Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 7:46:19 AM EDT
I was walking down the sidewalk, and not 15 feet from me I saw a squirrel take a head dive from a tree and land with a snap on the sidewalk.  I'm pretty sure I heard it scream "I regret nothing!" as it fell.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a half dozen birds commit suicide using my back windows as their vehicle to the other side.

It's strange when one of Gods creatures decides it's had enough.

Thank goodness for Windex.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]

i saw one of those little bastards fall out of a tree and hit the ground from about 30'. sounded like a tennis ball when it hit the ground. he got right back up though and scurried back into the tree. i think the soft ground/grass saved its' ass.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you hear any cats chanting "Jump... Jump... Jump..."?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Tree rodent.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Once, while hunting, I was about to take a shot at this huge doe when a squirrel fell out of the tree and landed square on the doe's back. Deer freaked out and started snorting, bucking, and running in circles, the squirrel is holding on for dear life and cussing at the top of his lungs, and I'm falling out of the blind laughing my ass off. Eventually the squirrel flew off the deer and landed in some bushes and the doe took off running.

First and only rodeo I've seen in the wild.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Are the folks over at Frugals in mourning yet?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#9]
How do you know, in fact, he was not PUSHED?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BUSH DID IT!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I once saw a squirrel running across a power line next to my house.  The stupid thing tried to pull itself onto the wire above that one and ZAP! the thing jerked and fell plop to the ground right in front of me.  I thought it was dead, but a few seconds later, it hopped up chittering and shaking and ran off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've seen a half dozen birds commit suicide using my back windows as their vehicle to the other side.

It's strange when one of Gods creatures decides it's had enough.

Thank goodness for Windex.

Actually, it's the Windex that's killing them. They see the sky reflecting in the window and think it's a hole they can fly through and run right into it at full speed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#13]
so yeah, my cousin found out that if you shoot at a squirrel up in a tree with a paintball gun, after a minute they'll just.....JUMP.         whack smack bump.  THOD

i felt bad for it, but as soon as it hit the ground it took off running full speed.       but i mean, it hit HARD.    i hiope it didnt break any ribs, definitely havent seen that since or tried it myself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shhhh...he's just sleeping.

He's pinin' for the fjords.

Those Norweigan Blue Squirrels tend to be a bit dramatic.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe some should take a clue from nature..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUSH DID IT!

[Stan\] No, I pushed the squirrel. [/Stan]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

i saw one of those little bastards fall out of a tree and hit the ground from about 30'. sounded like a tennis ball when it hit the ground. he got right back up though and scurried back into the tree. i think the soft ground/grass saved its' ass.

Heck.  I have shot them, watched them fall 30+ feet, get up and run away with one leg gone and a shot to the side. (number 6 shot)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I saw one of those little bastards fall out of a tree and hit the ground from about 30'. sounded like a tennis ball when it hit the ground. he got right back up though and scurried back into the tree. i think the soft ground/grass saved its' ass.

This one fell on concrete, on its head.  I think it broke its neck because I couldn't find any damaged parts of the skull.  Its body twitched and shook for about a minute, and then was still.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 6 billion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
the squirrel is holding on for deer life and cussing at the top of his lungs,

Fixed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Once when I was still in the lawn buisness, we were cutting grass at a nursing home. So, I'm in the back making my way around to the front when all of a sudden I here a thud behind me.

I turn around, damn squirrel had fallen from this huge tree. I thought he was dead or dying because he started spining in cirlces on the gravel, but he eventually ran under a car
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I once saw a squirrel running across a power line next to my house.  The stupid thing tried to pull itself onto the wire above that one and ZAP! the thing jerked and fell plop to the ground right in front of me.  I thought it was dead, but a few seconds later, it hopped up chittering and shaking and ran off.

Had our dinner interrupted one night by the same thing, only thing left was the charred smoking remains of a squirrel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I've seen them take incredible falls and survive.

I guess it has a lot to do with the whole mass and velocity calculation... ya know, physics stuff.

Just like the Mythbusters have shown several times, something lightweight (like a squirrel) can be moving at a pretty high velocity but still have a minor impact.

I guess that's what's happening when a 3oz. squirrel falls 30 feet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUSH DID IT!

[Stan\] No, I pushed the squirrel. [/Stan]

I pushed the squirrel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Tree rodent.

In Ohio it ain't no pine squirrel.....it's supper!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#29]
My Dad was coyote hunting once, had a coyote run across the road in front of him, coyote jumped the ditch and landed on a Tomcat hiding in the weeds.  Cat went tearing up a power pole, and hit the ground wire and hot wire at the same time.  Huge flash of sparks, and smoking dead cat came tumbling to the ground.  

Man, i wish I'd have seen that!

Coyote was unharmed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Once, while hunting, I was about to take a shot at this huge doe when a squirrel fell out of the tree and landed square on the doe's back. Deer freaked out and started snorting, bucking, and running in circles, the squirrel is holding on for dear life and cussing at the top of his lungs, and I'm falling out of the blind laughing my ass off. Eventually the squirrel flew off the deer and landed in some bushes and the doe took off running.

First and only rodeo I've seen in the wild.

When I was walking back to work 5 years ago I saw a squirel on top of a tranformer.

Next thing I saw was a 20-30 foot stream of fire shooting out of the transformer.  Damn it was loud as hell too.  It sounded like a truck jake braking.  There were also sparks falling down onto a huge propane tank that they use for refiling the 20 lbs tanks.  

Weirdest thing I have every witnessed. My town was without power for 4 hours.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Tree rodent.  RAT

fixed it for you
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Wellsir, I've never even gone hunting or prepared an animal before , but I did some quick (like 15 minutes) research, got some tools, and skinned it.  Just the back skin, not the limbs or underbelly.  I scraped it good, cleaned it, and now it's drying.  I'm not sure if I know what I'm doing, but it's still fun to try.  I didn't know if I would be too squeamish to do it, but after a minute or so it was just business.

Any tips on how to cure the skin well?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#33]
One time I was at the ranch and witnessed a tree rat run right into the ballistic path of a 9mm bullet. Imagine that!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw one of those little bastards fall out of a tree and hit the ground from about 30'. sounded like a tennis ball when it hit the ground. he got right back up though and scurried back into the tree. i think the soft ground/grass saved its' ass.

This one fell on concrete, on its head.  I think it broke its neck because I couldn't find any damaged parts of the skull.  Its body twitched and shook for about a minute, and then was still.

Well it sounds like dinner just fell into your lap so to say. Let us know how it tasted.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sometimes at these exact moments, other, more highly evolved souls are able to walk in and take over a new body.  It happens with humans, but I'm not sure about squirrels.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Arrest that squirrel now.  It's illegal to commit suicide.  

Also, you must be sued since you were the closest party and must somehow be responsible for this senseless death.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#37]
BTT.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
BTT.

why?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shhhh...he's just sleeping.

He's pinin' for the fjords.

Those Norweigan Blue Squirrels tend to be a bit dramatic.

Beautiful plumage!

Damnit - someone beat me to it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tree rodent.

In Ohio Kentucky it ain't no pine squirrel.....it's supper!

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTT.

why?

Because instead of creating a new thread, I'm asking my question here.  Anyone have any advice on curing a skin?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top