Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2001 7:57:20 AM EDT
I recently purchased 2 new in the box pre-ban bushmasters from a trusted vendor.  I recieved both in exellent condition.  Both had the blue-ish never been touched or cleaned look.  I cleaned and oiled both, as recomemded by several standard issue manuals.  After cleaning the new look off of them I noticed that one of the lower recievers look brown, rather than black.  My question is, Is this normal in some cases or do you think the finish coulb have been damanged in some way?  I would appreciate any feedback and would like to know if you know if any place to have it refinished...if that is possible?

Secondly, I purchased a Atchison...I think that is how you spell it... 22LR conversion kit and was wondering if anyone has had any problem with the use of this kit or any kind of damage this could cause either functionally or cosmetically to the gun?

Any help on these issues would be great.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
As a "SENIOR MEMBER" I am sorry to say I can't
help you.
"Senior Member" is a title given to people that have posted 250 or more times; and is certainly
no indication of expertise in any subject matter.
Hopefully you will get some help and it might come from a "Non Senior Member."
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Older Bushmaster receivers are notorious for changing colors. This is the first time I have heard of brown though, purple is the norm. There are tons of places to have it refinished, but I usually just use the spray on finish from Brownells that you bake out in the oven. Its tough, looks great and is relatively cheap. Plus, if it ever gets scratched up or you want to retouch it, its not a problem. I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as they function ok. Just refinish it and move on.

I have a similar .22 kit as to what you have. Ive never really had any problems other than it gets the guns really really dirty. I haven't used it much lately, but am planning on getting a dedicated .22LR upper just to use the kit in. That way, I won't worry about leading the barrel too much and its a lot easier to just leave the .22 kit in the upper instead of taking it out and storing it elsewhere when you change to .223. Also, you can make it out of pretty cheap parts and it doesn't cost that much to have another cheap upper.

Have fun with your new toys.

Michael
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
help you.
"Senior Member" is a title given to people that have posted 250 or more times; and is certainly
View Quote

I will leave this one alone.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I recently purchased 2 new in the box pre-ban bushmasters from a trusted vendor.  I recieved both in exellent condition.  Both had the blue-ish never been touched or cleaned look.  I cleaned and oiled both, as recomemded by several standard issue manuals.  After cleaning the new look off of them I noticed that one of the lower recievers look brown, rather than black.  My question is, Is this normal in some cases or do you think the finish coulb have been damanged in some way?  I would appreciate any feedback and would like to know if you know if any place to have it refinished...if that is possible?

Secondly, I purchased a Atchison...I think that is how you spell it... 22LR conversion kit and was wondering if anyone has had any problem with the use of this kit or any kind of damage this could cause either functionally or cosmetically to the gun?

Any help on these issues would be great.
View Quote

I'm not a senior member (though I was a "full member" for years on the old AR15 board) but I think I can help you.

The color change is probably not finish damage, but rather just the way your cleaner interacted with the finish to reflect a different color of light. Also, if you used a CLP type cleaner, it may have leeched some old dirt/oil/manufacturing leftovers out of the receiver creating this color. Wipe it down and reapply CLP or oil.

.22 conversions create a couple things that you should be aware of. First, you will get lead shavings in your gas tube and back into your bolt carrier. You also tend to get a buildup of lead/powder in the gas port in the barrel. You should blast a few .223 rounds through at the end if you can to clear out the crud, then clean thoroughly.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If they have Snakes on 'em and function properly, I'd not worry about the color much...

"...the way they came" is advantageous should you ever decide to part with them.  Yer not gonna EVER do THAT, are ya?  Good.

Have fun with your rifles!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:39:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for replies.  
Ponyboy...what did you mean by leading the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont plan on parting with them EVER!  How ever I would like to know how you determine the value of weapon (example: 90%, 80% etc.) And also does the value of a gun decrease the more you shoot it or does pre-ban usually keep its value regardless?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
help you.
View Quote

I will leave this one alone.
View Quote

I won't.  [}:D]
Give the guy a break Hangfire.  It is his first few posts and you post that.  We all know what he probably means.   People with lots of knowledge (senior).  Either way,  yours was a wasted post, just like mine here.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know why Bushy's turn purple but some do. My pre ban did. I ain't gonna change it. I just call it my purple people shooter.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Almost all upper & lower recievers are finished by anodizing.  This is an electrochemical process that turns the outermost aluminum atoms to aluminum oxide, AKA alumina, which is a hard but porous ceramic.  This is a clear coating that can be dyed a variety of colors, including black.  Black is one of the hardest colors (or lack of) to make in a dye.  Most are really very dark greens or blues.  If the dye is off a tiny bit, the bluish color will show.  After the dye job, the anodizing is sealed with an acid bath and no adjustments to the color are possible.  The part is wet throughout the anodizing/dying/sealing process so the tinge of color would be hard to detect.

These minor color variations are normal, blue/purple, green, reddish brown.  The alternative is to scrap these receivers, dump the bath & make more.  Needless to say, this would greatly increase the price of the guns we can buy.

Nothing wrong with your Bushmasters, at least in the color.  Hang on to 'em, shoot 'em & enjoy.

Norm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top