Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2006 10:03:50 PM EDT
Like the title said.  Was this like the greatest term after "tactical" became a fashionable word?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a blanket-term for all soldiers and policemen, only high-speed/low-drag guys such as SEALs, SF, SWAT and that kinda stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Anymore, it reaks of airsoft. Blech.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
last 3-5 years and i think it is dumb
" I would like to make a collect call please operator "
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always thought it sounds stupid, myself. And when did this "Hoooaah" thing get started in the Army? Hell, when I was in, if you went around going "HOOOAAHHHH!!!!" all the time, everybody in the unit would look at you like you were some kind of whacko.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, it has to do with some farking legalities as for example they can't be called agents.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
When a term gets overused, you can almost always blame marketing.

This is no exception.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I call myself "operator", namely because I was so good at this...

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Im a "operator" that runs a S3 shop.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree it's stupid and over used!

operator out...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
For years and years it was used by the "Delta" types and nobody else. Then a few books on the subject got published and the term became common knowledge, and suddenly every SWAT cop started calling themselves "operators" trying to be cool.

I haven't heard anyone in the military use it in some time however.... and it does now get a laugh from me whenever I hear some part-time swat cop refer to himself as an "operator".

I guess its like "civilian", misuse it untill the new use becomes common knowledge.............
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
You can only take down "tangos" if you are an "operator".  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]
it was probably started by colt/hk kool aid drinking magpul brand whore freaks who wanted to feel like they were important
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
For years and years it was used by the "Delta" types and nobody else. Then a few books on the subject got published and the term became common knowledge, and suddenly every SWAT cop started calling themselves "operators" trying to be cool.

I haven't heard anyone in the military use it in some time however.... and it does now get a laugh from me whenever I hear some part-time swat cop refer to himself as an "operator".

I guess its like "civilian", misuse it untill the new use becomes common knowledge.............

No matter how you put it, SWAT cops and cops in general are still civilians.  I think its funny when they try to act like theyre above the rest.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No matter how you put it, SWAT cops and cops in general are still civilians.  I think its funny when they try to act like theyre above the rest.

Did you wake up with your panties in a wad or did you adjust them that way?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha, Im glad you took offense.  Someday when I retire from the MILITARY I will join a CIVILIAN police force like yours.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
yeah hate to break it to ya bub, but cops are just regular citizens with arrest powers and issued weapons.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Really? I had no idea I was a civilian until you guys pointed it out. Thanks alot. And BTW I am also still serving in the military, almost 17 years. Which is where the nickname came from, not from civilian LE if that is a thought you might have had.

LE is not just like civilan contrary to you tin hatters. You don't call your neighbor when you get robbed or getting beat up you call us. We are held to a higher standard and responsibility...

Ah fuck it. I am just wasting my breath here.

But I do think that civies should be able to own the same toys we do if that matters any. I just also know why LE thinks the way it does from the inside. That's my main point.

Oh and TRH, if we were just "regular citizens" we wouldn't have arrest powers and issued weapons now would we?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Agents is for FLEO.  Cop is for LEO. Soldier is for the military.  Operator is for security contractors.  Or just use "hey you" for any and all :)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Really? I had no idea I was a civilian until you guys pointed it out. Thanks alot. And BTW I am also still serving in the military, almost 17 years. Which is where the nickname came from, not from civilian LE if that is a thought you might have had.

LE is not just like civilan contrary to you tin hatters. You don't call your neighbor when you get robbed or getting beat up you call us. We are held to a higher standard and responsibility...

Ah fuck it. I am just wasting my breath here.

But I do think that civies should be able to own the same toys we do if that matters any. I just also know why LE thinks the way it does from the inside. That's my main point.

Oh and TRH, if we were just "regular citizens" we wouldn't have arrest powers and issued weapons now would we?

What a nice steaming pile of shit your fingers painted with your keyboard.

- rem

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm sure you're a great guy and everything, but I have to take issue with this. I'm not saying that being an LEO is "like" a civilian, I'm saying they ARE civilians. They are not subject to the UCMJ, therefore they are civilians. This is not an insult, nor does it diminish their role.

If I'm getting robbed or beat up, I call the police AFTER the agressor is imobilized in some manner. I'd just as soon not call them at all. They are civilians.

If my house is on fire, I call the fire department. They are held to a higher standard, and shoulder a huge responsibility. They are civilians.

If I'm seriously wounded, I call a paramedic. They are held to a higher standard, and shoulder a huge responsibility. They are civilians.

If my children are uneducated, I seek a teacher. They are held to a higher standard, and shoulder a huge responsibility. They are civilians.

If my freedom is at stake, my country calls on our armed forces. They are held to the HIGHEST standard, and shoulder the biggest responsibility. They are not tried in the same courts, they do not serve time in the same prisons, they are not subject to the same laws, and their personal sacrifice is without equal. They are Soldiers. They are Marines. They are protectors of my freedom. They are NOT civilians.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Cops aren't civilians, then the USA is a police state.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Guy's like these consider themselves "tactical operators"

[pic originally from a poster on 10-8]

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#23]
LOL, that's great.  It is going to the pic collection :)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Non-police civilians have firearms, and they also have arrest powers.  The only difference is that police officers can arrest for a misdemeaner.

