Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Manu Katche

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Blas Elias

If you have seen his set and watched him live, you would know why.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Shannen Larkin from Godsmack. Utterly unbelievable...... absolute favorite

Sully Erna (also from Godsmack) is friggin awesome too!

The Reverend from Avenged Sevenfold is very technical and I like him a lot

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Vinnie Colaiuta

Best drummer
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Some great mentions above on this page.  Vinnie C. is a true drummer's drummer.

How would you like to be Bozzio's tech?

http://www.dwdrums.com/artists/pics/bozzio_wallpaper_800.jpg
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shannen Larkin from Godsmack. Utterly unbelievable...... absolute favorite

guitarrocker1569.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/drummer.jpg

www.tocapercussion.com/pics/artists/sully_erna2.jpg

The Reverend from Avenged Sevenfold is very technical and I like him a lot

www.avengedsevenfold.com/gallery/live04.jpg

Sully's ok but its cool that he solo's with Shannon.

Shannon is a total badass though
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've always liked Neil Peart .  Not only is he a great drummer; he is a thinking man, which in rock and roll is rare.

+1

Phenominal drummer and writer of most of the lyrics for almost 30 years.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know who the best is. It depends on what you like. I rate them like this.

Most tasteful drummer: Catrter Beauford

Most technical drummer: Dave Weckl (this guy's drumming is perfect - not really the best, but just perfect)

My favorite new guy: Benny Greb Benny also seems to have at least two brains: CLICK

Greatest Drummer of old: Buddy Rich

This guy is almost spot on.  Those guys are the best in those catagories, I'd say...

whoever said Lars Ulrich made me lol.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Neil Peart.....in my eyes.  Buddy Rich certainly gets a nod too considering that Neil idolizes the guy.

RUSH
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Mike Aubin - with Deanna Bogart
Bill Bruford - with Yes
The Dude with Dave Matthews
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Buddy Rich

Dave Weckl

Dennis Chambers

John Bonham

Stewart Copeland

Max Roach

Danny Carey

Steve Gadd

Dave Garibaldi

Many more I can't think of right now.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A lot of drummers dislike Neil Peart (Rush) because he's predictable and formulaic musically and  perceived as arrogant/reserved personally.  For me, he's the business.  He tops my list and has been a huge influence on me to think big.  He lost his daughter (car crash) and wife (cancer) within a year of each other ('97-98), and came back.

Who would top your list?  Stewart Copeland?  Billy Cobham?  John Bonham?  Buddy Rich? Others?  

Nate Morton of Rock Star INXS was pretty impressive (along with the guitarist with the fauxhawk).

While you're at it, name your least favorite/most overrated.  Mine: recent Lars "cymbal crash on 2 and 4" Ulrich, T. "spindly punk ass biiiatch" Barker, etc.

Peart. Bonham. and...

Lars.

And he don't give a shit that you don't like him, either.

SG
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]
           Bill Bruford                                                                                                                        
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Where's the love for Ginger Baker?

cream, if I remember right
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Alex Gonzalez of the Mexican rock en espanol MANA is to splashes as Stewart Copeland is to hi hats.  The guy gets a SHITLOAD of sound from a 6-pc kit.

Oh, and anybody who thinks that Peart's current DW toms sound better than the Ludwigs used on Second Nature, Available Light, Animate, etc need a hearing test.  You've damaged your ears with too much AR shooting!

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum3/alexgonzalez1.jpg

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
The great Levon Helm of The Band.  

Great drummer, a great voice - among the most distinctive in Rock & Roll, and one hell of a musician (plays a mean mandolin)...

Also, not all that bad an actor either (he played Jack Ridley and was the narrator in "The Right Stuff.")

Dave Grohl and Stewart Copeland also come to mind.  (BTW - Copeland's father, Miles Copeland, Jr. ws a famous OSS/CIA agent)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Rock drummers?
Peart
Portnoy
Bun E.

