Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 8:53:03 AM EDT

My brother gave me this one for christmas.  It employs the D-size motors and parachute recovery.  Her maiden flight will be saturday.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet! Man I haven't done that since i was a kid in the 80's..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagged for general interest.

My models are generally designed NOT to return to Earth intact.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#3]
They're a little dusty since they've been in my attic for 20+ years.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet! It's been years since I've played with model rockets. It'd be kind of fun now, since you could conceivably install wireless cameras nowdays. Hmmm...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I was, back in grade school. Mom used to help.

Man, we had one hell of a good time with those things!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
yes they have cameras just for model rockets now, i i think it is more fun to throw the engine against the wall a few times, or roll it under foot on concrete, then run a LONG wire to the ignitor
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Gotta get into the high powered homemade ones with ammonium nitrate fuel.

I bought this bookset, but only made a few engines from sugar/KNO3.  Still haven't made a true high powered engine.

www.space-rockets.com/cptech.html

ETA: Yes, Democrats want to ban these too
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#8]
man, you seen that commercial with the rocket that goes orizontal instead of vertical? that is wild!

i've always wanted to get into rocketry but it looks so damn complicated and expensive!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've gotten back into the small  Estes rockets again so my kids can enjoy them as I did.

My shooting buddy is into the high power stuff.  He's "only" got a level 1 cert. but he still can spend lots of money.  His last couple kits cost approx. $60-80 and run about $10-15 per launch.  He's sending rockets that weigh about a pound  3000 feet into the sky (and recovering them most of the time).

Kent
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I got my son the Estes starter kit for Christmas.  Can't wait to build that, but we've been focused on the Pinewood derby recently.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Have done that in years.  My son is going to turn 7 here in a few months.  Could be time to go get a kit.  We'd have to wait until we get some rain here in Oklahoma though before firing it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I got my son the Estes starter kit for Christmas.  Can't wait to build that, but we've been focused on the Pinewood derby recently.....

Pinewood Derby car... ...Estes rocket engine... ...Pinewood Derby car... ...Estes rocket engine...

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
We recently got into highpower rocketry. Estes go from A to D motors. Highpower goes from I to O.
A jump in one letter means a two-fold jump in thrust.

It is expensive. A typical 6 foot rocket kit costs around $200. A "J" motor costs $50 and the motor case another $50. So each launch costs $50.

Then you can add alitimeters with two parachutes (drogue and the larger one to slow you down for the landing).

Our record so far is 4200 feet in altitude.

Somefolks put digital video cameras pointing down, or up on the booster of a 2 stage.

Check out www.johncoker.com for his rocketry stuff. He has great information and links to most of the important sites.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Used to do it alot as a kid.

My favorite was one I designed myself that was pretty much a D engine with fins. It was awsome! It was so fast you almost didnt even see it launch, it was just there and then it was gone. Im shure it must have broke the sound barrier.

Needless to say I only launched it once
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I wanna make a nox/parrafin rocket
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to be into that when I was a kid.

None of my rockets are still intact though.

I used to stuff them full of firecrackers or any other explisives I could find and then glued the nose-cone on.

The rocket would get up into the air and then KABOOM!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pinewood Derby car... ...Estes rocket engine... ...Pinewood Derby car... ...Estes rocket engine...

Been there, done that.  Hot Wheels were the best.  They went really fast until they hit a bump and chose a new random direction.  

I cringe when I think of the value of the Star Wars and GI Joe toys that were used for low-level flight testing.  X-Wings have the glide path of a brick.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I cringe when I think of the value of the Star Wars and GI Joe toys that were used for low-level flight testing.  X-Wings have the glide path of a brick.  

And the GI Joe six-wheeled yellow ATV (circa 1969) is about as aerodynamic as a set of car keys.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag for HPR links
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to make those back when I was a kid. They're all at my parents' house back in Florida. The biggest one I made was a 2-stage with D engines. I never did figure out where it went after we launched it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've gotten back into the small  Estes rockets again so my kids can enjoy them as I did....

Kent

+1

Hmmmm, would the ejection charge ignite Tannerite??????
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes unfortunatly, they often get lost across the road into national forest, which is full of cactus.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Used to do it alot as a kid.

