Posted: 1/3/2006 9:33:43 AM EDT
Gun control lobby is thinking small

Tools Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Jenny Price
Sunday, January 1, 2006

Wouldn't it make more sense to define the ultimate battle as one for a national ban on handguns -- the sole gun-control measure that promises to save tens of thousands of lives?
Five years ago an elderly Los Angeles woman who had agreed to move out of her daughter's apartment bought a handgun. She cleared the background check, passed the safety test and practiced on targets at the local shooting range. Then she shot and killed her daughter and her daughter's fiance -- my brother David.

As someone who has lost a member of my family to gun violence, I see the new federal legislation to limit gun manufacturers' liability as unconscionable beyond my ken. But what troubles me most is that the gun control lobby is pouring its resources into battles that probably won't save many lives, and we're losing even those.

In the past decade, states have passed law after law to require safety locks, force gun-purchase waiting periods, trace bullets back to their sources and allow victims to sue manufacturers for negligence. That such measures have produced at best slight decreases in the rate of gun deaths is hardly surprising; only 3 percent of gun deaths are accidents and most murderers own their handguns legally and know how to use them safely.

ZIP code where you park at night:

Do you currently have auto insurance? Yes No

Have you had a U.S. driver's license for more than 3 years? Yes No

Has any driver in your household had 2 or more accidents or moving violations in the last 3 years? Yes No

California has passed a raft of such laws in the past five years and is widely praised as one of the most progressive states on gun control. In that same period, the number of handgun-related homicides has fallen and then risen again, with no correlation whatever.

The real problem is not that handguns aren't safe or well-regulated enough or that you can't sue and try to bankrupt a corrupt manufacturer after someone you love has been killed. The problem is that 60 million people in the United States own handguns. The gun used to kill my brother was a Glock 19, a light and portable semiautomatic. These guns are designed to kill people: That's their sole purpose. Nearly 12,000 Americans annually use guns to do just that and the majority use handguns. Twelve thousand: That's comparable to the number of AIDS deaths each year in the United States. (Great Britain has about 100 gun deaths each year.)

And if the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which leads the gun control crusade, continues to assure us that it won't try to outlaw handguns? Then new laws to restrict who can buy guns and where they can carry them might reduce the annual toll to 10,000. But that's optimistic.

Wouldn't it make more sense to define the ultimate battle as one for a national ban on handguns -- the sole gun-control measure that promises to save tens of thousands of lives? With an endgame that can actually achieve the ultimate goal, perhaps we'd acquire the logical and moral authority to win more of the smaller battles.

I can hear the gun lobby scoffing: "Guns don't kill people. People do." This ditty is familiar to all of us. Yes, and bombs and chemical weapons don't kill people either but they're not sold over the counter to just about anyone without a criminal record who can prove that he or she can use them safely.

Of the 12,000 guns used to kill people every year, 160 are used in legitimate self-defense. Guns in the home are used seven times more often for murder than for self-defense. I cannot say whether the woman who shot my brother was vicious or insane: I myself no longer understand the exact difference. But we all know that rage, vengefulness and deep alienation are hardly unusual in our society; a handgun makes it horrifyingly easy for people to express them, on purpose or on impulse, by killing people.

If the National Rifle Association wants to pour its own considerable resources into creating a society ruled by absolute peace and brotherhood, I'm all for it. But let's stop arming the populace in the meantime, which pro- and anti-gun advocates alike know for certain will create a mountainous death toll.

Jenny Price is a writer living in Los Angeles.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:34:56 AM EDT
Something tells me I read this already...but I won't use the "D" word.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:35:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

I will...
Dupe!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:36:59 AM EDT
I didn't see the dupe

But

I lost a very beloved cousin and an uncle (at different times) to car accidents. I am not out to ban cars.

This woman needs to take a long walk off a short pier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:39:52 AM EDT
That'll teach em not to make granny move out!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:39:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
I didn't see the dupe

But

I lost a very beloved cousin and an uncle (at different times) to car accidents. I am not out to ban cars.

This woman needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

What she needs is someone to break into her apartment, beat her with a baseball bat, rape her 10 ways till Sunday, and then stick said baseball bat (wide end) into her pooper.

Then she can work on banning baseball.....

(Meant as sarcasm only!)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:50:43 AM EDT
She's too emotional. If her Brother was murdered with a steak knife, she would want them banned as well. What a douche!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 9:56:04 AM EDT by LoginName]

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

Yeah, the Washington Post ran that bile on Dec 25th, then the Hartford Courant ran it on the 28th...

