Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I, for one, never complain about pilot salaries.

I seem to remember a recent event where the front nose gear wheels were locked sideways and the pilot brought it down smooth as silk.

Lets see a silicon chip try that!  (Well not really, I'm just making a point)

Ok let's talk about what happened there.  

Fly/Drive by wire control on a French/German mulitnational community jet, failure in the comp (probably buit or overhauled in China, because we have to be internationals.)and Sky Capitan and Skippy (not derogatory terms) have to work their ass off and really earn their pay check.

Now for a US built plane (more expensive inital, but cheaper long run), steering cable?  Check.  Hydraulics on?  Check.  Gear handle to the up?  Nose gear centers, and folds up.  NO PROBLEM!

Solution, If it aint Boeing, I aint going!

I was talking about human pilot vs a computer for flying a plane.  Not the QC or design.

Still when you're talking about the JetBlue Airbus, believe it or not, the human pilot is not flying the aircraft, he's putting in a request into the computer, and as long as certain parameters are met, the computer will make the command for him.  The 777 is the first true fly by wire commercial aircraft put out by Boeing.  Even on the latest 767's you can still trace cables from the cockpit to the flight control actuators.  I don't care how you put it the pilot wasn't flying that airbus, he was asking the computer and it granted his wishes.  For more Airbus footage look here Airbus Demo.  This video promped the question, what's the difference between an Aibus, and a lumberjack?

About 50 trees an hour.

Tell me again who had the final say in all matters?

In that plane it's the computer, the pilot just asks pretty please

Awright, last time, and I will make it clear so that it 'takes'.

The pilot is making all the decision/calculations and input, the computer and everything attached is merely following that.

edit:  Pardon the thread hijack

pun intended
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
<snip>

Sorry not going to quote the whole thing again, and I believe that were going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  As long as a pilot has to put an input to the control stick, and the computer has to approve, deny, or come up with some stupid answer like 42, then the pilot isn't flying the plane, he's just there for the ride and asking questions.

BTW do you work in Tulouse?

ETA:  I work on these fucking pressurized alulminum tubes, I know WTF makes one of these fly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Solution, If it aint Boeing, I aint going!

What's the difference between an Airbus Capt and an Airbus F/O?

F/O: "Hey, what's that thing it just did!?"

Capt: "Hey, it just did that thing again!"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dude, try decaf.

But I have to agree with you, people+ airplane= moron

I also agree. I HAVE to fly all the time. Now that the price is as low as Greyhound, that is who now flies. 6 hollering kids, with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and as Jeff Foxworthy says, Kmart bags, and "Duck" taped Igglo coolers as carry ons....

Watch Airline on A&E and watch all the idots....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 main problems with the airlines. Sorry if these have already been mentioned. These are mainly related to South Worst Airlines.

#1. Overselling the aircraft. Why? Are you hoping seats will magically appear? If people don't show, fine, let people on stand by get them. Don't tell me that because some guy got to the airport 10min before or pushed his way past me in the cattle car line, the ticket I bought 3 months ago isn't good.

#2. Seats being more expensive at the last minute. Wouldn't it actually cost the airline money if you fly with empty seats? I'm not saying they should be cheaper, but a seat is a seat.

#3. Taking my aircraft to replace the incoming aircraft that is late for the passengers that have been waiting for a late aircraft. Well good going people. Now you just made 2 flights late! Where is the intelligence there?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
#1. Overselling the aircraft. Why? Are you hoping seats will magically appear? If people don't show, fine, let people on stand by get them. Don't tell me that because some guy got to the airport 10min before or pushed his way past me in the cattle car line, the ticket I bought 3 months ago isn't good.

I HATE THAT SHIT

I watched them take of 5, yes 5 people on a flight from LAX to HNL because they overbooked. That's fucking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I HATE THAT SHIT

I watched them take of 5, yes 5 people on a flight from LAX to HNL because they overbooked. That's fucking ridiculous.

They overbook on purpose.

Many times people don't show up for their flights for whatever reason.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Sorry not going to quote the whole thing again, and I believe that were going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  As long as a pilot has to put an input to the control stick, and the computer has to approve, deny, or come up with some stupid answer like 42, then the pilot isn't flying the plane, he's just there for the ride and asking questions.

BTW do you work in Tulouse?

ETA:  I work on these fucking pressurized alulminum tubes, I know WTF makes one of these fly.

Bernoullis Principle perhaps?

Riddle me this:  Without people in the cockpit where will the plane go?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Where ever the FMS is programmed to go!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All the way to the crash sight?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They overbook on purpose.

Many times people don't show up for their flights for whatever reason.  

Yes, I'm aware of this. But on the days when everyone shows up, they got a real shitstorm. I've seen it happen many many many times.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
10 for 10 on the rant.

I too hate the motherfuckers with their guitars. I understand they are expensive and fragile, and I can sympathize, but they are TOO LARGE to be a carry on. I can't stand when some asshole wipes out an entire overhead bin with his guitar. That's not a carry on, that's a piece of luggage.

Almost every airline has a little "test machine" outside the boarding area for you to see if your carry on bag fits.  If it doesn't fit there, it's not supposed to be carried on the plane.

I searched high/low for a rolling backpack to carry my laptop and all the crap I need to work on the road.
It will fit under the seat (except the aisle seat, which is fooked with the support rail anyways.)

I'm so over the asshats with luggage AND a laptop bag.

I've checked my luggage since I started business flying in 1979.  I've never had a real issue with luggage on planes.  It's been delayed twice, but always arrived.

There was a rumor (and it turned out to be false, dammit) that TSA was going to decree ONE CARRY ON per passenger to speed up the security lines.  That would have fixed the problem...  for now.

Last set of luggage I bought I got for two reasons. Well three actually.

1. Very cool looking and made with carbon fiber/kevlar (very little but still style points)
2. It was on a killer sale.
3. It had one rolling carry on piece that fits exactly in the carry on tester. Even has a great big label (that I deliberately left on) stuck on the outside advertising this fact.

If it's a short trip (90% of my travel) I can get everything I need in that carry on. Then I just take a stripped down, (no junk, just what I need) laptop bag that will fit under the seat.

Why the other morons still insist on those huge roll-ons that wouldn't fit in that carry on tester device in a million years still insist on trying to "force" it into the overhead on a regional is beyond me. And the suit bags and the ladies with their rucksack sized purse.

F'it, if it's over a 3 day trip I just check the baggage and take my chances. The laptop stays with me though, Company policy don't you know.

+1 on the hand sanitizer, touch no one, and I'm still trying to figure out how to get away with a biohazard rated mask.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All the way to the crash sight?

I bet we beat the paramedics there by 30 minuites!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top