Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 5:21:28 PM EDT
Was thinking of doing some online trading. Anybody recommend a sight? PROS and CONS? Anything i should be aware of ? I have a couple grand to play with thought it might be fun to mess with it maybe score a new rifle out of the deal . I have a few stocks i have been watching.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have TDWaterhouse. They are in the process of merging with Ameritrade.

If you are just looking to do a few smaller trades I'd seriously look at Scottrade.com. I intend to move my account there as I don't trade enough to justify the ever increasing fees at TDW.

Nothing personal but you really ought to just consider a good mutal fund if you only have a couple of grand. Take it from someone whose lost more than several 'couple' of grand. The stock market is a brutal mistress that shows no mercy for the weak.

Unless you have a really good line on a couple of $5 stocks about to really take off. Then I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If you are just looking to do a few smaller trades I'd seriously look at Scottrade.com. I intend to move my account there as I don't trade enough to justify the ever increasing fees at TDW.

Nothing personal but you really ought to just consider a good mutal fund if you only have a couple of grand. Take it from someone whose lost more than several 'couple' of grand. The stock market is a brutal mistress that shows no mercy for the weak.

Unless you have a really good line on a couple of $5 stocks about to really take off. Then I'm all ears.

x2 on everything.

I use Scottrade, very happy with it.
I also have a Roth IRA through Vangaurd which has done well, I recommend that as well. Some of the funds are 10k minimum, but some are 1k minimum. Theres a $10 per year fee for accounts under 10k.

On the whole, very happy with Scotttrade.
Now to be honest, I'm not so happy with some of my stock picks.

The stock market is indeed a cruel mistress, and she takes great pleasures in abusing me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

x2 on everything.

I use Scottrade, very happy with it.
I also have a Roth IRA through Vangaurd which has done well, I recommend that as well. Some of the funds are 10k minimum, but some are 1k minimum. Theres a $10 per year fee for accounts under 10k.

On the whole, very happy with Scotttrade.
Now to be honest, I'm not so happy with some of my stock picks.

The stock market is indeed a cruel mistress, and she takes great pleasures in abusing me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Scottrade is my favoire.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking to day trade or buy some funds? A couple k is not going to get you far in day trading unless you happen to know something or get very lucky.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Sharebuilder.com. I like for small stuff. Buying and holding a share. free dividen reinvestment. Buy for $4 on Tuesday. If you are interested let me know I can send you a link and I will get 5 transactions for free. I need you email address.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for Scottrade.  I have been very pleased with them for both stock trades and mutual fund purchases.

d.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
i had ameritrade- I admit I am a dumass but i did not like their fees (yearly and each trade)  dumped them last year.

have not tried others
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:03:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had TDWaterhouse, Datek (now Ameritrade), E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, etc...  The line about how you need a broker to execute trades is just another institutionalized scam.  The only advice they will give you is to buy the stuff they are trying to unload.

They will all do unless you do options or get fancy.  Of the 4 I listed, I'd go with Ameritrade.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the better question would be "is there anyone that buys stock with a live broker anymore?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top