Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 9:39:55 AM EDT

I’m fat.  I’m not morbidly obese.  I can run, I take long(several mile) walks with no problem, I can spend all day hiking miles in the woods with full hunting gear.  So I am not a worthless blob, but I got  big ol’ jiggley gut and some flabby hams and man boobs. (sorry, no pics.)

Problem I have is nervous eating.  Eating when I am not really hungry.  Just…something to do.  So I’m eating better, and loosing weight, but slower than I know I could.  

Carrots, celery and water are a heck of  a lot better than chips, candy and soda, but still, do you know what an entire bag of carrots does to you in the bathroom?
Besides just forcing myself not to eat. You all have tips for kicking this habit of constant snacking?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
When the "I'm bored, what's in the fridge?" urge comes up I usually try to just go outside and get some fresh air for a while. Take a short walk around the block, go for a ride, simple things to keep the brain busy enough that eating "just because" isn't so tempting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Wack off
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Start smoking.  

Seriously, I have the same problem.  Brain goes "Sigh.  I'm bored.  Say, let's go see what's in the fridge!"

I have to consciously stop myself and make myself close the door without getting anything.  I don't always succeed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Duct tape?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#5]
some people drink water instead
just don't overdo it, messes up your electrolytes
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you have an oral fixation.

I guess we all know where that AD went now huh?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got the same battle man. Bored or nervous and I'm munching. The only thing that will really fix it is will and determination. I got tired of being a fat SOB and I am taking a proactive stance. It's all about setting a goal and keeping set on it no matter what.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Put a mirror on your fridge' door and look at yourself (shirtless) every time you want to go into it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
A time-consuming hobby like model building would be good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Not sure what your household situation is but in my case it's myself so I simply just do not have food in the house that can be readily eaten.  I'll buy fruit and vegetables so if I feel the urge to snack then I don't have a choice it's either eat healthy or go without.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wack off

Can't at work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a very bad habit of between-meal snacking. As soon as I get home from work I stark going through all the cabinets looking for something whether I'm hungry or not. I am not overweight by any means, but I don't want to end up with heart disease either. The months of October through February are the worst simply because of all the holiday candy and junk that's available on nearly every aisle display. What's really bad is when all that holiday candy is marked down. I tend to go overboard then.

I make a concious effort to avoid junk food in the grocery store. I just keep strolling past it like it doesn't exist. It took a lot of practice, but I've gotten pretty good at it. I do get some sort of treat, but I just don't overdo it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wack off

Can't at work.

What, you don't have a bathroom?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wack off

Can't at work.

So?

Pretty sure I'm not supposed to be posting on here all the damn time either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#15]
You have to learn to snack on low cal foods, so basically were talking veggies WITHOUT all the dips that have all the fat and such in it. Broccoli, califlower, celery, carrots, and the like will not make you gain weight. Hell, a true veggitarian [spelled wrong deliberatly] has a hard time keeping weight on because of the massive amounts one has to eat to get enough nutients. There is a reason some plant eating animals have 4 stomachs. ANd eat slower, and nibble.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wack off

Take that advice, it's excellent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wack off

Can't at work.

What, you don't have a bathroom?  

Yeah, but its busy, and it is just regular stalls.  Don't know if I can be quiet about it enough.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#18]
lmao

i've laughed more today than any day on arfcom

for excersice i do push ups.   and ride a mt bike 12 miles every other day............... during the spring and summer
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Try chewing gum. It sorta sugary like your favorite snack and all the chewing tricks your brain into thinking your eating.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Light up a marlboro
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Man dont do the whacking thing at work. I don't need to see the news here about some over weight dude dieing while whacking it in the bathroom.

Thats just wrong...

Take up online games.. The wifle has dropped 8 LBS in 2 weeks, while playing Land Of the Dead..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Try chewing gum. It sorta sugary like your favorite snack and all the chewing tricks your brain into thinking your eating.

Thought about it, but I don't like gum much.  It bugs me after a few minutes of chewing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Man dont do the whacking thing at work. I don't need to see the news here about some over weight dude dieing while whacking it in the bathroom.

Thats just wrong...

Take up online games.. The wifle has dropped 8 LBS in 2 weeks, while playing Land Of the Dead..

I like to snack while I play games.

Just finished Call of Duty 2.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats just wrong...

I like to snack while I play games.

Just finished Call of Duty 2.

Man you need something with a bit more action.. Like Multiplayer..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#25]
bump for night crew.

I drank a Slim Fast.  First time ever having one.  I have not touched any food for 4.5 hours since I drank it.  Maybe I found somthing good here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I eat when Im bored.

