Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i must disagree

coming as you are from a Buck Rogers view of scifi, i suppose 2001 would be an unwelcome reality shock, as the director was striving for a level of realism never before achieved

sorry you didn't get death beams or scantily clad women swinging on ropes

2001 was not a fantasy adventure story, more of a scifi with a philosophical angle

Not got a damn thing to do with Buck Rogers or adventure stories.

I cut my teeth on Asimov, Clarke, early Heinlein and classic science fiction... 2001 is more a self indulgent philosophical exercise than science fiction. 2001 is a technical masterpiece but not good science fiction.

true, it lacked action, but it did have tech, a human reaction, a philosophical aspect and a moral

NOT ACTION... it lacked focus the 2 are not the same thing.

That's the understatement of the day.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it's so great, then what's the meaning here? What makes this so great? Just seemed so random and unplanned. I thought it was a total piece of crap. No wonder people walked out of the theatres when this was played in 68'. Granted, people then didn't see space as we do now, but good God, you can't make a 150 minute movie out of it. I sat and watched a movie that was 2 hours of special effects of floating mark-ups and only 30 minutes of any meat.

So you had a rock that took man from an ape to an intelligent being, we find it, send out an exploration team to Jupiter, the ship's computer deep-6's, they finally get to Jupiter, go into some sort of vertex, and we end up with a giant fetus...

Can anyone else not see this is a broken down and rather aimless film? Most people say you need to think to enjoy this film. HOW? All I saw were 2 hours of special effects and nothing even then happened.

AND I DON'T GIVE A DAMN IF WE HAVE A MOVIE FORUM, IT GETS USED JUST AS MUCH AS THE AK MAINTANCE PAGE.

The film is actually rather brilliant. What most people (and it seems you) have a problem with is the way Kubrik represents abstract ideas.

It is one of those "what do space aliens" look like things. You can have a great movie going and then....you show the aliens and they are lame.

Rather than use "guys in rubber suits" for his abstract ideas he uses seriously weird imagery. But his strange visuals are still way better than aliens in rubber suits and they keep his films from being as dated.

The downside of course is when these visuals which are meant to convey abstract ideas end up obscuring them completely for some folks. And that is why a lot of people have to watch Kubrik films a handful of times before they can appreciate them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Best

SciFi

Film

Ever

Made

Period.

You've obviously been either stranded on a deserted island, locked in a bomb shelter or trapped in a cave since the 60's.

Let me guess.

You think something like Matrix is better?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If it's so great, then what's the meaning here? What makes this so great? Just seemed so random and unplanned. I thought it was a total piece of crap. No wonder people walked out of the theatres when this was played in 68'. Granted, people then didn't see space as we do now, but good God, you can't make a 150 minute movie out of it. I sat and watched a movie that was 2 hours of special effects of floating mark-ups and only 30 minutes of any meat.

So you had a rock that took man from an ape to an intelligent being, we find it, send out an exploration team to Jupiter, the ship's computer deep-6's, they finally get to Jupiter, go into some sort of vertex, and we end up with a giant fetus...

Can anyone else not see this is a broken down and rather aimless film? Most people say you need to think to enjoy this film. HOW? All I saw were 2 hours of special effects and nothing even then happened.

AND I DON'T GIVE A DAMN IF WE HAVE A MOVIE FORUM, IT GETS USED JUST AS MUCH AS THE AK MAINTANCE PAGE.

The film is actually rather brilliant. What most people (and it seems you) have a problem with is the way Kubrik represents abstract ideas.

It is one of those "what do space aliens" look like things. You can have a great movie going and then....you show the aliens and they are lame.

Rather than use "guys in rubber suits" for his abstract ideas he uses seriously weird imagery. But his strange visuals are still way better than aliens in rubber suits and they keep his films from being as dated.

The downside of course is when these visuals which are meant to convey abstract ideas end up obscuring them completely for some folks. And that is why a lot of people have to watch Kubrik films a handful of times before they can appreciate them.

+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mind-bending... not for the ADD generation.