Calm down a little bit there, Turbo.

OPERATOR=

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Non-police civilians have firearms, and they also have arrest powers.  The only difference is that police officers can arrest for a misdemeaner.

+1. If doctors were just "regular citizens" they wouldn't be able to practice medicine or prescribe medication now, would they? I can go on and on. I never figured out why some cops get so bent out of shape over this. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Whenever a cop takes issue with being called a civilian, I wonder what lesser meaning they assign to the word.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure you're a great guy and everything, but I have to take issue with this. I'm not saying that being an LEO is "like" a civilian, I'm saying they ARE civilians. They are not subject to the UCMJ, therefore they are civilians. This is not an insult, nor does it diminish their role.

If I'm getting robbed or beat up, I call the police AFTER the agressor is imobilized in some manner. I'd just as soon not call them at all. They are civilians.

If my house is on fire, I call the fire department. They are held to a higher standard, and shoulder a huge responsibility. They are civilians.

If I'm seriously wounded, I call a paramedic. They are held to a higher standard, and shoulder a huge responsibility. They are civilians.

If my children are uneducated, I seek a teacher. They are held to a higher standard, and shoulder a huge responsibility. They are civilians.

If my freedom is at stake, my country calls on our armed forces. They are held to the HIGHEST standard, and shoulder the biggest responsibility. They are not tried in the same courts, they do not serve time in the same prisons, they are not subject to the same laws, and their personal sacrifice is without equal. They are Soldiers. They are Marines. They are protectors of my freedom. They are NOT civilians.

Put that on a bumper sticker & I'll buy it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Operator.
Oh, could you help me place this call?
See the number on the matchbook is old and faded.
She's living in LA.
With my best old ex-friend Ray.
Guy she said she knew, well and sometimes hated.

Isn't that the way they say it goes?
Well lets forget all that
and give me the number if you can find it
so I can call just to tell them I'm fine
and to show
I've overcome the blow.
I've learned to take it well.
I only wish my words could just convince myself.
That it just wasn't real
but that's not the way it feels.

Operator.
Oh, could you help me place this call.
Cause I can't read the number that you just gave me.
There's something in my eye's.
You know it happens every time
I think about the love that I thought would save me.

(Chorus)

No, no, no, no. That's not the way it feels.

Operator.
Well, lets forget about this call.
There's no one there I really wanted to talk to.
Thank you for your time.
Oh, you've been so much more than kind.
And you can keep the dime.

(Chorus)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Texas, civilians can arrest others for misdemeanor offenses such as theft & disturbing the peace.      

In Florida unsworn citizens can arrest each other for any felony or for misdemeanors committed in their presence. They just have to be right, gov't employees having exclusive license to make boneheaded errors in those areas without fear of personal civil liability. In a way, the definition of LEO in Florida is "A person authorized to make retarded decisions without personal responsibility for damages."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Operator.
Oh, could you help me place this call?
See the number on the matchbook is old and faded.
She's living in LA.
With my best old ex-friend Ray.
Guy she said she knew, well and sometimes hated.

Isn't that the way they say it goes?
Well lets forget all that
and give me the number if you can find it
so I can call just to tell them I'm fine
and to show
I've overcome the blow.
I've learned to take it well.
I only wish my words could just convince myself.
That it just wasn't real
but that's not the way it feels.

Operator.
Oh, could you help me place this call.
Cause I can't read the number that you just gave me.
There's something in my eye's.
You know it happens every time
I think about the love that I thought would save me.

(Chorus)

No, no, no, no. That's not the way it feels.

Operator.
Well, lets forget about this call.
There's no one there I really wanted to talk to.
Thank you for your time.
Oh, you've been so much more than kind.
And you can keep the dime.

(Chorus)

Hello operator
can you give me number nine?
can i see you later?
will you give me back my dime?
turn the oscillator
twist it with a dollar bill
mail man bring the paper
leave it on my window sill

Find a canary
a bird to bring my message home
carry my obituary
my coffin doesnt have a phone
how you gonna get the money?
send papers to an empty home?
how you gonna get the money?
nobody to answer the phone

ETA: I hate it when police call us civilians.  Some seem to think that they are just prison guards with a bigger facility or something, and that everyone is beneath them.  I ain't never met a cop that was any more human than I am.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
it was probably started by colt/hk kool aid drinking magpul brand whore freaks who wanted to feel like they were important

+1

I would say the answer to the original question is when SWAT members started to look like military units. Remember in the old days where the movies show SWAT teams in a large meat wagon / paddy wagon arriving on the scene with ballistic vests and maybe helmets (mostly black ball caps), and MAYBE a M16/AR?

Nowadays they'll arrive on the scene with headsets, NVGs, PASGT helmets, Level IIIA armor, HK G36s, HK MP5s, and M113s.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#34]
This thread makes baby Jesus sad...