Need to work more, I'll eat less
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quite plainly, if the food is not in the house...

YOU CANT EAT IT.

Come on man.

The mirror glued to the fridge is an excellent idea.

Put a couple in the cupboards while you are at it.

Try this dude,

Every time you want to eat a snack...

Drop and beat your face for 10-20 pushups.

You will get great excercise, and stop that urge.

It will force you to confront the problem that you are out of shape and overweight.

Here, try this... attempt to do jumping jacks for say 2-4 minutes every time you want a snack.

See what that shows you about your cardiovascular health.

You might be shocked.

Best of luck,

Dram out
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
bump for night crew.

I drank a Slim Fast.  First time ever having one.  I have not touched any food for 4.5 hours since I drank it.  Maybe I found somthing good here.

Your gonna have the squirts tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#29]
If you want to get rid of a bad habbit, replace it with a good one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Eat foods that are high in fat, moderate in protien and ZERO carbs. Eat all you want. Not only will you loose weight but your appetite will decrease dramatically.
Eating sugar and carbs justs makes you hungier. High fat food makes you fill full.
Also, this diet is so damn disgusting you wont have much of a desire to eat that shit.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#33]
this thread is making me hungry...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump for night crew.

Now I'm getting worried.  It has been 15.5 hours and I have not eaten anything...and I'm not really hungry.

No squirts btw.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Slim Fast is actually pretty good in the morning, used to take one with me on the way to classes.  Sounds like you got the excercising down, now it's just your diet.  Substitute higher protein, lower carb foods for snacks and you'll notice a difference.  A great snack with very little carbs is cheese, and certain kinds not all kinds.  

-mark
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#36]
The motivation to get up out of your chair is the good part. There was recent research that showed that one of the differences between overweight people and non-overweight folks was that the non-overweight folks would get out of their chairs more often to walk around.

Now all you have to do is redirect what happens when you feel that nervous energy and get out of your chair. Make it a rule that before you hit the refrigerator you will accomplish one or two tasks. It could be something as simple as taking out the garbage. Anything productive will do.  It will take seven weeks to restructure your habits. If you can manage the pattern that long, you should be good to go forever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Excercise. Get outside more - not getting enough daylight can cause a craving to stcokpile calories. Stop buying junk food and keep a lot of fruits on hand. Going long hours without eating is not healthy, you may drop weight but your metabolism will slow so as soon as you start eating again guess what will happen? Humans are designed to work best eating small nutrient rich meals every 3-4 waking hours.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The motivation to get up out of your chair is the good part. There was recent research that showed that one of the differences between overweight people and non-overweight folks was that the non-overweight folks would get out of their chairs more often to walk around.

Now all you have to do is redirect what happens when you feel that nervous energy and get out of your chair. Make it a rule that before you hit the refrigerator you will accomplish one or two tasks. It could be something as simple as taking out the garbage. Anything productive will do.  It will take seven weeks to restructure your habits. If you can manage the pattern that long, you should be good to go forever.

I get up and walk around so much that it annoys co-workers.
I'm the most active fat guy you will ever meet.

I get the excersis.  I have not gained weight in about a year..even through the holidays. I have maintained the current amount of flabbyness.  My diet is the problem.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get up and walk around so much that it annoys co-workers.
I'm the most active fat guy you will ever meet.

I get the excersis.  I have not gained weight in about a year..even through the holidays. I have maintained the current amount of flabbyness.  My diet is the problem.

Another thing you might try is taking arginine, ornithine, and a good general amino acid mixture. These are growth hormone releasers that you can get at any health food store. I went from a very flabby 165 to a very muscular 195 in about five years without any exercise at all.

But it doesn't sound to me like diet is really your problem. It sounds to me that the problem is that you are eating -- whatever. Therefore, I would recommend that you do whatever you can in the way of other activities to delay the moment you start eating. Just find five minutes of something to do before you put your hand on the fridge. Then extend the time to ten minutes, etc.

I am a little too much in that direction. I tend to tell myself that I will do just one more thing before I get something to eat -- just five more minutes. The problem is that I tend to do this repeatedly and don't wind up eating lunch sometimes until three in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#40]
if your really serious or stuck ask your doctor to recommend a nutritionist.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
bump for night crew.

Those slim fast powders used to mix up well with ice cream for milkshakes.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump for night crew.

Those slim fast powders used to mix up well with ice cream for milkshakes.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump for night crew.

Known as Slim Fart around here.  Don't ask...

FB
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Wack off

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top