(Posted here on Dec 28th...)

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=422337

Now it looks like another newsrag picked up on it (dated Jan 1st).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:53:15 AM EDT
Does anyone ever wish, just for a second, that the chaos her wishes would create was here, so that she could be completely helpless when some thugs come to rape and murder her?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:53:33 AM EDT
Machine guns aren't killing anybody. Therefore, we should only be allowed to own machine guns. For the children.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:55:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mace:
Does anyone ever wish, just for a second, that the chaos her wishes would create was here, so that she could be completely helpless when some thugs come to rape and murder her?

Well......no

That is just wrong.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:03:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:06:17 AM EDT
Do knives kill more people than guns?

Well...........
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:22:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
No mention of why the old lady shot the authors brother. I guess she doesn't feel that is pertinent.

Sounds awfully typical left wing, my brother or brohters girlfriend may have been a scuzzbucket but they'd still be alive if it wasn't for the gun.

I've heard this song sang so many times, I call this song the "The Dead Gangbangers Mom Song".

Tj

You assume Jenny is telling the truth. More often then not these anti-gun people lie, tell half truths and exaggerate. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that this never happened or Jenny's bro and sister-in-law were crack heads about to set her on fire when granny put a cap in their ass (or something to that affect).

I'm sure Jenny is upset about something but all we know is that she has mental issues, displaced anger and the whole bit.

Shok
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:23:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
Gun control lobby is thinking small

Tools Print this article
E-mail this article
Subscribe to this paper
Larger / Smaller Text

By Jenny Price
Sunday, January 1, 2006

<snip>
" and most murderers own their handguns legally and know how to use them safely. "

<snip>

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:25:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
No mention of why the old lady shot the authors brother. I guess she doesn't feel that is pertinent.

Sounds awfully typical left wing, my brother or brohters girlfriend may have been a scuzzbucket but they'd still be alive if it wasn't for the gun.

I've heard this song sang so many times, I call this song the "The Dead Gangbangers Mom Song".

Tj

Don't forget the accompanying wailing:
"My baby didn't hurt nobody!"
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:26:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:
She's too emotional. If her Brother was murdered with a steak knife, she would want them banned as well. What a douche!

I also don't see her rushing in to declare we are soft on crime and demanding the death penalty or much stiffer sentences for criminals.

She probably wrote an article for Tookie too. Dumb bi@tch
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:30:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 10:31:08 AM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:33:57 AM EDT
Pure emotion.

"My brother was killed by a handgun. If it were not for handguns then my brother would still be alive. Therefore all handguns must be banned."
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:38:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:40:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:40:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
It's a good thing that he didn't choke to death on a piece of meat (or pie) else we'd be hearing the hue and cry to ban meat - or resturants.

Or, God forbid, the call for a ban of pie. And that would start the revolution.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:41:35 AM EDT
What handgun to buy now? I need a new wallet to so somebody try to ban them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:44:19 AM EDT
Sounds like the same tired lines the gun-grabbers have been peddling for years. Guns are only used 160 times a year for self-defense, the FBI would disagree with you on that one. Then there's the 7 times more likely (usually 17 times) line which has been proven wrong many times over. If your brother died in an auto accident would you want to ban cars? Some people just don't get it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:48:22 AM EDT
I wonder what is the blame for millions murdered before guns were invented? When the Zulus and other tribes in South Africa killed 200,000 with spears, knives and neck-lacing, without guns, did anybody notice?
Writers such as this one make me want to keep another loaded gun around the house ...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:56:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
Of the 12,000 guns used to kill people every year, 160 are used in legitimate self-defense. Guns in the home are used seven times more often for murder than for self-defense. I cannot say whether the woman who shot my brother was vicious or insane: I myself no longer understand the exact difference. But we all know that rage, vengefulness and deep alienation are hardly unusual in our society; a handgun makes it horrifyingly easy for people to express them, on purpose or on impulse, by killing people.

Jenny Price is a writer living in Los Angeles.

You can tell this woman has an agenda, she quotes statistics out of context and souce. People who say that guns kill "X" number of people don't look at how many are save from robberies because that type of info is not kept. Personally, I am more concerned about automobile drivers because you are more likely to be killed in an automotive collision.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:01:08 AM EDT
dupe
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:01:50 PM EDT
Top Top