Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:21:23 AM EDT
i think this would be the biggest slaughter known to man...if every american farmer was packing the saw......in formation no less...you would have to line your troops up like normal so as to lure the british into a nice and close range arena.....then make your troops ready and aim like normal.....then tell them to fire.....the entire british army would be wiped out by one battalion (1000 guy's)in one setting if givin the chance......they would think that americans were demons from hell.....yes
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Imagine if Alexander had nukes !!11!one
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#2]
British tactics of that day would not survive any modern armament, including the M16 set on semi. Look at how military tactics had to change due to changes in armament in both the American Civil War and WW1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#4]
What if frogs had wings? Would they still bump their ass when they jumped?

Where do you people come up with these questions?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#5]
yes..very true..i just think it would have been brutal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#6]
..and while where at it would a single modern day super carrier with all the air power minus the nuke bombs be able to take on the entire WWII Japanese Navy
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
British tactics of that day would not survive any modern armament, including the M16 set on semi.

20 guys armed with AR-15 rifles would have put out a volley of fire sufficient to make an entire division poop its pants.

But it is a pointless question to ask.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#9]
puff puff pass
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#10]
nah if we were getting into theoreticals..why not just give the roman empire 10000 panzer2's?....oh and unlimited ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#11]
these threads are infantile fantasization.

How well would a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range do against the Soviet army in 1943?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yeah! And imagine what  if the Vikings had amphibious assault ships with a carrier Battlegroup in support!

The only way to stop those guys would have been to equip all the opposing army's troops with saws and stop the vikings on the beaches.

Unfortunately the Vikings newly acquired stand-off capability would have made even the issuance of SAWs a non issue.

Good scenario though, Andy!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
With something like Mausers on Mosin Nagats they would have destroyed them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#14]
it would be no different, everyone knows 5.56 is not an effective round.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Must be someones been reading some alternate history books.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i think this would be the biggest slaughter known to man...if every american farmer was packing the saw......in formation no less...you would have to line your troops up like normal so as to lure the british into a nice and close range arena.....then make your troops ready and aim like normal.....then tell them to fire.....the entire british army would be wiped out by one battalion (1000 guy's)in one setting if givin the chance......they would think that americans were demons from hell.....yes

Get a clue.

If the Americans had M249s, chances are the British would have had them, too, and would have adjusted everything from uniforms, tactics, transport and strategy to accomodate them. In other words, they would have known how to use them better, since they were pros, and the Colonists were losing most of their battles until they figured out how to -guess what- become professional soldiers themselves, right down to where they beat and whipped their own men if they got out of line, mutinied or deserted just like the British Army......

O the myth of the American Rifleman -what a crock- the war was won by guys with muskets and bayonets who got to be better than the British at their own game. But that's not as glamorous as the guy in buckskins w/ a Pennsylvania rifle....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Or how about mini guns for the Indians? Or elephants for Hannibal! Oh scratch that last one.. It was done! Shit it must of been the Haliburton time machine..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#18]
It would do great Im sure, although a 240B would be better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
British tactics of that day would not survive any modern armament, including the M16 set on semi. Look at how military tactics had to change due to changes in armament in both the American Civil War and WW1

Our War Between The States showed what happens when tactics don't evolve to follow advances in weapons technology.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#20]
All they really needed was a .22 and a .38
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#21]
true..but the whole topic was based upon us having saw's..and them not knowing anything about cartrage weopons.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#22]
how well would the m-249 saw do against the british army in 1776?

Is this a trick question?     WTF

Actually, Washington had a couple of boatloads of M-249s when he set out to battle the Hessians at Trenton.  Unfortunately... their was a tragic boating accident when the boats carrying the SAWs mysteriously sank during the crossing of the Delaware River.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
true..but the whole topic was based upon us having saw's..and them not knowing anything about cartrage weopons.

To answer this I would need to know the percentage of colonial troops that were colorblind.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#24]
What if the colonists had the Halliburton Hurricane/Tsunami/Typhoon/Earthquake/Tornado Machine.  They could have sank the fleet in the harbor before they set sail for the colonies.  Not to mention sent a few tsunami's and earthquakes to devastate London.

Think BIG man...small ideas only piss people off!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#25]
What if the Jews had Uzi's during David's time?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Our War Between The States showed what happens when tactics don't evolve to follow advances in weapons technology.

They did learn though.  By 1864, a lot of the battlefields looked more like WW-I with massive trench works.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that what I said?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
puff puff pass

hit..deep inhale...pass
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#29]
All we would've needed back then was one of these guys...JUST 1!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#30]
what if dinosaurs had rocket launchers strapped to their back and laser beams that shot out of their ass holes?!?!?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#31]
It was the British who had a major breakthrough in small arms development in 1776: the first breech loading rifle to be used by troops in battle.

The Ferguson Rifle
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
..and while where at it would a single modern day super carrier with all the air power minus the nuke bombs be able to take on the entire WWII Japanese Navy

Dude!  That be AWESOME!  Maybe someone will write a novel.. or or make a movie about that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
heprofessional soldiers themselves, right down to where they beat and whipped their own men if they got out of line, mutinied or deserted just like the British Army......