Making ANYONE watch a 10 minute scene of flickery lights or watching a 40 minute montogue of moon travel will make ANYONE go into A.D.D. mode.

Once again, big stuff for back then in the graphics department, but a bit WAY too over done.

I just sped through the movie to see how many of these pointless object moving or random scenery, it was a total of about 1 hour and 40 minutes.

You'd HATE one of these...

... and no doubt find Altered States uninteresting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Making ANYONE watch a 10 minute scene of flickery lights or watching a 40 minute montogue of moon travel will make ANYONE go into A.D.D. mode.

Once again, big stuff for back then in the graphics department, but a bit WAY too over done.

I just sped through the movie to see how many of these pointless object moving or random scenery, it was a total of about 1 hour and 40 minutes.

www.samadhitank.com/images/prev1.jpg

I have seen it. First time I saw it was pretty funny, but second go around was good.

Don't get me wrong, I love off beat movies and got Netflix to go for the volume of titles I wanted to see. Though this movie seemed rather pointless and tried to be something it wasn't.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen it. First time I saw it was pretty funny, but second go around was good.

Don't get me wrong, I love off beat movies and got Netflix to go for the volume of titles I wanted to see. Though this movie seemed rather pointless and tried to be something it wasn't.

Well hells bells man - if  you fast-forward through all the "non-action" scenes then of COURSE it's gonna seem rather pointless!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Best

SciFi

Film

Ever

Made

Period.

You've obviously been either stranded on a deserted island, locked in a bomb shelter or trapped in a cave since the 60's.

Let me guess.

You think something like Matrix is better?

No. But I do think that Star Wars was better, and I'll tell you why. Not because of the explosions and special effects, but because of the story.

2001 was a series of discombobulated cinematic shots with lots of dead air and very little story. Most of the movie was like watching grass grow, and then he basically tortures you with sensory overload when the guy enters the monolith. That's pretty much all there is to it. Like Max_Mike said, it has not focus. It's an artsy indy film in outer space where everything is representitive of something and you have to look beyond what you're seeing to find the meaning of it. It's not entertaining. It's boring until he throws in the acid trip, then it becomes painful to watch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well hells bells man - if  you fast-forward through all the "non-action" scenes then of COURSE it's gonna seem rather pointless!

They are not 'non-action' scenes. They are abosultely pointless and serve no purpose. AND DON'T SAY THAT'S THE BEAUTY. GO TAKE YOUR LSD AND FUCK YOUR COUCH STONER BOY!

They are pointless because they are pointless! 10 minutes of flickery lights down a vortex isn't going to make the movie make any more sense or add to the 'thinking' factor. If flickery lights give you something to think about, go to a doctor...

It seemed like it was litterally a bunch of random ideas, loosely connected, and came off as only a stunt to show SE's.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2001: A Space Odyssey explained

Nice find!

Pretty much covers it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice find!

Pretty much covers it.

I thought that was almost as boring as the damn movie!

It's a freakin' conspiracy!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice find!

Pretty much covers it.

The film was revolutionary at the time.

Now with notions like "cosmic seeding" being an actual possibility, the idea that aliens came down here and "evolved" us seems less spectacular.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I love that move. I also love 2010.

They ROCK dude.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They are not 'non-action' scenes. They are abosultely pointless and serve no purpose.  

Actually that is not true.

Their purpose is to "try" and represent an abstract concept that we have no first hand understanding of.

Try and represent what "God" would ACTUALLY look like.

Try and represent what the beginning of time was like.

Try and represent what an alternate universe would be like.

See the problem?

Realizing that and direct representation of these "abstracts" would end up being hokey, Kubrick chose to go with the imagery you find random and sporatic. This saves him from being "wrong" until the day comes that we come to understand one of these "abstacts" firsthand, which will be some time in the future.

You really have to get past these images if you want to appreciate what the movie is actually about.

Quite honestly, they bore the shit out of me as well. Once you've seen them they have no sustaining interest. It is only the concept of the film and the story that let me watch 2001. When he starts into 10 minutes of goofy lights I grab a snack.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice find!

Pretty much covers it.

