Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 11:58:41 AM EDT
I did'nt think so, but an ongoing thread on OA2.org claims rampant Oly bashing here.   I'm not talking just opinions of members but actual deleting of pro Olympic arms posts and reviews by moderators.  Whats the opinion here?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there is any bashing here about Oly. They get a fair shake on their products and sometimes the feedback is valid.

Right now i have 2 Oly lowers. One is great. the other has an out of spec lower reciever.

If i am having a 50% experiance with Olympic, does that mean i am bashing them?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The concensus is that they are not on par with Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, Armalite, etc. Alot of members own them however, and are quite happy with them. I really don't think there's rampant Oly bashing here.

Now Vulcan or Hesse on the other hand...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I expect a certain member will be along shortly with 87 reasons why Olympic sucks
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
There seems to be a general bias here against Oly arms.  

I don't know if it is just a few outspoken critics who make it seem that way or just  general feeling of members who have heard bad things and have passed it along.  I could never put my finger on why.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
No… many just are not very impressed. I owned Olympic products… without a doubt second tier. The truth ain’t bashing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I did'nt think so, but an ongoing thread on OA2.org claims rampant Oly bashing here.   I'm not talking just opinions of members but actual deleting of pro Olympic arms posts and reviews by moderators.  Whats the opinion here?  

Just the Colt snobs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]

call it "a general regard consistant with product quality".

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never seen an official negative policy toward them.  The consenses of opinion is that they are considered the Jennings of AR15 manufacturers, but are still regarded more highly than Joeken.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No… many just are not very impressed. I owned Olympic products… without a doubt second tier. The truth ain’t bashing.

+1

I still own an oly upper, 45acp actually.   If there were other options I probably would have bought something else but oly is the only 45 on the market.  

Their products just arent equal to other manufacturers.   Every time I've asked about them chrome lining they come up with the claims of inaccuracy.    They're full of crap, my Colt Hbar outshot my Oly every time and was far more reliable.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the guns seems to be on par with other low end companies or kit builds.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never owned anything Oly, but their SS barrels actually have a very good reputation for accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
There are many reasons why Olympic Arms is viewed here disfavorabily. All of them are due to Olympic Arms.

I have owned many Olympic Arms products in the past. I will never own one again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i think it's pretty much the reverse. the oly bashing i have seen has been in regards to shitty customer service. the guns seems to be on par with other low end companies or kit builds.

Here I have the oposite reaction, I purchased a Oly PCR 01 HB second hand, now during the ban I had some problems with the rifle, and I called Olympic, and I recieved excelent cutomer service from the gentleman that I talked to (I believe it was Kevin).  I even told them I purchased it second hand, but I still had the warranty card.  Now Glock on the other hand, when I had my G21, and I had some feeding and bulging case issues, and when I dropped it off at their Smyrna plant, I got it back three weeks later stating that they had cleaned it and and shot it, and had no bulging cases, even though I included about 20 cases with signifigant bulging.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
We dont like things that suck

I was going to buy one of their M4 type rifles before the end of the ban with a fixed M4 stock and a muzzle brake but when I picked one up it felt, well "Chincy" and cheap etc:

I was not impressed with their quality on ANY of their firearms I handled and it still seems like they are hit and miss
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
negative news travels fast, positive news is not news
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Oly might be a troll sometimes, but I find his post amusing.  Not to mention his mom is HOT!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I put an Oly receiver on a build I did for my dad. & alls I can say is I'm impressed!

I mean, any receiver that can keep firing after the FC pin slides out far enough to let the hammer tilt because it's only in one side of the receiver has got to be a top flight product.
Seriously unimpressed to tell the truth.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#20]
it seems that they are just anti olyarms
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I think there is definatly a negative bias towards Oly among members of this board, but I'm not aware of any from site staff or moderators or anything.

FWIW I have been very happy with my Oly products, but I prefer my Rock River and I would still reccomend Oly to friends.

-K
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I own three lowers and two uppers IIRC ... the lowers have been fine, the uppers had out-of-spec chambers caused by Oly manufacturing their own reamers back in the day and using them for a bunch too many barrels. These weapons are 6-8 years old and things have changed since then.

