Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 2:54:09 PM EDT
This is a test, this is only a test.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you would know the answer to that. They don't sign them here in NYS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I vote no

my understanding is that it's an acknowledgment that you were cited, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
In PA it states on the ticket that signing this is not ad admission of guilt, it is acknowlaging you recieved the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Acknowledging receipt of the citation, and acknowledging/agreeing to appear in court.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
No it's not.  You are signing the citation showing that you are aware of what you are being charged with and are aware of the court date assigned to your charge.  You are basically signing a summons and a bond.  

In GA,  refusing to sign a citation requires the driver to post a cash bond at the nearest law enforcement center (jail).  I love it when the driver tells me he/she ain't signing shit.  How quickly he/she signs it after I inform them that they are required to post a cash bond by not signing it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
nope......not at all.

It is a promise to appear.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
No, it is just that you are signing for the ticket, not that you are guilty.  Not signing it, at least in Florida, is arrestable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a TRAP!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
This was part of my ticket speech when I was on the road.   " signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt or innocence, it mearly means you have received a copy of your charges"   It is just a receipt.  It also means that the signature is "in lue of bail", but that is in GA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No it's not.  You are signing the citation showing that you are aware of what you are being charged with and are aware of the court date assigned to your charge.  You are basically signing a summons and a bond.  

In GA,  refusing to sign a citation requires the driver to post a cash bond at the nearest law enforcement center (jail).  I love it when the driver tells me he/she ain't signing shit.  How quickly he/she signs it after I inform them that they are required to post a cash bond by not signing it.

Do people post cash bonds?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Its a TRAP!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/takeda/trojanakbar4ry.jpg

That is fantastic!  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I never had to sign anything in IL when I used to rack up the speeding tickets so fast that they named a street in Schaumburg after me.

BTW, is the moustache a requirement for employment in traffic enforcement?

I wouldn't sign any govt paper without a knowledgeable lawyer's advice. Especially anything from the IRS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]
In Oklahoma, signing a citation is only posting Personal Recognizance bond. If you don't sign it, then you have not posted bond and you go to jail to be held for court.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, it is an admission of guilt. Plain and simple. And by signing the ticket, you have given the officer the ability to hold "roadside court" in which he is the judge, jury and executioner and can dole out punishment, including but not limited to summary execution. He will dispatch you with his issued duty sidearm.

Now, this is hardly used today, but dates back to mid 1800's or so, possibly farther back, where the marshall could try and convict you of stealing horses and then execute you by hanging while the crime was fresh and courts were few.

This is why you should try and escape the offending officer always. Your best defense in court would be that you were in fear of your life - if you make it to court. It's best to make the officer "work for it" than just rolling over and showing your belly.

Fight it with all your might. Your very life could depend on it.

BTW, I always sign them and have never been executed yet. But one day I might be.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I wouldn't sign any govt paper without a knowledgeable lawyer's advice.

Then you had better stay out of the beautiful state of Texas.

In Texas, if you refuse to sign a "promise to appear" (personal recognizance bond) you leave the Police Officer with no other choice.

You get to ride in the back seat of a Crown Vic.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
No it's not. You are signing the citation showing that you are aware of what you are being charged with and are aware of the court date assigned to your charge. You are basically signing a summons and a bond.

In GA, refusing to sign a citation requires the driver to post a cash bond at the nearest law enforcement center (jail). I love it when the driver tells me he/she ain't signing shit. How quickly he/she signs it after I inform them that they are required to post a cash bond by not signing it.

Correctomundo!  Every ticket I have ever seen (I have only received four myself) states on the ticket that signing is not an admission of guilt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
In Pennsylvania yes it is!!

BUT...

It does say on the back if you wish to conteest it how to do it within Ten days!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought it was an acknowledgment to appear in court on the date specified.
Been a long time since I've gotten a ticket, though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In PA it states on the ticket that signing this is not ad admission of guilt, it is acknowlaging you recieved the ticket.

I am pretty sure thats the way it goes everywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top