Now with notions like "cosmic seeding" being an actual possibility, the idea that aliens came down here and "evolved" us seems less spectacular.

Yeah but did you see Star Wars man?

The idea that there's like, these good guys with blaster guns and space ships fighting an interglactic (that's five syllables) battle against bad guys in plastic suits who want to conquer the universe.  

I mean come on dude!

Good guys versus bad guys? Space ships and guys in weird rubber space alien costumes? "Droids"? Hell man it's a revolutionary sci-fi movie! And it's not just a deep story too - it's got lots of explosions and robots and it still makes you think too! Remember that scene when they went into "hyperspace" and how the stars all turned into lines? Whoa man I kept thinking about that concept for days afterwards. Oh and I even learned what a parsec was too. Oh man dude, you just don't know great science fiction.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I saw some doctumentary on Kubrik years ago.  They pointed out some of the hidden meanings in 2001.  One that I remember was that the proportions of the monolith's dimensions were the same as a movie theatre screen that it was shown on at that time.  So, in essence, the monolith, like the movie, projected images into the brains for people to understand and come up with different ideas or possibilities.

FAR OUT MAN!

Sorry, but no.  1 x 4 x 9
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice find!

Pretty much covers it.

Yeah but did you see Star Wars man?

The idea that there's like, these good guys with blaster guns and space ships fighting an interglactic (that's five syllables) battle against bad guys in plastic suits who want to conquer the universe.  

I mean come on dude!

Good guys versus bad guys? Space ships and guys in weird rubber space alien costumes? "Droids"? Hell man it's a revolutionary sci-fi movie! And it's not just a deep story too - it's got lots of explosions and robots and it still makes you think too! Remember that scene when they went into "hyperspace" and how the stars all turned into lines? Whoa man I kept thinking about that concept for days afterwards. Oh and I even learned what a parsec was too. Oh man dude, you just don't know great science fiction.

Oh yeah, like a movie that starts out with a bunch of monkey's playing with bones, and climaxes with a white guy (who is practically mute), in a white suit on a white spaceship eventually getting sucked into a rock video is soooo much better. Oh, and let's not leave out the scene where you hear a guy in a rubber suit (surprise, surprise) breathing heavy for about 5 minutes. That's a REAL Sci-Fi movie because it's cerebral. Intelligent people don't need alot of lines or activity to entertain them (or even keep them awake). Just show them some white backgrounds and a few neon lights and they're good to go (kind like moths now that I think about it).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
"Daddy, I want a bushbaby"

Kubrick films are long and internal or hyperactive.  I think 2001's appeal has diminished for the masses now that men in space is an everyday (tourist!) event.  The timing, audio, and cuts between images are outstanding and always a joy to watch.

How about we transition to a discussion of The Killing and Paths of Glory?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
All I can say is, if you don't get it,... then you don't get it.  Go watch Spaceballs,  I'm sure that will be much more appealing to you.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How about we transition to a discussion of The Killing and Paths of Glory?

Now that is Kubrick at his best when he had budgets he could not over do things on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree, there just seems to be more character and story focus.  Curse of the auteur I guess, having to have a finger in every pot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#23]
a very good movie.    Can seem a bit slow at times, and yes, some of it can be a "hey, what just happened" moment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#24]
One of my favorite movies, all time.

If you don't look past the obvious imagery, it's just a beautiful movie that jumps from age to age with the Monoliths signifying something but you don't know what.

The book really was so open ended - without the heavy meaning Kubrick put into it - that I didn't particularly care for it. And I'm a HUGE Clarke fan.

I still get goosebumps at the significance of the moment the sunlight hits the Monolith in Tycho crater!

I can't wait to get a bigscreen television to watch it again and again.

Trivia: Evidently they had a whole new orchestral score done for the movie but Kubrick liked the placeholders they used (Also Sprach Zarathustra... shivers) so much he left them in!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
dont forget the pink floyd tie-in

Please explain.....never heard of a Floyd tie-in to this one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#26]
It's very typical of a Clarke story; that man's beginning and ultimate destiny lies in space.  I guess he's not a fan of the earth and mankind in general, at least as it exist now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Kubrick was a genius.

