Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 7:47:53 PM EDT
When I pull an obviously fried sound card out of my motherboard, I no longer get a signal going to the monitor.  When i put it back in the slot, I once again get a signal to the monitor.  Yes, I'm sure I'm removing the soundcard.  
Additionally, i have no sound at present, despite installng a new sound card in another slot, and cannot get the computer to recognize and use the new card even though it detects it.

Ideas?

Thanks much

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Range Trip.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
xp?

did you remove the device from the hardware manager before you took it out?

Do you video get during boot?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Range Trip.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
yes, it's XP.

my video card shows up during bootup when the soundcard is in.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yes, it's XP.

my video card shows up during bootup when the soundcard is in.

ok, do you get any part of the windows bootup screen at all, or does it get through the boot screen and then go blank?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
oh, and did you uninstall the sound card in the device manager first?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
perhaps your motherboard got partially zapped too... But I'm not an expert.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

yes moboad sound fried.... i could make suggestions. would take weeks and more space than is available here.

time for a new puter...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
WAG (Wild assed guess) - disable the plug and play service and restart the computer. Shutdown. Restart again and enable the plug and play service. Shutdown. Hope for nirvana.

SWAG (Super Wild assed Guess) - Go into your BIOS and change "plug and play bios installed" option for off to on or vice versa

SSWAG (take a guess) - Remove the soundcard. Boot the computer in safe mode. Uninstall the sound card driver. install soundcard. reboot into safemode again and install the soundcard drivers under safe mode. reboot normally

Also, try turning off (or on) busmastering in the bios if it's there.

Also, try reordering the slot your soundcard lives in with some of the other cards.

Windows (all flavors) is a crapshoot. It may take a while to find the right combo. You may have to bite the bullet and rebuild.

Sacrificing a live chicken over the CPU may help

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes moboad sound fried.... i could make suggestions. would take weeks and more space than is available here.

time for a new puter...

I don't think it's fried, because he gets video on boot. Means video card is working, that part of mobo is working, and windows is just having an issue with it.

What I'd do:

1 Remove new sound card
2 Put old sound card back in
3 boot windows
4 Go into device manager. Uninstall old sound card. Make sure new sound card isn't listed.
5 shut down.
6. remove old sound card.
7. turn on power. Should boot up into windows.  if it does:
-let computer boot up.
-shut computer down
-install new sound card
if it doesn't boot up into windows with video:
- turn off computer.
- DON'T install new sound card!
- unplug computer from power supply. Let it sit for about 30 seconds.
- turn computer back on
Then it should boot. If it doesn't, try repeating this a couple times

If this fails, post here again.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Blew the motherboard..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
WAG (Wild assed guess) - disable the plug and play service and restart the computer. Shutdown. Restart again and enable the plug and play service. Shutdown. Hope for nirvana.

SWAG (Super Wild assed Guess) - Go into your BIOS and change "plug and play bios installed" option for off to on or vice versa

SSWAG (take a guess) - Remove the soundcard. Boot the computer in safe mode. Uninstall the sound card driver. install soundcard. reboot into safemode again and install the soundcard drivers under safe mode. reboot normally

Also, try turning off (or on) busmastering in the bios if it's there.

Also, try reordering the slot your soundcard lives in with some of the other cards.

Windows (all flavors) is a crapshoot. It may take a while to find the right combo. You may have to bite the bullet and rebuild.

Sacrificing a live chicken over the CPU may help

SSSSSSWWWWWAAAAAGGG (before the chicken part) find itty-bitty battery on moboard.. remove... leave out for 60 seconds, put back in, restart puter, see wats up... make sure of course that the puter is unplugged from everything before you do this.... this actually worked once on a mobard that was struck by lightning. came thru network card, fried NIC, replaced NIC, did above and it worked (1 chicken life saved).
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
there is absolutely no output to the monitor when that soundcard is not installed.  
when it is installed, the videocard data flashes briefly on startup like always.  

no.  I did not change anything in hardware manager before removing it.  next question - wtf would a sound card have anything to do with output to a monitor two slots away?  