My favorite was one I designed myself that was pretty much a D engine with fins. It was awsome! It was so fast you almost didnt even see it launch, it was just there and then it was gone. Im shure it must have broke the sound barrier.

Needless to say I only launched it once

I did the same thing.  Painted it bright orange but never found it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yes unfortunatly, they often get lost across the road into national forest, which is full of cactus.

If you live south of Tuscon near the old bombing range I may have found your rocket about 6 years ago looking for Unexploded Ordnance.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Does this count?  

Sorry..couldn't help myself!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Not a chance.  Ejection charges are black powder.  Tannerite requires a hypersonic shock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a 29mm Estes-powered rocket to launch from this, if that counts (sub-caliber training device is installed):

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]
4500' eh? I should mount a rail on my Cessna and launch one DOWN from say 12,000' with a camera installed. That would be a cool video tape to watch! Or, launch one UP from 15,000 (with proper permission of course) You could get some really good video from that if you had a 5.8 gigahertz transmitter installed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a chance.  Ejection charges are black powder.  Tannerite requires a hypersonic shock.

I talked to Daniel Tanner about using a carefully designed black powder charge to detonate Tannerite in a rock hole for blasting purposes.  He said it was unlikely to work and was very nice about explaining why not.  It was a very pleasant conversation.  Very nice guy.

I ended up getting a pure blackpowder charge to work, thanks to Mr. Tanner's info.  The advice I got from a blasting expert failed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow I haven't thought about rockets for years. I loved building and flying them. I always wanted to fly a three stage rocket. Built one but never flew it due to no place to fly with a chance of some recovery.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you do, make sure your car is very sturdy, make sure it has some sort of guidance to keep it from going airborn and for god sakes stand behind some sort of protective barrier.

6 weeks in the hospital having your arm repaired sucks when you're 12
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#32]
You did that with a model rocket?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#33]
A model D12-5 rocket motor in a model car.
The car went airborn, disentegrated and the motor flew back and hit me in the chest, I tried to block the motor as it flew toward me but I was little slow and wound up up pinning it between my chest and arm, by the time I realized what was happening it had already burned all the way down to my wrist along the bone.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's some of mine...  NAR Level 1 Certified.   All mine are scratch built or modified kits.  

TC

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone else?  

TC

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, did some of the rockets as a kid.  My favorte was the Comanche-3, a 3 stager with the first stage a D.  That thing floated about 1/4 mile away on a streamer it went so high.  I actually had one catch fire, it was called blackhawk or something like that.  I had a central engine and two nose cones like some kind of stealth looking thing.  The parachute blast was supposed to route from the central engine area to one of the side cones.  When it launched, it only went up about 20 feet then turned horizontal and soon hit the ground nose first.  The engine still burned for several more seconds.  When it was time for the chute, it "popped, but the nose cone was stuck in the ground and the center carboard had a hole blown in it an it caught on fire.  It was awesome.

My dad has recently been launching some again, and I think I;d like to again.  Of course, being a gun nut when I see something that can fly into the air at my command I always think, "Pull!"

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Of course, being a gun nut when I see something that can fly into the air at my command I always think, "Pull!"

Let's face it:

Model rocketry is the gateway drug to firearms.  It's a horrible affliction.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Ah, the memories ...

By the way mice do survive ...
I was big into the Apollo, Space Shuttle, etc.

I decided to build myself an Apollo look-alike with a D engine and a margarine-type plastic tub to house the mouse.  Got up about 100 ft, spinning end-over-end and crash landed.  (90% sure the engine was off-center.)

Then the ejection charge cut loose, popped off the "capsule" (as designed ) and the mouse was fine

edit: and tag for the maiden flight
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Sweet! Man I haven't done that since i was a kid in the 80's..

Back in the 70's for me, our school had a hobbies study thing, grades 4-6 every year the rocketry group had a waiting list.  It was taught be the Principal, we were taught the basics of rocketry in the winter and order your rockets.  In the spring we had a hobby day that let everybody show off their stuff, but the climax of the day was the rocket launches.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I was into Estes and Flight Systems.

I gave them up when I started shooting my Nylon 66 in the early 70’s.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish I could post mine. 3 D type motors and that thing would FLY!! But it had a malfunction and the chute didnt open. So it burried the entire thing in the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top