Still trying to figure out the Kidman/Cruise thing, though....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"Open the pod bay door please Hal"

"I'm sorry, I can't do that Dave"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree that the movie is crap, but I think the computer is funny.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Read the book.  

I first saw the movie when I was five.   I'm not saying I fully got it at that age,  but its meaning was clear to me when I was in my teens, anyway.

If you don't get it after reading the book,  I can't help you.

The movie is a personality test of sorts.   It takes a certain type of person to understand it fully,
and it takes another certain type of person to get up and walk out on it.

I don't think I'm likely to get into any deep conversations with the "walked out" crowd.   I find them
to be both shallow and dense.

CJ

OH PLEASE…

I like the movie, great movie… beautiful to look at it. I got the meaning just fine having said that…

It is a great example of what happens when you get a self absorbed director with a lot of money and a lot of drugs… unfocused, self indulgent, the intellectual equal of masturbation.

To assign some sort personality test is pretentious and absurd.

It is not even good science fiction… good fantasy more than science fiction. IMO it was a watershed event in science fiction that took the heart out of the movement and moved it elsewhere, science fiction has never recovered.

It seems hugely more intelligent and thoughtful than watching the latest guy with the wrinkled forehead fighting some predictable monster.

I should add that it is a far more impressive movie when seen on a big screen. In order to get the full effect you need to be immersed in it. If you have only seen it on TV, then you haven't really seen it. One of the effects it really did well was to give you the feeling that you were standing at the edge of space, which tends to make you reflect on your own tiny position in this vast universe. The "awe" factor sets you up emotionally and then he tells a story that is a lot more interesting than some guy riding a dubbed-in iguana.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Because Stanley Kubrik was one of the best Directors EVER!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Because Stanley Kubrik was one of the best Directors EVER!

Paths of Glory
Dr. Strangelove
Spartacus
Full Metal Jacket

Those are my favorites -- not necessarily in that order.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It seems hugely more intelligent and thoughtful than watching the latest guy with the wrinkled forehead fighting some predictable monster.

I should add that it is a far more impressive movie when seen on a big screen. In order to get the full effect you need to be immersed in it. If you have only seen it on TV, then you haven't really seen it. One of the effects it really did well was to give you the feeling that you were standing at the edge of space, which tends to make you reflect on your own tiny position in this vast universe. The "awe" factor sets you up emotionally and then he tells a story that is a lot more interesting than some guy riding a dubbed-in iguana.

Monsters don't have a damn thing to do with what I am talking about...

Classic science fiction… the interaction of SCIENCE on humans their actions and reactions. How SCIENCE effects human interaction. For example the interaction of and consequences of the robots in Asimov’s robot stories.

Contrary to the spaceships, and pretty pictures of space the ONLY real science fiction in 2001 is the interaction with HAL. Matter of fact 2001 is more contrary science than anything else… it seems to have slipped everyones grasp the movie is about intelligent design.

You could substitute sailing ships for space ships, islands for planets and moons and do the same story.

2001 is movie that made non-science the focus of science fiction.

I saw 2001 in its original release and several times on the big screen and was greatly impressed. It is a great movie, a technical master piece… but great science fiction it is not.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Monsters don't have a damn thing to do with what I am talking about...

Classic science fiction… the interaction of SCIENCE on humans their actions and reactions. How SCIENCE effects human interaction. For example the interaction of and consequences of the robots in Asimov’s robot stories.

Contrary to the spaceships, and pretty pictures of space the ONLY real science fiction in 2001 is the interaction with HAL. Matter of fact 2001 is more contrary science than anything else… it seems to have slipped everyones grasp the movie is about intelligent design.

You could substitute sailing ships for space ships, islands for planets and moons and do the same story.

2001 is movie that made non-science the focus of science fiction.

I saw 2001 in its original release and several times on the big screen and was greatly impressed. It is a great movie, a technical master piece… but great science fiction it is not.

Actually there was a special not too long ago that documented the many things depicted in 2001 that actually came to be. It was rather interesting.

