Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 7:13:11 AM EDT
I'm driving from Kansas City down to Biloxi, MS with my dad who's doing some work down there, then flying back a few days later.  I want to take a gun along because we'll be in the Hurricane damaged zone and I don't want to be unarmed down there.  

My question is how do I go about flying home with the pistol.  Do I keep it in it's case and the ammo separate?  Do I keep it in my check in bag and let them know beforehand that I am traveling with a gun?

I just want to know the proper steps so I don't get delayed or they hold the gun and won't let me take it back home.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#1]
You can check the pistol in a locked FAA approved case. You have to go to the airline's counter and inform them that you need to check the item. It has to be locked securely (they'll test it and inspect the lock) and it has to be a box/case that cannot be broken into. It also cannot have any writing on the outside that would label it as a firearm. You cannot bring ammunition onto the plane, nor can you check it. So, you'll have to buy ammo once you get to your destination. You're allowed to carry it into the airport in the locked box/case as long as you are going to the counter to declare and check it.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You can fly with ammunition, up to ..14 pounds of it?  Generally they want it in a seperate container.  They label it as a firearm anyway so I'm not sure about the "not having anything on it that would label it as a firearm" part.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can fly with ammunition, up to ..14 pounds of it?  Generally they want it in a seperate container.  They label it as a firearm anyway so I'm not sure about the "not having anything on it that would label it as a firearm" part.

Yep.  They just want the ammo in the original manufacturer's box.   AKA, the white cardboard box, not a coffee can full of loose rounds.

I've flown with my pistol locked in it's original hard plstic case.   The fact that it says Smith and Wesson all over it pretty much labels it as a firearm.

Instead of listening to everyone here, call your airline, and find out from them what their regulations are.   Then call the state police where you will be, and make sure you are in compliance with State laws as well.

Your ass will be covered, and you'll realize it is a whole lot easier to travel with a gun than you would have thought.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Rem is tell you the way it is.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There is no label on the outside that indicates there is a firearm.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on call your airline. There are federal rules, but many times the airlines have their own. I've never had any trouble with American.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Just use a porcelain Glock 7 and tuck it in your pants. The only problem is that they cost more than you or I will make in a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top