Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
... Didn't the Samurai consider guns to be uncivilized too?  

I suppose the one's that survived did...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait, this is a TV show we're arguing about?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
[The Star Wars thing has been beaten to death already. It was about culture where a lightsaber was precise and elegant while a blaster was random and clumsy.

I have never understood the whole blade culture thing at all
I personally do  not think shooting a person is nearly as violent as stabbing or hacking them up
I have a hunch that most wackos serial killers whatever  the vast majority of them used other means  as opposed to fireams
They may have use firearms to abduct or whatever  but to do whatever deed they must do to get excited i bet most use a knife, bludgen,or bare hands or  whatever  

I think it's supposed to be a class thing.  Becoming proficient with a blade takes a lot more training than firearms.  Didn't the Samurai consider guns to be uncivilized too?  

actually no they embraced firearms as soon as they had access
they were pratical soldiers they relized a sword was iinfeior to the bow ,spear ,and eventally the firearm

Best link I could find on short notice

BTW a arquebus is a musket

Hmm. I've read in several places that Japan was one of the few nations to have a total gun ban early on, so strictly enforced that guns were virtually eliminated from the island. No pretenses, it was done specifically so that the Samauri class could totally dominate the peasant class.

actually that is correct but the Samauri did use firearms as soon as they were aviliable
they realized it was more effective  weapon
they just didn't want the peasent  class to get them as mentioned

Wow talk about a thread hijack huh?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You gotta remember that most of the public gets anything they "learn" about guns from TV.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You gotta remember that most of the public gets anything they "learn" about guns from TV.

Yup.  That is the danger.  Except I would add "anything they 'learn' or 'think' about guns...."
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When we punish (boycott) their behavior they will stop. Until then the Hollywood propaganda machine marches on.

HALLELUJAH! Somebody gets it!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know about all that but Det. Oliva Benson makes me very happy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hmm. I've read in several places that Japan was one of the few nations to have a total gun ban early on, so strictly enforced that guns were virtually eliminated from the island. No pretenses, it was done specifically so that the Samauri class could totally dominate the peasant class.

IIRC, there was also a ban on swords for the general population also. Only the samauri class could carry weapons.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#9]
what about the episode about the lesbian whose daughter was expelled from catholic school....at one point one of the detectives says "but we live in a blue state, this isnt supposed to happen here"....

every single episode of that show has some sort of a slant or agenda.  i cant even be in the room when my wife watches it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Its a very left leaning program. Were you expecting anything favorable to the right in that program?

Just remember your wrong, the state is right, Do NOT question Authority
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Did you know that she is Jayne Mansfield's daughter?  Probably where she gets her good looks from.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you know that she is Jayne Mansfield's daughter?  Probably where she gets her good looks from.

Soooo going to hell for this, but "Geronimo, motherfucker!":

The wrong hottie died in that accident.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. She was in the car accident that killed her mother as well. She was 3 at the time.
BIO
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. She was in the car accident that killed her mother as well. She was 3 at the time.
BIO

That's what her cranial scar is from (didn't read the bio, so don't know if it says that or not).

ETA: Love your username, BTW.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#15]
famous L&O lines:

"That thing is practically an assault weapon!" --Olivia referring to a desert eagle.

"you own 3 hand guns? what are you trying to do, raise an army?" --Olivia again I think

*hammer cocking noise* --EVERY FREAKING  TIME THEY DRAW THEIR GLOCKS!

Then there's the infamous 'Damn Bitches' episode where McCoy sues a gun manufacturer, wins in court, but is then overturned by the Judge, rightfully, because the Jury convicted on purely emotional grounds. Bitter-sweet vicory I guess.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
CSI is doing one with werewolves thursday night.

I guess some people need to be reminded that this is JUST tv.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
holy crap, a law and order show did an anti-gun episode?!?!?!?

SOMEBODY WAKE THE PRESIDENT!!!

Next thing you know one of the CSI shows will completely ignore real criminal science and the laws of physics!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't been able to watch much of this season at all. To much lefty puke. I prefer the re-runs that seem a little less poltically charged and more Oliva screen time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[The Star Wars thing has been beaten to death already. It was about culture where a lightsaber was precise and elegant while a blaster was random and clumsy.

I have never understood the whole blade culture thing at all
I personally do  not think shooting a person is nearly as violent as stabbing or hacking them up
I have a hunch that most wackos serial killers whatever  the vast majority of them used other means  as opposed to fireams
They may have use firearms to abduct or whatever  but to do whatever deed they must do to get excited i bet most use a knife, bludgen,or bare hands or  whatever  

Renaissance-Fair faggot fanboys who have spent too much time jerk'n off while watching "Highlander"......at least the ones I've had the misfortune to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
CSI is doing one with werewolves thursday night.

I guess some people need to be reminded that this is JUST tv.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

I guess some people need to be reminded that the only "knowledge" most folks have about guns comes from TV, so it is not "JUST tv".
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#20]
The one thing you can take away from shows like that is that if you get nabbed by the police, SHUT THE FUCK UP and get a lawyer, whether you did it or not.  And don't fall for the routine of Sippowicz (sp?) wearing glasses and holding a briefcase, acting polite, and saying "I was told that there's something you want to talk to me about?"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The one thing you can take away from shows like that is that if you get nabbed by the police, SHUT THE FUCK UP and get a lawyer, whether you did it or not.  And don't fall for the routine of Sippowicz (sp?) wearing glasses and holding a briefcase, acting polite, and saying "I was told that there's something you want to talk to me about?"

What I suspect with a lot of shows or movies in that vein is an attempt at some subtle (or, not so subtle) brainwashing.  That's the way "they" want you to be!  Docile and compliant, and if evidence is being formed to fit, please try to elaborate so it works better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Yup.  Ever notice how even when Elliot goes too far, it always works out in the end?  e.g. he only roughs up the guilty, even when a "verdict" is entirely too premature.  I've never seen him kick the shit out of a "child molester" who turns out to be a saint.

The one thing I do give SVU props for is that <gasp> sometimes they're wrong (and the media, as well - who'd a thunk it? ).  I've seen a few episodes where they and/or the media get all caught up in the *emotion* of an issue, only to end up with egg on their faces.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I watched it last night off my DVR, in spite of seeing this thread yesterday...

Quoted:
... *hammer cocking noise* --EVERY FREAKING  TIME THEY DRAW THEIR GLOCKS! ...

Yep, they all have Steven Seagal Syndrome...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Fuck Hollywood...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, there was also a ban on swords for the general population also. Only the samauri class could carry weapons.

Yes, which is why their various unarmed combats styles were invented.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top