I also like Jerry Gaskill (KingsX).

Was that Buddy Miles on John McLaughlin's "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love"?

I think Max Weinberg is pretty sporty as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Neil Peart
Terry Bozio
Massive style points to Tommy Lee
John Bonham

I used to play the drums,and these were the guys I thought highly of.

Quoted:

OT for a minute.Sully is a machine gun fanatic.There is a local show here(fishing,hunting) and one of the episodes was Sully and a host at a Pelham NH range.Sully had a FA Thompson with 100 round drum,AK47 and something else I missed.It was the hosts first time firing a FA weapon and he was ecstatic.

I always liked Godsmack(local band) and after this show,they just went up 4 notches.I most likely helped pay for his FA weapons, through my CD purchases
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Neil Peart - no question.

+ YYZ
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Gene Krupa
of course!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a drummer but my best friend was one.

I'm surprised that only one person has mentioned Carter Beauford of Dave Matthews Band and no one has said Vinnie Paul of Pantera.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#22]
It would be either Stewart Copeland  or Me!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd have to say Keith John Moon (August 23, 1946 – September 7, 1978) was the drummer of the rock group The Who.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Gene Krupa

Buddy "The Rotten Kid" Rich.  Check THIS out!!!   "West Side Story Overture"

www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=BiE38KTMgmY

Buddy was always 110%.

BTW, if you have never heard "The Buddy Rich Tapes" you are missing out.

www.cis.rit.edu/~ejipci/buddy_rich.htm

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Not even a mention of Steve White?  Not a traditional percussionist, but innovative.

Neil Peart is the shit.  Hard to beat (pun intended)

Carter Beauford for style.  That brotha is hooked up, and probably the best rythmist around.

An honorable mention for Tommy Lee.  Stylistic, he was never afraid and was an audience pleaser.

John Bonham for footwork and setting the bar.

John Otto.  C'mon, folks, no one thought to include this cat?  

Phil Collins for creativity (sorry, guys, but you know damn well sticking and singing ain't easy).

Lars Ulrich for setting the modern trend.

Ian Paice.  WTF people?  Not one single vote for Ian, the godfather of speed sticking?  Do we have any actual bangers here, or just a bunch of guys with a set of 7B's knocking head on their desk?  

Okay, folks, check this one out:

Dan Needham.  Most of you have never heard of Dan Needham because he is not a traditional rocker.  You can Google his name, but I'll save you the trouble and tell you he was the drummer for Rebecca St. James.  "Who the fuck is Rebecca St. James" 99.9% of you are asking.  

Rebecca St. James is a contemporary Christian artist that specializes in acoustic sound with traditional beats, whose music spans the gambit of slow, methodical worship to praise music that is akin to sevendust tunes.  Now, before you scoff and start stereotyping, not all Christian music sounds like a cross between rap and Barry Manillo.  As percussionists, the talent should overshadow the lyrics when we search for actual talent.  Needham is probably one of the best around, although he no longer sticks for RSJ - incredibly quick and loves to play complicated beats and difficult changeups, he is the Neal Pert of the Modern Christian Rock Era.  

Check out the God album, specifically "God", "You're the Voice", and "Go and Sin no More."  Actually, the entire album is amazing, as is all her work.  She is amazing with an awsome voice, and Dan (on the older stuff) could tune up a song and make a man glad he invested in the 14" woofers.  Seriously.  If you enjoy raw talent behind a set of double buds, crank RSJ's older stuff on and tell me you cannot really include him.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Tommy Lee

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Whoever plays drums for meshuggah.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#28]
So many great drummers already spoken for both basic & highly technical!

Here are 2 that I always liked:

Lee Kerslake- Played on Ozzys 1st & 2nd solo album & with Uriah Heep

The late Cozy Powell. He played with Michael Schenker & Ritchie Blackmore & many others!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Neil Peart is the best, but

http://www.carmineappice.net/00_intro.html

this guy aint bad either!

Gary
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top