Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2006 7:10:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 7:15:26 AM EDT by TacticalStrat]
Do the main stream gun magazines like Guns and Ammo etc report gun malfunctions in their articles?

I recently subcribed to Gun Tests, and they tell it like it is. They'll flat out tell you that a gun was a jam-o-matic and that you should not buy it.

Here's a sample article: Link

Walther P99
"Functioning of this P99 was very unsatisfactory. During the first 100 rounds, the slide locked back four times while there was still rounds in the magazine. During the second 100 rounds, we had three failures to fire. These misfires were a result of the striker decocking, instead of going all the way forward and firing the chambered round, while we were firing rapidly in the single-action mode. None of our shooters felt this pistol’s operation was reliable."

Smith & Wesson Model 4006
"At the range, our Model 4006 readily fed and fired all of the commercial ammunition we tried. As designed, the slide automatically locked to the rear on an empty magazine. However, it also locked open once when there was still rounds in the magazine. Since this was the only malfunction we encountered while firing this pistol, our shooters considered it to be reliable. "

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:13:02 AM EDT
I've read a lot of articles that say there were X failures in Y rounds during the test. It is usually contained in one sentence, though. Most of them are pretty flowery, but I just buy them for the gun pron, anyway. Who actually reads that crap?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:13:11 AM EDT
G&A, not so much. I haven't bought an issue in years. The only thing I miss is Cooper's page.

Shooting Times and most of the others, they will report malfs but in an oblique way. You just have to know what "...but that was during the break-in period" really means.
Top Top