But arguing that 2001 or Kubrick sucked simply because you don't care for the style doesn't make it true. I personally feel about the same way with respect to Van Gogh. I just don't appreciate his art, I think it is weird and I don't understand people who have a jism attack over it. But I'd destroy my own credibility if I tried to argue he had no artistic ability and that his paintings suck. I simply don't like or appreciate them. You seem to not like or appreciate Kubrick.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a great movie, a technical master piece

Actually there was a special not too long ago that documented the many things depicted in 2001 that actually came to be. It was rather interesting.

But arguing that 2001 or Kubrick sucked simply because you don't care for the style doesn't make it true. I personally feel about the same way with respect to Van Gogh. I just don't appreciate his art, I think it is weird and I don't understand people who have a jism attack over it. But I'd destroy my own credibility if I tried to argue he had no artistic ability and that his paintings suck. I simply don't like or appreciate them. You seem to not like or appreciate Kubrick.

Can anybody read.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Science fiction is not about "science" or how science affects humans. Science fiction at its core still addresses the same three fundemental struggles found in ALL great fiction - that being man vs. man, man vs. nature or man vs. himself. The only difference is that science fiction uses the backdrops and settings of  "science" to play out those themes.

Whether it's time-travel, space-travel, alien invasions, artificial-intelligence, extra-dimensional existances or whatever - the real heart of every science fiction story is NOT the "science" but rather the way those eternal struggles and themes are played out.

You can take the "science" out of EVERY science fiction story and the heart of the story will still remain but that doesn't make it any less science fiction.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Just insert 'N1Rampage' for 'Dave':

Look, N1Rampage .......

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't understand it?  Well then, I guess that you had to be there!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The ulitmate 'Cliff's Notes'! Outstanding...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go watch Spaceballs,  I'm sure that will be much more appealing to you.

Aren't we being a little narcissistic tonight. So self-absorption over a flick that is only popular because others say it is.  

I don't think you're wrong thinking the movie was self-indulgent.  Kubrick's a bit different and not as accessible for some tastes and I think he always leaves a little out.  Likening the movie to the Odyssey might be a stretch.

Technically the movie was pretty brilliant and way ahead of it's time.  Even if you weren't "getting it" it was fun to watch (especially in 68).   As time moved on the Special Effects did too.  Nearly ALL films are paced much quicker today and have more cuts and high tempo music.  Sometimes you just have to have the right frame of mind to watch a "slow" film.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a great movie, a technical master piece

Can anybody read.

Yes. Your complete quote is this.

It was the second part that I addressed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go watch Spaceballs,  I'm sure that will be much more appealing to you.

Aren't we being a little narcissistic tonight. So self-absorption over a flick that is only popular because others say it is.  

I don't think you're wrong thinking the movie was self-indulgent.  Kubrick's a bit different and not as accessible for some tastes and I think he always leaves a little out.  Likening the movie to the Odyssey might be a stretch.

Technically the movie was pretty brilliant and way ahead of it's time.  Even if you weren't "getting it" it was fun to watch (especially in 68).   As time moved on the Special Effects did too.  Nearly ALL films are paced much quicker today and have more cuts and high tempo music.  Sometimes you just have to have the right frame of mind to watch a "slow" film.

"Slow" has nothing to do with it. This film was not "slow". It was filled with so much filler, no focus, and the 'look what I can do with SE' thing got old REAL quick. If you're on an acid trip, it makes good viewing, BUT PAAALLLEEEASSEEEE. Kurbrik was being an egotists as usuall. The novelty of SE wore off when IT WAS USED FOR ALMOST TWO HOURS STRAIGHT. Maybe neat then, I understand, but to try to watch it as it is, is a big pain in the ass. How can I take a film seriously and try view it as a work if you show flickery lights for 10 mintues and a 40 minute montogue of the moon. If you like flickery lights, I have a flashlight. You can have it. Infact, I got a video camera too, make a movie and have every drone in the world view it as something amazing and a true art. It make even get ranked as high as the one piece of 'art' with a crusifix in a jar of urine.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ulitmate 'Cliff's Notes'! Outstanding...