I don't have a chicken.  do you think my neighbor's dog would work?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
there is absolutely no output to the monitor when that soundcard is not installed.  
when it is installed, the videocard data flashes briefly on startup like always.  

no.  I did not change anything in hardware manager before removing it.  next question - wtf would a sound card have anything to do with output to a monitor two slots away?  

how old is puter?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ok -I thought you said you got video through the bootup with the sound card out.

"wtf would a sound card have anything to do with output to a monitor two slots away?  " -

It's windows. It doesn't make any  sense. Most of it is like a voodoo ritual when stuff like this happens. You have to try a few voodoo rituals to trick the evil windows spirits into doing what you want them to do.

If you're not getting video through bootup with the sound card pulled, then it's not a windows problem., though.

Some / most mobos are still getting power even with the machine turned off - and it retains some settings / memory of the last state of the computer. Which iswhy sometimes it's necessary to remove the power flow to the computer entirely to let it flush itself. Then try again and go back to the last hardware setup that worked for you.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#16]
at present, both soundcards are in place on the board.  it is entirely possible that i fried a slot several months ago, because i haven't had sound since I got the computer back from my brother.  
It is just now that i actually have gotten around to dicking around wiht it to see if it could be fixed or if i need to buy another mo-board.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
how old is puter?

It was assembled from parts about a year ago.  everything was knew except the hard drive, DVD, and zip drives, video card, and D-link.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#18]
motherboard = messed

What fried your soundcard to begin with?  If the pc was running fine and then you tried installing some new hardware that was not compatable with your motherboard and your soundcard died....chances are your motherboard went too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok -I thought you said you got video through the bootup with the sound card out.

"wtf would a sound card have anything to do with output to a monitor two slots away?  " -

It's windows. It doesn't make any  sense. Most of it is like a voodoo ritual when stuff like this happens. You have to try a few voodoo rituals to trick the evil windows spirits into doing what you want them to do.

I understand.  Windows is a terrrrrrrific pain in the ass sometimes.  

If you're not getting video through bootup with the sound card pulled, then it's not a windows problem., though.

That was my thought - it's probably a fried slot, but even when i remove the dead card and stick it in another slot, i don't get video.  I may just bite the bullet and buy a new MB.

Some / most mobos are still getting power even with the machine turned off - and it retains some settings / memory of the last state of the computer. Which iswhy sometimes it's necessary to remove the power flow to the computer entirely to let it flush itself. Then try again and go back to the last hardware setup that worked for you.

This, unfortunately, is the last known configuration that worked for me.    I made sure i turned off and unplugged the power before i pulled or placed anything in the computer.  

I will take a look and see if i can find the hardware manager, and also check out some of the other suggestions posted here.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
on my old homebuilt pc:

installing new uncompatable video card = fried motherboard

if you have slots that are not working, it is definately your motherboard.

ETA: some of the PCI slots on my old pc worked with the bad MB, some didnt.  Non-working slots = messed motherboard regardless of how many work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how old is puter?

It was assembled from parts about a year ago.  everything was knew except the hard drive, DVD, and zip drives, video card, and D-link.

Does it past POST (power on self test). Should beep or complain early in the bootup.

to fix problems like this, i break it down completely and start putting in parts I know that work. but then i have tons of extra parts and pcs. in other words, take mobard , put in another case (could be power supply problem). put in completely different parts and see if it will boot to bios... then you start putting in the old parts 1 at a time till you duplicate the problem. then you fix.

i would also do a complete bios rebuild too. you need correct bios on some sort of media (almost always floppy) and how you do this is specific to the mobard..

removing the itty bitty battery is the start of this. wipes all bios settings out. someone wasn't trying to overclock it ? you could have zapped it that way. also, memory going bad, will give you this problem. hwo memory interacts with installed cards may vary your bootup anomalies too... of course in the above list of hardware you need extra memory sticks. but you might start by removing one stick and then the other...

this is way its time to killitwithfire and buy a new moboard..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
how old is puter?

Does it past POST (power on self test). Should beep or complain early in the bootup.

