday Inn"  over New Years and man that guy can sing.

We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!  Bing Crosby... Dont forget Dean Martin...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Steve Perry - Journey.

+1 and Freddy Mercury.

<really surprised to see home many fans the late Mr. Mercury has here!>
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#36]
David Gilmour

Not the best ever but Layne Staley definately deserves an honorable mention.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Gay!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mypage.bluewindow.ch/pbalzer/images/Roy_Orbison.jpg

+1 Roy Obrison had the greatest voice ever.  No one can do Pretty woman as well.

Patty

+2 for Roy Orbison.  

another vote for Freddie Mercury & Elvis.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Get the DVD "Queen Live at Wembley". Freddy Mercury at his best.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Haven't had a chance to read thru pgs 2-4 yet (so I don't know if someone's already said it), so:

Lemmy!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Dio
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Chris Cornell - He can peel paint off the walls
Layne Staley - Love how he changed the inflection of his voice, too bad Heroin addiction took him
Geoff Tate - Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime - Like Cornell, can peel paint off the walls
David Bowie -  his voice changes from record to record
Greg Allman - Just a great Blue's voice - the Allman's, what incredible musicianship!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roger Daltrey.

Yeah, but he fried his voice.  I played a concert with (what was left of) The Who in '94.  His scream in Won't Get Fooled Again was uhhh.....bad.  Then again...he was 50 hr

I dunno man.  It was two concerts (Friday and Saturday) and his holler was equally bad both nights.  The rest was OK though, it's just that when he went for the youthfull scream, it sounded...old.  It's on CD too.

R

I was at the Hollywood Bowl for the first concert after John died... it was not that great... not terrrible, but not great. He's not all what he used to be. I love The Who
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Dennis DeYoung (Styx)

Lou Gramm (Foreigner)
www.summerfestbrea.org/images/lou_gramm.jpg

Steve Perry (Journey)
copacetic-zine.com/pix/blog/steve1e.jpg

David Pack (Ambrosia)
noted.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/dpack.jpg

Roy Orbison is king.

I thought that was David Copperfield.........

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Theres a lot of good ones, but if i had too pick just one, Dio would be that one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Ian Curtis (Joy Division)
Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke)
Robert Smith (The Cure)
Freddie Mercury (Queen)
Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet...mostly horrible songs; incredible singing voice)
Michael Plaster (Soul Whirling Somewhere)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roger Daltrey.

R

R

I was at the Hollywood Bowl for the first concert after John died... it was not that great... not terrrible, but not great. He's not all what he used to be. I love The Who

Yeah, I love 'em too.  It was a freakin' blast playing with 'em (at the time Moon was the only one not there, but Simon Phillips was playing so it was pretty good ).  The concert was to also celebrate Daltrey's and Townshend's 50th birthdays.  It was kinda sad really, cuz at that time Daltrey was still trying to be the young rock star...you know...long hair, tight jeans, leather jacket with no shirt...he looked pretty silly.  He did give a funny speech though, basically saying how when he was younger he would always say "I hope I die before I get old...", and that now his outlook has changed a little bit.  When Townshend came out (figuratively speaking, that is , he had close cropped hair, cool wire rim glasses, and a cool as shit Hugo Boss suit.  Much more dignified and age appropriate.  Then when Entwhistle came out, he was like the college professor. He was wearing tan cords, oxford shirt, tweed blazer with suede elbow patches, sporting a big ole' gray beard and smoking a pipe.

R
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Chris Cornell
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Elvis... because
Freddie Mercury... great style
Ian Gillian... Jesus Christ Superstar
Jay Black... incredible; he probably could have had an opera career
Roy Orbison... unique
John Foggerty... great voice for rock

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#50]
wow.... some of the responses here would be on my list of worst singers

Dio? Plant? Halford? Cornell?

wow.... seriously, wow.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top