O the myth of the American Rifleman -what a crock- the war was won by guys with muskets and bayonets who got to be better than the British at their own game. But that's not as glamorous as the guy in buckskins w/ a Pennsylvania rifle....

Oh please, next you going to tell us that the Brits had whole Companies of Select Marksmen armed with rifles, and composite Light Infantry Battalions that modified their uniforms.  

Everyone knows the Brits followed the 68 regs to a T, and no one dared make any modifications to their uniforms.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It was the British who had a major breakthrough in small arms development in 1776: the first breech loading rifle to be used by troops in battle.

The Ferguson Rifle

Nice gun, but he didn't invent it- just updated an old design by a Frenchman, Isaac de la Chaumette, from the 1730s. A similar design had come even earlier from Holland. Ferguson took a hunting rifle curio design and introduced it into warfare.

And there is zip evidence they were used at King's Mountain. They'd all been put in storage years before, since the British gunmaking industry couldn't manufacture or repair them quickly enough, and the rifle units went through officers/NCOs due to combat casualties like shit through a goose. they were on the front lines all the time, getting more than the usual amount of killed/wounded due to their close proximity to the Americans.

The Fergusons all broke under combat use- any ones left that were actually used in war have broken or repaired breech areas in the stock.

Breechloading rifles: an idea that was not ready for prime time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Breechloading rifles: an idea that was not ready for prime time.

Amazing that it DID take so long though, because in retrospect the design of many breechloaders is fairly simple. So what were the missing elements up to that point in history...interchangeability of parts, a workable self-contained cartridge?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Nice gun, but he didn't invent it...

Thank you for your comments.  I didn't know about Chaumette.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a clue.

If the Americans had M249s, chances are the British would have had them, too, and would have adjusted everything from uniforms, tactics, transport and strategy to accomodate them. In other words, they would have known how to use them better, since they were pros, and the Colonists were losing most of their battles until they figured out how to -guess what- become professional soldiers themselves, right down to where they beat and whipped their own men if they got out of line, mutinied or deserted just like the British Army......

Oh please, next you going to tell us that the Brits had whole Companies of Select Marksmen armed with rifles, and composite Light Infantry Battalions that modified their uniforms.  

Everyone knows the Brits followed the 68 regs to a T, and no one dared make any modifications to their uniforms.

Shhhhh! We have major national myths to uphold here- the truth be damned!

BTW the real Company of Select Marksmen in the Saratoga campaign of 1777 were not armed with rifles, they used muskets.

Rifles were fun, rifles were neat, many saw their use eventually as war winners, but even in the wars against Napoleon 30-40 years later, massed, disciplined musketry tipped with cold steel was what won the wars. "Wham, bam, thank you man!"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I suspect that the m-249s would have been lost in a trajic boating accident when Washington was crossing the Delaware.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The final countdown?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#40]
What if I could send electrical shocks through the internet and fry the shit out of all the annoying people I run into online.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice gun, but he didn't invent it...

Thank you for your comments.  I didn't know about Chaumette.

You're welcome!

Two books help in understanding :

Blackmore, Howard, British Military Firearms 1650-1850
Bailey, DeWitt, British Military Flintlock Rifles 1740-1840

Excellent sources.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Now what about all this talk about the use of the Furguson in India, that the climate there made for less fouling of the breech screw or somesuch nonsense?  

BTW did you know that the port of Baltimore has more cranes than the entire continent of Africa

LOL

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
What if the Jews had Uzi's during David's time?

LMAO!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Dude!  You jumped into the time machine with a pile of SAWs and forgot to load ammo!!

You can give every farmer a really cool looking club.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The final countdown?

Aha! I was trying to remember the name of it all the way thru page 1. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Oh, I've got one!!!

What would happen if gasbolt ever got a chance to touch a girl?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
What if I could send electrical shocks through the internet and fry the shit out of all the annoying people I run into online.

I've often wanted to do that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Oh, I've got one!!!

What would happen if gasbolt ever got a chance to touch a girl?

Probably have a AD/ND in his shorts..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The final countdown?

Aha! I was trying to remember the name of it all the way thru page 1. Thanks.

That was a great movie for some reason we watched it in science class in High school (1988)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Now what about all this talk about the use of the Furguson in India, that the climate there made for less fouling of the breech screw or somesuch nonsense?

News to me. AFAIK the guns that were left were put in storage in NYC by the Brits after 1777 and then? Who knows?

BTW did you know that the port of Baltimore has more cranes than the entire continent of Africa

LOL

Johnny Carson: I did not know that- that's really weird wild stuff. Did you know about Ed?

Ed Mcmahon: No sir, I did not.

Johnny: Really weird wild stuff.

Ed: You are correct, sir!

Johnny: As weird and wild as what Doc and the band are smoking....

Johnny: Yes! O Great One! You are correct, sir!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top