The creators of the movies in 30 seconds with bunnies should do a 2001 animation

www.angryalien.com
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Well apparently you cannot read... if you can please explain where sucked came from in anything I said.

I didn't say "sucked" it or imply it as you said, I stand by it is not great science fiction… but I never implied or said suck you made that up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well apparently you cannot read... if you can please explain where sucked came from in anything I said.

I didn't say "sucked" it or imply it as you said, I stand by it is not great science fiction… but I never implied or said suck you made that up.

Aha, now I understand your objection.

The first part of my reply was to you specifically.

"Actually there was a special not too long ago that documented the many things depicted in 2001 that actually came to be. It was rather interesting."

This was to address that it was actually rather good science fiction.

The other part of my reply was a general reply to those who think it "sucked" but wasn't addressed to you specifically. I do that sometimes and I really need to be more specific.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain.....never heard of a Floyd tie-in to this one.

Start the song "Echoes" off the album "Meddle" at the start of the chapter "Jupiter and beyond the Infinite". It is pretty neat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Actually there was a special not too long ago that documented the many things depicted in 2001 that actually came to be. It was rather interesting."

The other part of my reply was a general reply to those who think it "sucked" but wasn't addressed to you specifically. I do that sometimes and I really need to be more specific.

Ok good enough on the sucked...

But if you want to use predictions as a measure what about the very very very many more that have still not come true 4 years after 2001…

Like…

Large scale human presence in space…
Large useable space stations…
Reliable reusable space transport…
Moon bases…
Human exploration of other bodies in the solar system…
Human deep space exploration…
Commercial hotels in space…
Picture phones every where…
Computers that you can converse with…
Ect…
Ect…
Ect…

This mean Krubrick planted enough possibilities in the movies to hit a few and this really has nothing to do with my point the movie really has very little to do with science… if anything the movie is anti-science. Other than HAL science had almost no impact on the story, IMO for a story to be labeled great science fiction the science must drive the themes in the story… it does not in 2001. The science in 2001 is a backdrop. 2001 is science fiction that only pays passing interest to science. You could remove all of these predictions and the science that goes along with them and substitute sailing ships and an evil second mate for HAL… the science in 2001 has little impacts on the core story. The monoliths are not science as is none of the ending.

Take Blade Runner for example which use science and scientific creations to address many of the same issues 2001 use what is effectively intelligent design (no science) to address.

We will have to agree to disagree IMO 2001 is a great movie… but just passing science fiction.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok good enough on the sucked...

But if you want to use predictions as a measure what about the very very very many more that have still not come true 4 years after 2001…

Like…

Large scale human presence in space…
Large useable space stations…
Reliable reusable space transport…
Moon bases…
Human exploration of other bodies in the solar system…
Human deep space exploration…
Commercial hotels in space…
Picture phones every where…
Computers that you can converse with…
Ect…
Ect…
Ect…

This mean Krubrick planted enough possibilities in the movies to hit a few and this really has nothing to do with my point the movie really has very little to do with science… if anything the movie is anti-science. Other than HAL science had almost no impact on the story, IMO for a story to be labeled great science fiction the science must drive the themes in the story… it does not in 2001. The science in 2001 is a backdrop. 2001 is science fiction that only pays passing interest to science. You could remove all of these predictions and the science that goes along with them and substitute sailing ships and an evil second mate for HAL… the science in 2001 has little impacts on the core story. The monoliths are not science as is none of the ending.

Take Blade Runner for example which use science and scientific creations to address many of the same issues 2001 use what is effectively intelligent design (no science) to address.

We will have to agree to disagree IMO 2001 is a great movie… but just passing science fiction.

H.G. Wells missed a LOT of them too but I don't think anyone is gonna question if his stuff is good sci fi.

That said "Computers that you can converse with" do exist and "Picture phones every where" are easily webcams. The space shuttle was arguably "Reliable reusable space transport" and we did have a few "Large useable space stations."

Star Trek was ALSO brilliant sci fi and most of that still doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that was the "Wizard of Oz"?

www.everwonder.com/david/wizardofoz

Also Fantasia.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top