Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 1:40:18 PM EDT
I was scheduled to work the second and third shift on a Saturday night. Started feeling sick, tried to find someone to cover my shifts but no one was available. Normally getting someone to work a Saturday night is not an issue. I started working my shift and continued to get sicker. I decided since I could not find anyone to help me out I was not going to be out and about much.

I called dispatch to let them know what was going on and to call me at home if they needed me. I fill up the gas tank and start to head home. About half way there I get a call about a loud party at one of our trailer parks.

I roll by and there had to be twenty or more people in the yard. Loud music, booze etc. I turn on my tape recorder, find the guy who owns the trailer and tell him to lower the music, keep his guests out of the street and just tone it down.

He tells me to come back when I get off my shift. Says he has a couple of girls in the back giving blowjobs and he will hook me up. I tell him no, thanks and I go 10-8.

As I pull out of the trailer park a car comes by and almost hits me. I chase the car down and do a car stop. The guys is DUI. I hook him up, start my paperwork while I'm waiting on the tow truck. Get him to the jail, booked in and I'm going home.

Dispatch calls me and let's me know that the party goers called in and complained on me. Reportedly saying I made a bunch of racist comments. Big deal, call the chief on Monday file a complaint, I've got it all on tape.

I stop by the PD to drop off my paperwork from the DUI arrest. So the guy working first shift the next day will have access to my report if he needs them the next day. As I'm heading out of the PD I see a car totally blow a four way stop sign, making a right hand turn. I go after the car, get it stopped and what do you know another DUI.

At this point I'm barely holding on. I was so sick. But I still had to process this DUI. Get the guy to the jail, I'm heading home. On the way back I get another call about the party at the trailer park. I get there and tell them to shut it down.

I then get another call about 5 young males walking through a subdivision. I go to check it out. I see them and call in that I will be out checking these guys out. Turns out they had just left the party. Their ride had not come to pick them up. Turns out the guy who was suppose to pick them up was my second DUI arrest.

I decide to get the guys out of my town. I tell them I will give them a ride to the city limits. But before they can get in my car I have to do a pat down on them. First guy I patted down had some cheap handgun in his pocket (no CHL). Hook up number three of the night. About this time a deputy pulls up to back me up. He loads the other four and gives them a ride to the city limits.

In the end I made three arrests that night and never did get home till the first shift guy came on.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that sucks, but it always works out that way at work when you are sick.

Good call on the tape recorder - is that SOP?  Is there a crime committed by making a false complaint like the scumbag at the trailer court did?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn I am glad that people like you are so dedicated to doing the job. I don't think I could handle all that. Good job man!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Good call on the tape recorder - is that SOP?  Is there a crime committed by making a false complaint like the scumbag at the trailer court did?

It was not SOP at my department but I would say 60% of us carried the pocket tape recorders. I would turn mine on during any dealings with the public, when I would begin a car stop etc.

Yes, we did prosecute three people (different cases) for filing a false report. The Chief would have them write out a statement and sign the report. We would then file a report and swear out a warrant for their arrest.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for sharing Bama. I enjoy your Podunk Patrol stories.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was not SOP at my department but I would say 60% of us carried the pocket tape recorders. I would turn mine on during any dealings with the public, when I would begin a car stop etc.

Yes, we did prosecute three people (different cases) for filing a false report. The Chief would have them write out a statement and sign the report. We would then file a report and swear out a warrant for their arrest.

Good for you.

Burn 'em.  I hate liars.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow!  Some of us here may give cops a hard time about some (notice I use the word some) of the things you guys do, but please don't think we don't appreciate the rest.  I don't want that job, so I'm glad others like you have a calling for it.  Some people have complained about certain methods of DUI enforcement, but I don't think anyone would complain about testing someone that almost runs into a cop car(stupid!) or that runs a stop sign.  Good stops.z
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Jeez what kinda party was this that you have to bring a handgun to it?  Trailer trash must party a little harder than us suburbia folks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, good job man.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Same here.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You know, I have NEVER had the desire to do LE work.....but there is something about Bama's stories that make it an attractive proposition to be a small town cop......I have NO idea what it is and it sounds silly to me.......but, damn, he has some great stories....

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

* now returning to the "fearsome foursome" thread *
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Why is it that when you are feeling your worst, everything goes to hell??

I'm just glad to hear it doesn't only happen to me.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Bama, we should have switched A.O.'s.  Had you been here, you could have rested without interuption as I had no bond calls over the weekend.

Had I been in your A.O., I could have made a couple bucks.

Hope you're feeling better.

Regards,
Bailagent100
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Jeez what kinda party was this that you have to bring a handgun to it?  Trailer trash must party a little harder than us suburbia folks

It was so bad even the po-lease took pistols to it.

I wanna know who puked on who first?  Usually it's the drunk puking on the cop.

Being a small town Cop can be interesting, but it ain't all Andy and Mayberry.  

My Dad was an LEO in the small city he grew up in.  Went through elementary school and up, Y camp leader, Scouts, produce assistant at the local market, graduated in 41,  into the Army in 42 and on to the PD the first work day after mustering out.  So he ended up arresting people he knew for years for beating wifes, drunk driving, (when he was on the Vestry our Pastor got involved with an illegal alien, a chicken and a nail file, Ma Danby's father was the Defense attorney on that case, boy was that an interesting time),  but that bad part is hearing an accident around the corner and finding a drunk has killed a guy he knew for years, paralyzed the wife (another friend who grew up across the sreet) and killed one of their kids, making death notifications to friends on kids they threw out of the house, watching friends houses burn down.  Getting phone calls in the middle of the night to see if he can help get a "friend" out of jail, complaints about traffic tickets,  offers of free Rose Bowl tickets when Jan 1 is his busiest day of the year(Parade traffic, game traffic, Santa Anita Racetrack traffic, etc)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Good work keep it up.  You are dedicated officer of the law.

Max
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top