People here bash every thing - not just gun manufactures but every thing and anything.

Is anybody familiar with the Site Staff ,Paul guy?

He really sucks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I expect a certain member will be along shortly with 87 reasons why Olympic sucks

Olympic rifles should be banned!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a 20in A2 from oly, it was ok. I now have a oly .45 upper on a cav arms receiver. Have had no problems out of the upper, have really enjoyed it. I agree that they are second tier, but think they are steadily improving their product line.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not talking just opinions of members but actual deleting of pro Olympic arms posts and reviews by moderators.

That's so outrageous it's funny.  

I guess it amuses people to just make crap up like that.

I guess too many people think this is ak-47.net, and brohawk is at the controls.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had several Olys come through my hands, still have a few, and I haven't had problems - but others here have (both products and service).

I have been told by members who were here long before I was that there was a past (before I was here) rift between OA (the company) and AR15.COM (the board itself), but I don't know the details.  IIRC, said rift is considered water under bridge by the big dogs here.  (Clarification and/or correction are welcome - like I said, I only know what I've been told.)

IMHO, they are held in little regard here in general in much the same way that S&W autos are - unfairly so (IMO) but not with any organized or conspiratorial "bashing" that I have seen.  (And I say that being one of their biggest fans/defenders here. )
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Want bashing?  Tell people you bought a model 1 kit.  It won't matter if it's reliable and accurate, heck no, it must be crap because you paid a lot less for it than their ubber elite mall ninja Bushy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Oly sells the heck out of their AR15's and parts up here in the PNW on a scale of 1/10.
I don't see the great masses stopping by Olys table (and the other vendors who sell Oly products) telling them they sell crap.
What I think is that more than anything else it's an east coast (Bushmaster, Armalite, Clot) vs west coast (Oly) thing.

I have owned Oly guns that have had problems, one was a Palmetto Armory / SGW machined lower that was out of spec.
$95 dollars to Oly and I had a remanufactured forged lower that accepted my Clot M4 upper with no problems.
I bought a "problem" Oly from some guy who didn't want to listen to me when I told him that his problems were being caused by an out of spec lower.
I paid less than $500 for it, $95 to Oly and a feww weeks later I had a new forged lower that accepted the Bushmaster upper with no problems.

Oly customer service has never been anything but helpful to me, and has gone out of their way in one case.

I am not arguing the point that Clot, Bushmaster and Armalite make "better" rifles, just saying that Oly products do not deserve the crap they get from this board.

I'll bet that a lot of companies use Oly parts in their rifles.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a few AR's..One of them is a Century Arms, IIRC, it was made by Oly for Century...It is the lower I use the most, and I HAVE yet to have any problems with it at all.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Oly might be a troll sometimes, but I find his post amusing.  Not to mention his mom is HOT!

Ah, so- pitchah, prease!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I recently had a buddy call me up:

Him: Hey man, aren't into AR's or whatever they are?

Me: Yeah, why?

Him: Oh my boss is selling his AR and it's pretty sweet, want to buy it?

Me: What brand is it?

Him: I don't know, I'll find out real fast.

*silence for a while

Him: It's an Olympic Arms Plinker 20, he says he'll sell it and a few "clips" for $900

Me: Uh, I think I'll pass. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I recently had a buddy call me up:

Him: Hey man, aren't into AR's or whatever they are?

Me: Yeah, why?

Him: Oh my boss is selling his AR and it's pretty sweet, want to buy it?

Me: What brand is it?

Him: I don't know, I'll find out real fast.

*silence for a while

Him: It's an Olympic Arms Plinker 20, he says he'll sell it and a few "clips" for $900

Me: Uh, I think I'll pass. Thanks though.

$450 maybe
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Whatever.  My Oly lower works fine.  All the other stuff I picked up from them over the years worked fine too.

Their internet representative, Tom somethingorother, got sick of people bitching with all sorts of unjustified complaints, and refused to renew the company's membership here -- why spend money for an "industry partner" forum here, if all you get is a bunch of hostile crap from Colt/Bushy fanatics? -- and people here seemed to get even more negative after that, as if it were some sort of personal slight against them.

Oly produces some very nice products and I think the anti-Oly whiners on this site should get a life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top