Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
huzzah! I know one person was found expired, but to get 12 of 13 out is a miracle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff, i pretty much gave up hope.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I told my children that if they survived the initial problem, they are probably OK.

I have seen them end differently.

God Bless the miners and St. Barbara, the patron saint.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It is great news that one man has survived!

Prayers are needed for the families of the 12 who have lost their lives.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And people say prayers aren't answered.

HOT Damn!

and +1 I'm so relieved.  I can't even phathom what the families are going through!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
FOX News coverage is major suck.  That phone interview they did with the guy with an uncle down there was horrible.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Shocking. I thought for sure they were all gone..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Outfuckinstanding.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Info is changing...

Looks like there maybe only a single survivor.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#12]
you posted too soon
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
From AP.... Jan 4, 3:11 AM EST

TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. (AP) -- Family members reported early Wednesday that 11 of the 12 coal miners who were initially thought to have survived an explosion in a coal mine have died.

Families learned of the deaths from mine officials more than three hours after Gov. Joe Manchin said he had been told 12 of the miners survived the disaster. The sole survivor of the disaster was hospitalized, a doctor said.

<NOTE: The link up top seems to update automatically so text is changing>
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
you posted too soon

No, the media reported too soon.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you posted too soon

It appears the media reported on incomplete info and hearsay.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you posted too soon

As usual.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
You know what.....

SHIT

thats what.

May they RIP
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

HOT Damn!

That's what I was thinking till I found out they were all dead but one
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#19]
hell I just saw where they were all dead except one.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to go back to bed.  This was horrible news to wake up too.    Those poor families.  What the NEWS did to them was so cruel.  It reminds me of after 911 when there were false reports of survivors from the towers calling from their cell phones under the rubble and rescue workers dug frantically trying to rescue them.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I want to go back to bed.  This was horrible news to wake up too.  

+1.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#22]
rip gents...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
The media never cared one bit about those miners.  They cared about ratings.  Whipping up false hopes kept the story alive, even if the miners were not.  That false hope they helped spread allowed some people to hear information that was completely false (when listening to one side of a phone conversation).  Then the media helped spread that incorrect news (think Geraldo running around like a monkey).

Now they blame everyone else.  And lo and behold this story has been a gold mine.  Now they can transition right into their next news story, "What went wrong...".  They'll get all sorts of mileage out of "investigating" who is at fault.  Of course that investigation will NEVER mention the media itself (think 2000 election).

ETA: Correction, they have two new parallel stories: what went wrong and who is at fault with the mine blast AND the misinformation getting out that the miners were alive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The media never cared one bit about those miners.  They cared about ratings.  Whipping up false hopes kept the story alive, even if the miners were not.  That false hope they helped spread allowed some people to hear information that was completely false (when listening to one side of a phone conversation).  Then the media helped spread that incorrect news (think Geraldo running around like a monkey).

Now they blame everyone else.  And lo and behold this story has been a gold mine.  Now they can transition right into their next news story, "What went wrong...".  They'll get all sorts of mileage out of "investigating" who is at fault.  Of course that investigation will NEVER mention the media itself (think 2000 election).

ETA: Correction, they have two new parallel stories: what went wrong and who is at fault with the mine blast AND the misinformation getting out that the miners were alive.

While the media does jump the gun in general your post is disingenous if you don't include the fact that the incorrect news was caused by an employee calling family members with incorrect information.  Geraldo was taping a standup when family members ran up to him and told him their loved ones were alive..immediately afterwards the church bells started ringing.  After that no one talked to the media for 3 hrs
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want to go back to bed.  This was horrible news to wake up too.  

+1.

Damn it.  I went to bed thinking these guys were all alive.

How sad for the families.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#26]
This morning they were saying what probably happened was when the rescue team called the command center saying they had found twelve and were checking for vital signs somebody overheard it, jumped to conclusions, and the rumor was loosed and uncontrollable.

