Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 11:44:31 AM EDT
What do you think of this? I am curious to see how well it truly cleans the corners of rooms since it's round? Also I have a dog, carpets and wood floors...or should I just get a Dyson?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.  Great for hardwood floors and dog hair.  It won't replace a regular vacuum but I just turn it on when I walk the dogs and it's picks up a lot.  It freaks out the dogs, they think it's alive!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one. Not a replacement for a vaccum. Doesnt get everything. It is like one of those restaraunt sweepers you see the kids going around sweeping up crumbs with. Basically a motorized version of it. Doesnt do well with fringed carpet, smooth carpet will be ok, and tile and linoleum, hardwood is where it performs its best.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Dyson, nothing beats a screaming purple vacuum.  

SBG
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess you don't have a WIFE?!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I guess you don't have a WIFE?!

LOL i have a housekeeper who cleans my house every 2 weeks, but my girlfriend won't clean it for me
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one, thought it was great at first, then I didn't like the idea of 'prepping' the room everytime I use it. You have to block doorways/stairs, pick up throwrugs, make sure no loose strings/wires are at or near floor, etc.  Basically anything you would normally have no problem with it may get in trouble with.

Also, after a few months, the rubber tire on one side split into pieces.

Overrated in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife has two of them. She will grab a glass of wine and watch them run around the living room.

Fun for her, but they don't do corners.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one, and I like it.  It is definitely NOT a replacement for an upright vac or floor vac with a hose.  You'll still need one of those to get the corners good, and get the baseboards and such.

Yeah, sometimes 'prepping' the room is bothersome, but it's not too bad.  

It does do a good job.  I got one of the Discovery units, I think it's a little more powerful than the red unit.  I'm surprised at how much dust, dirt, hair and lint it picks up, even if I only go a week between uses...and I have no pets and live alone.  

The best thing is, you set it up and let it go.  That's the whole idea.  Set it up and let it do it's thing while you do something else.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It does do a good job.  I got one of the Discovery units, I think it's a little more powerful than the red unit.  I'm surprised at how much dust, dirt, hair and lint it picks up, even if I only go a week between uses...and I have no pets and live alone.  

The motor and pickup are the same between them.  Some minor improvements have been made to newer models, but nothing major.  

I like mine. :)  It's great to set it and forget it.  If you let it run over your room for an hour and a half and it's not clean, you're too dirty.  

Quoted:
I've got one, thought it was great at first, then I didn't like the idea of 'prepping' the room everytime I use it. You have to block doorways/stairs, pick up throwrugs, make sure no loose strings/wires are at or near floor, etc.  Basically anything you would normally have no problem with it may get in trouble with.

Also, after a few months, the rubber tire on one side split into pieces.

Hm, do you have the original?  The new ones for sure have no problem avoiding stairs and dropoffs.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]
My sister has one, I wondered what was making such a racket and found out since she had some doors closed and what not.

She says her type can be programmed for each room so that you don't have to close doors and what not.

It does not look like the one pictured, but it is round.

She has 2 cats and it does a decent job of cleaning things a bit between actual real use of a normal vacumn.

I think they have their place but personally I am still a fan of a leaf blower and a window at floor level or even better a door in the room on the end of the house.  I don't have the caddy shack pic to post but now would be the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I see thatand all I vcan think if VRRRRRRR and have  little mental image of the vacumm VRRRRing aqround the house.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
First it cleans, then it kills you in your sleep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I see thatand all I vcan think if VRRRRRRR and have  little mental image of the vacumm VRRRRing aqround the house.

What was the name of the Burt Reynold's movie in the 1980's with the robot spiders and the pistol that fired guided missles?

SBG
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was the name of the Burt Reynold's movie in the 1980's with the robot spiders and the pistol that fired guided missles?

SBG

Was it the Michael Crichton movie with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons RUNAWAY
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Just dont use it on NEW carpet...

I got one when i built my new house...the thing was really cool, but now its guts are tangled up with carpet balls.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:42:35 AM EDT
[#16]
dont get the dyson-wasnt rated very high.  plus like 500 bucks!!!  Hover windtunnel was rated the best
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
dont get the dyson-wasnt rated very high.  plus like 500 bucks!!!  Hover windtunnel was rated the best

i think i read that in consumer reports too, the dyson is made in malaysia be muslims who hate us
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm let's see, a sucking robot?

That's it, I simply must have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top