Yes, it does, with the bad soundcard removed, just no vid

to fix problems like this, i break it down completely and start putting in parts I know that work. but then i have tons of extra parts and pcs. in other words, take mobard , put in another case (could be power supply problem). put in completely different parts and see if it will boot to bios... then you start putting in the old parts 1 at a time till you duplicate the problem. then you fix.

i would also do a complete bios rebuild too. you need correct bios on some sort of media (almost always floppy) and how you do this is specific to the mobard..

removing the itty bitty battery is the start of this. wipes all bios settings out. someone wasn't trying to overclock it ? you could have zapped it that way. also, memory going bad, will give you this problem. hwo memory interacts with installed cards may vary your bootup anomalies too... of course in the above list of hardware you need extra memory sticks. but you might start by removing one stick and then the other...

Nope, no one has tried to overclock it (i don't even have the faintest idea how to do that).  The RAM is good, I've confirmed that.  

this is way its time to killitwithfire and buy a new moboard..

I will probably end up shitcanning this board.  Maybe I will tape its head back on and sell it to a blind kid for 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Ya know, it's your life, but your prolly spending more time on the the thing than it's worth. You can get a primo MB and processor with close to the latest technolgy (with onboard soundcard, nic and auto asswiper) for a buck and a half with no hassle and headache. Just a thought.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Range Trip.  

+1

With Tannerite.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I've gotta say, I've never seen that happen before.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a similar problem on a chaintech mobo.  The mobo turned out to be shit.  It was not my sound card, but it was a network card that was doing it to me.  Made no freaking sense.  You might try popping the cmos battery, but other then that I got no clue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
You think that bad...I turned on my computer to find an "Operating system not found." message. Many restarts later and trying to slave it fix the mbr I finally get get it to go to the boot selection screen start it normally see xp logo and crawler then..........wait for it........BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!! for a very brief second and an auto reboot. Only do I get this when I have a second hd hooked up that is win95 (doesn't boot 95 though).

A friend is looking at trying to get the data of it now. Then.....RANGE TRIP!!!!!

(oh and I cant get to the BIOS menu, unless i get an error then it doesn't even show my hd exists!!!)

I hate technology. I miss DOS. Another way to fix shit w/o going through windows! Linux here I come. I feel your computer frustation related pain.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Have you tried replacing the vid card when you remove the sound card(s)?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#30]
UPDATE

I have replaced the motherboard.  Now, when I start it, it goes to the boot selection screen.  I hit "start it normally" or any of the safe modes/ last working settings and I see crawler then BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH  for a very brief second and an auto reboot.

Ideas?

besides shooooooooting it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
UPDATE

I have replaced the motherboard.  Now, when I start it, it goes to the boot selection screen.  I hit "start it normally" or any of the safe modes/ last working settings and I see crawler then BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH  for a very brief second and an auto reboot.

Ideas?

Reinstall Windows.. I've had some interesting issues swapping an installed and running drive to a new motherboard.. Even swapping factory replacement mobo's for "identical" parts.  It was more obvious in older Windows versions, but there are a lot of drivers loaded to handle motherboard resources.. Important stuff.  They're looking for different hardware than you have now.

If you're getting to the boot selection screen, I believe your hardware issues are about over.. She's getting through POST at least.

Aint surges fuuuuuun?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Does the motherboard have on board video?

Remove EVERY add-on device, sound, video, adapters, USB, extra drives, use the on board video and non-usb mouse/keyboard.

Boot up and see if you can get your windows to open.

If you can, then remove all of the drivers/ software for all of the stuff you have added in.

Then add one item at a time.

My advice.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've gotta say, I've never seen that happen before.

I have.  It was on an ATX style machine, and I swapped memory without unplugging the power - I just shut it off.  The fucking thing would only ever work with THAT memory stick ever again.  Weird.  I pulled the BIOS battery, tried different replacement memory, everything.  If I didn't use that specific stick I got a bunch of POST beeps.  Yes, I am sure the memory wasn't too big for that slot and all the other "did you check...." items that people could post.

Never fuck with the inside of a machine without pulling the damn power plug.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
UPDATE

Ideas?

