Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 8:44:50 AM EDT

I'm waiting on Tmobile to offer a free camera phone with contract, and wondering if it is in vain.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
BB,

I use Tmobile because I travel outside the US.  If you don't regularly do that, then I would recommend you use Verizon (Verizon) or Cingular (SBC/Bell South).

Both of them either essentially are or are owned by major "Baby Bells."  What we refer to RBOCs now.  Verizon, SBC, Bell South, Sprint and Qwest will be the only major phone companies in the US in two or less years.  

Tmobile is owned by Deutsche Telecom, who was the only player left without a dance partner when the music stopped.  I would expect Sprint or Qwest to also drop out of the picture within a few years.

G
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

...I would expect Sprint or Qwest to also drop out of the picture within a few years...

G

Sprint?

I don't get it.   (BTW, sorry for the hijack)   I'm not saying you are wrong, I don't keep up with this kind of thing.  Sprint just bought Nextel.  Aren't they like some kind of giga-company now?  Where do they all get the money to buy each other all day long?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 I would expect Sprint or Qwest to also drop out of the picture within a few years.

G

Based on what, exactly?

I work in wireless, what would make you say anything like that? Do you have any experience in the industry? With an attitude like that, you must work for Verizon - they're pretty arrogant.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Cell phone deal searchers (along with comments, ratings by people of the phones, carriers, deals, and rebates):

www.letstalk.com/

www.mobiledia.com/
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#5]
There was recently a major analysis/rating done on cell phone providers recently by Consumer's Reports.  Price and quality of service of the various providers seems to vary considerably by geographic area-----check out the article before you decide.  Also, I wouldn't be concerned about providers going out of business; what always happens is that their "book" of business is bought by the "survivor".
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
After 14 good years with Alltel here in Virginia, I recently made the switch to Verizon.

So far so good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I would expect Sprint or Qwest to also drop out of the picture within a few years.

G

Based on what, exactly?

I work in wireless, what would make you say anything like that? Do you have any experience in the industry? With an attitude like that, you must work for Verizon - they're pretty arrogant.

Actually, yes I do work in the industry and not for an RBOC.  If you understand VoIP, the fixed line business, wireless and International long distance charges you could conclude that there is really only room for two or three players in any telecom market.  In the US I expect Verizon and SBC/AT&T to be the major players and the Sprint/Qwest/Tmobile tier to consolidate.   The FCC probably won't let one of the big two buy them so they have little other choice.  Vonage can't go public because investors don't want a cash-hungry business with little upside.  The same limitations will apply to the other non-fixed line carriers.

The fixed line business is a huge cash machine for the operators that have residential and business customers.  What revenue drivers to the second tier operators have?  Nothing that compares and in the end the big two will be able to or already do offer, the exact same "add-ons" that are currently offered by the second tier players.  Snacking, video, etc.  As the fixed line business wanes (baby boomers won't give up "real" telephones but their children will) SBC-ATT/Verizon will have already written off the plant capital to a necessary level to earn a profit on the slim margin wireless business.  They'll also have stored up huge cash reserves that will dwarf the "new entrants" and second tier companies.

What will second tier players do when 4G comes along?  Will they be able to raise billions in capital to build new plant?  No, they will offer less state-of-the-art products and slowly be marginalized by the big two.  

Of course, people here still buy 1911 pistols so why do I bother using logic and facts to explain business or economics.

G

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Camera phones suck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#9]
try here

http://www.howardforums.com

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Of course, people here still buy 1911 pistols so why do I bother using logic and facts to explain business or economics.

G

Wow, ragging on a hugely reliable pistol and the one wireless company that caters to business in one thread.  I think that is a major accomplishment.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Cell phones suck.

I don't need to be THAT connected.

Been avoiding getting one and I have been doing pretty well without one thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top