Pretty sad.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While the media does jump the gun in general your post is disingenous if you don't include the fact that the incorrect news was caused by an employee calling family members with incorrect information.  Geraldo was taping a standup when family members ran up to him and told him their loved ones were alive..immediately afterwards the church bells started ringing.  After that no one talked to the media for 3 hrs

Not disingenuous.  The news media used to take enough pride in their work (instead of beating the other guy by 10 seconds) to get information like that from a good source.  They damn well should have confirmed something like that.  They had been there long enough to have developed a relationship with someone who could have confirmed it in a few minutes.  They never tried.  Those "news" people were no different than me except they had a camera and satellite hookup.  They ceased being "news" sources and are more like "rumor" sources.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#29]
What a massive clusterfck...  Look at the emotions of the thread and then maginify this by 1000 and you get a feeling how those families are feeling...  Somebody should have spoke up sooner had they known that what everybody thought was not true...  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

HOT Damn!

yeah, real nice
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
What a massive clusterfck...  Look at the emotions of the thread and then maginify this by 1000 and you get a feeling how those families are feeling...  Somebody should have spoke up sooner had they known that what everybody thought was not true...  

The problem is that the people who actually knew were probably a bit busy trying to rescue/recover.  Therein lies the problem.  The "news" does not contribute to the effort.  They should be kept far away until things are resolved.  The push to get the story out first only causes them to be in the way and causes crap like this story.  The guys trying to rescue those miners didn't have time for a press conference every 5 minutes.  They had more important jobs to do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#33]
One widow is going to sue over the false info.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

false info?  it was already reported that at least one miner had died.  Whos to say that it was not her husband that was the deceased?  All but one had the correct info they just didnt know it yet.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Who is she gonna sue?

Lawsuits, the new American business model.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Gotta love the American Media....chasing ratings and crushing peoples lives.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Gotta love the American Media....chasing ratings and crushing peoples lives.

man that is just fucked up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I saw her as well, sad really is...But it will go no where and emotions are as high as they can be. The law suits over the 208 violations will have merit...But not false info.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not disingenuous.  The news media used to take enough pride in their work (instead of beating the other guy by 10 seconds) to get information like that from a good source.  They damn well should have confirmed something like that.  They had been there long enough to have developed a relationship with someone who could have confirmed it in a few minutes.  They never tried.  Those "news" people were no different than me except they had a camera and satellite hookup.  They ceased being "news" sources and are more like "rumor" sources.

I agree with you that the news is too busy trying to be first.  It has been like that for decades. During the Reagan shooting and Jonestown Massacre the media had problems getting the correct word out. I don't believe however that the person who spread the word deserves a free pass on this unless everyone else gets one..especially if he was a supervisor/manager..Like you said, the people that knew the truth were probably too busy doing search and rescue to correct the info so the media might not have had any sources to do further verification..There was no way the media on site was going to sit for 3 hours while family members were calling their friends and family (other media outlets) across the country..if they had they would have had to answer for it

ETA..The media didn't mislead the families..the mining company did (probably by accident) If the media is partially at fault for misleading anyone its the viewing public but then our pain is miniscule compared to what the families are going through
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Damn

RIP gentlemen...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#41]

PCsutton, mind changing the thread title. Just a thought.
CH
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Currently on the CNN front page are big bold letters "WE WANT TO KNOW WHY!"

I'm waiting for "George Bush doesn't like the miners".  Sucks that blame comes before mourning the people that died.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

PCsutton, mind changing the thread title. Just a thought.
CH

+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Currently on the CNN front page are big bold letters "WE WANT TO KNOW WHY!"

I'm waiting for "George Bush doesn't like the miners".  Sucks that blame comes before mourning the people that died.

Hell, blame came before trying to rescue them.  Yesterday morning they were asking family members and mine personnel what they thought of the supposed safety violation record.  A couple of people had the balls to say, "We'll worry about that later, when there's time.  Now is the time to try to save these guys."
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#45]

And here I was feeling great...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hell, blame came before trying to rescue them.  Yesterday morning they were asking family members and mine personnel what they thought of the supposed safety violation record.  A couple of people had the balls to say, "We'll worry about that later, when there's time.  Now is the time to try to save these guys."

Yep.

And now I heard on the radio this morning, one family member stating "I'll say it now.  I'm gonna sue."

What a whore, if the first thing that pops into your head when you hear your spouse is dead is how much money your going to sue for, you must be a real bitch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

What a whore, if the first thing that pops into your head when you hear your spouse is dead is how much money your going to sue for, you must be a real bitch.

+1

-1000000 for the Media and not checking and investigating all info BEFORE reporting it out to the world.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top