Uh, you replaced the mobo without re-installing the fucking OS?  

If you truly do have an older hard drive, do yourself a favor - go to Wal Mart, get a $80 160GB hard drive, and install it.  The newer drives are so much faster than what was out there a few years ago.  It made a huge difference in one of my machines when I replaced an old 40GB (5400RPM) drive with a new 160GB drive.

Besides, you can then install Windows on your new disk, and then salvage all your stuff off the old disk.  Piece of cake, and much less hassle than reinstalling on the same drive and cleaning up directories like "Program Files" after the fact.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATE

Ideas?

If you truly do have an older hard drive, do yourself a favor - go to Wal Mart, get a $80 160GB hard drive, and install it.  The newer drives are so much faster than what was out there a few years ago.  It made a huge difference in one of my machines when I replaced an old 40GB (5400RPM) drive with a new 160GB drive.

Besides, you can then install Windows on your new disk, and then salvage all your stuff off the old disk.  Piece of cake, and much less hassle than reinstalling on the same drive and cleaning up directories like "Program Files" after the fact.

hrrrrm.  taking advice for later consideration.

I have swapped out mb's before without reinstalling the OS, and observed no ill effects.  Bear with me, I'm computer stupid despite spending so much time using them as an ME student...

the current HD is about 80 gig and  7200 rpm.  

Thanks for the suggestions, gents.
I should have the chance to check back in again before i leave for drill tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATE

Ideas?

I have swapped out mb's before without reinstalling the OS, and observed no ill effects.  Bear with me, I'm computer stupid despite spending so much time using them as an ME student...

I should have the chance to check back in again before i leave for drill tomorrow.

If it's a version of XP, there's a very good chance you'll have to to reinstall.......

XP is a royal pain in the ass about what it'll let you change before getting the old BSOD like you experienced.   Sometimes you can change a whole mobo if the physical components on it are similar enough, sometimes it'll just crap out......

More than likely you'll have to reinstall.....  It's probably just the easiest solution, at this point.

You can TRY to run a 'repair install' from the cd (do not choose any manual optons, choose automatic repair). It might just fix the application layer gateway (interface between software and hardware - usually the thing that causes it to shit the bed, on large hardware changes)  and work again......  With XP, it's pretty much hit or miss.  Nothing's a given anymore....

With a little luck, it might just work...

John
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#37]
if you didn't replace the motherboard with the same chipset.  the computer will load to a bluescreen.

hopefully you had a backup of the info on the system.   a fresh install is most likely in your future.  

you might try doing a repair install.   but those don't always help  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATE

Ideas?

Yea, it's gonna be reinstall time.

If you swap identical motherboards, it's no problem.  Problem is even mobos with the same part number might not be identical, and the BIOS has to be set up the same too.  XP does some neat stuff with drivers, but

Somewhere in there, you ran into a problem.  You have to reinstall, and frankly trying to work with what's there won't lead to a stable system.  You should start fresh, but you most likely have shit on the drive that you want to keep.

Start from the XP CD, and run a new install on the drive, but don't format it (yet).  When it boots up, things might about work, but it'll likely be kludgy.  Copy off your documents and the shit you want to save to Zip or CD or external or keychain or whatever.. Get it off the drive.  Now is the time to be MacGyver.  

Boot again from the XP CD.  Reformat the hard drive.  Install a fresh copy of the OS.  Run all your updates.  Install your applications, return your data from backup, and enjoy your new machine.  My sympathies on your shit sandwich.

As you "move in" on your new setup, plan for this to happen again.  Keep your crap in one spot, back it up every once in a while.

Fair warning though, if you've experienced a serious surge like a lightning strike, don't be surprised to see other stuff blow up down the line.  It's like a bad car accident.  You can put the machine back together, but it's never the same.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Alright, thanks everyone for the advice, i will try to make a meal out of that shit sandwich sitting in the other room.  The gravy my roommate has left in the fridge for the past 2 weeks should assist in making it palatable.

Here's hoping a system restore works, but if not, i have a usb drive available.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top