Hello--how are you
Have you been alright, through all those lonely nights,
That’s what I’d say, I’d tell you everything,
If you’d pick up that telephone.

Hey--how you feelin’
Are you still the same
Don’t you realize the things we did were all for real not a dream,
I just can’t believe
They’ve all faded out of view.

I look into the sky
(the love you need ain’t gonna see you through.)
And I wonder why
(the little things are finally coming true.)

Chorus
Telephone line, give me some time, I’m living in twilight
Telephone line, give me some time, I’m living in twilight

O.k. so no--one’s answering,
Well can’t you just let it ring a little longer
I’ll just sit tight, through the shadows of the night
Let it ring for evermore.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:21:52 AM EDT
[#35]
June 16, 1994.  The exact date.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:35:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Police officers are civilians by legal definition.

Period.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:39:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha, Im glad you took offense.  Someday when I retire from the MILITARY I will join a CIVILIAN police force like yours.

+1

Ownage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Hijack!

I don't call the cops when I'm being robbed or beaten up.  I call them to come out and pick up the dead bodies after someone's attempted such a thing.  The cops will never get there in time to be of any help whatsoever if I'm being beaten up or robbed.

End of hijack!

Heck, I generally don't call anyone an operator, except those guys who wear the plantronics headsets attached to the radios and electronics things.  Those guys kind of look like Judy, the Time-Life Operator.  

ETA pic
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:41:02 AM EDT
[#39]
It originated on Arfcom, in early 2004
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

OMG that's funny!!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/SD6clx/14876-jktumt.jpg

OMG that's funny!!!

that IS funny!

"what to put inside empty pouches"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:48:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Like the title said.  Was this like the greatest term after "tactical" became a fashionable word?

This usage of the word "operator" had its origins within the (at one time) highly classified world of units the US government does not or did not acknowledge the existence of (Delta, Team Six, etc...).  A certain language developed organically to refer to the people places and things within that highly specialized world.

As folks left those units and went into the "civilized" world and tried to make a living off of the enormous skillset they aquired, certain aspects of that language leaked out to the wider world. Then it was only a matter of time before people began to abuse the word until it becomes a charicature of its former self.

It is always a chucke to be around some gunshow attender who manages to cram dozens of "tactical buzz words" into every sentence, believing, I guess, that these will make him sound more competent than he is.

Within every profession there is a language unique to it. Try talking to a Doctor on a Doctor's level sometime. There is a lingo that those outside the profession do not know and understand. The same is true of the profession of arms. This language leaks out to the wider world from time to time, but the professionals don't pay much attention to it.

Why did the word "operator" come into use describing a person involved in a team with CQB training and missions? Lots of theories exist. My personal favorite is the one I overheard somewhere:

"They call us operators because we can connect you to Jesus..."

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

If you can't look down and see your toes or your penis, you don't qualify as "tactical" or an "operator". Running around in all that "gear" does, however, qualify someone for instant dork status. I enjoy playing PC games to unwind but the sad part is that some people believe that because they have played them, that now they are "in the know".

They augment their video game knowledge by playing with plastic guns that shoot BBs (another fun toy that has been blown WAAAAY out of proportion) and then thinking they are "training", as opposed to being a bunch of idiots shooting each other with plastic BBs in the woods.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:53:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hijack!

I don't call the cops when I'm being robbed or beaten up.  I call them to come out and pick up the dead bodies after someone's attempted such a thing.  The cops will never get there in time to be of any help whatsoever if I'm being beaten up or robbed.

End of hijack!

Heck, I generally don't call anyone an operator, except those guys who wear the plantronics headsets attached to the radios and electronics things.  Those guys kind of look like Judy, the Time-Life Operator.  

www.timecommunication.com/img/up_operator.jpg

ETA pic

I would also like to point out that when I call 911, I am not calling the police, but an emergency OPERATOR.  Police are like janitors except they try and figure out who is to blame for the mess.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:57:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Its funny, we have never called our guys operators.  We call them the team.  Why you ask?  Simple, they are trained and function as a team.  It therefore seams logical to call them the team.

I thought all beat cops referred to the department SWAT/SRT/ESU/WHATEVER team as:

"Those sonsab*tches who get all the cool toys and the huge budget..."

The term operator however is regularly used in gear and gadget magazines by savvy marketing types who want to booste egos and sell more gear that they will likely never use.  How much junk can you actually hang off the rifle until it actually gets in the way?

Nothing beats taking a carbine, a weapon designed to be light and handy, and hanging 20 pounds of sh*t all over it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:03:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
"what to put inside empty pouches"

Heheheh. I loved that one, too!

How about "How to: Make Cordura look 'Used!'"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I alway got a kick out of that pic.  Lets take the 240 gunner out of action doing a buddy carry while the slow fat kid with an M4 pulls security.

Thats all I have to contribute.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I would say it became popular about the time when law enforcement reffers to the public at large as "civilians"...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top