Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 5:20:34 AM EDT
I need to replace the garbage disposal (old one has died).  I am going to buy the same make and model (at least the same horse power), and I am considering installing it my self.

The wiring is already there from the old one, so I figure how hard could it be.  The most plumbing I have done before is minor stuff (replace kitchen faucets etc.).  

Any tips, am I in over my head?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Should be plug and play. Any one with any sort of mechanical ability should be able to do it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a very simple procedure.  If you follow the instructions that come with the replacement, it should be very easy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I just replaced mine last month.
The basic mount was already in place (no sense in changing it) and I found the same model (but now made out of plastic).  I just rewired the connections and twisted the new unit in place.

30 minutes of work.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]

is it tuff to install?  

No. Sink drain attachment, locking collar underneath, discharge pipe, and electrical plug. That's it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]
It is easy.  If you intend to use the exact same model, just bolt the new one on.  Most come with a new ring for the bottom of the sink, so if you want to replace that just pick up a small tub of plumber's putty to seal it with.  It is very easy to do.  If you are planning to get the same one so you can reuse the existing mount, don't limit yourself.  If you just want the same one, that's fine, but installing one from scratch is about as difficult as putting a barrel on an upper receiver!  If you can do that, you can put in a disposal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Easy job.  In fact, I just watched the "Toolbelt Diva" do it last week.

If she can do it with those big, beautiful cans in her way, anyone can.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#8]
yup. I did mine a month ago. all you need is a screw driver to hook up the electrical (access panel) and to tighten the drain clamp. Do yourself a favor and get a 555ss or 777ss (5 or 7 year warranty ones). The others like the badger 3 are junk.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#9]
It was simple. I do recommend shutting off the circuit breaker, and not just the wall switch, to the disposer while doing the job.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Easy job.  In fact, I just watched the "Toolbelt Diva" do it last week.

If she can do it with those big, beautiful cans in her way, anyone can.

Well I'll have to work around my man-boobs.

If I screw it up I am sure that Mrs. Wedge will tape it, so I get some mpeg files uploaded and release it on DVD.  

Perhaps with a directors cut, and alternate ending where I fight the in-sink-erator on the surface of Mars.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]
My disposal died, I went to HomeDepot bought the same exact model and had the old one out and the new one in within 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Its spelled "tough", not tuff.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Easy Peasy!!

You can do it man!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's spelled "tough", not tuff.

Chris

Fixed your typo correcting typo for you.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Simple. Just a single beer install.

If you have a dishwasher drain into the old disposal remember to punch out  the plug before you hang the new one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#16]
All the ones I have ever seen are outlet plug ins.  

Good advice to trip the breaker.  It might be easier if you have GFIs in you kitchen to just trip that.  Make sure you test it though.

Plumbers putty is a little messy but if you are replacing the drain ring it is important.  Just roll up a snake of it place it around the drain ring and clean off the excess when you are done.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It was simple. I do recommend shutting off the circuit breaker, and not just the wall switch, to the disposer while doing the job.

I just unplugged it from the outlet under the sink. Whatever works to really remove power.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just unplugged it from the outlet under the sink. Whatever works to really remove power.

Good idea, I got jolted pretty good when I was doing a R&R garbage disposal at her pareents apartments.

Shouldn't be too hard, my wife has done a few of them, and she's not all that mechanically inclined.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#19]
The 30 minutes tops.  I installed mine on Christmas Eve.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1 your disposer should be on it's own circuit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I need to replace the garbage disposal (old one has died).  I am going to buy the same make and model (at least the same horse power), and I am considering installing it my self.

The wiring is already there from the old one, so I figure how hard could it be.  The most plumbing I have done before is minor stuff (replace kitchen faucets etc.).  

Any tips, am I in over my head?

Just be sure you punch out the plug in the garbage disposal where the dishwasher line hooks to it....

other than that...piece of cake...well not cake...more like PIE!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top