Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 11:47:43 PM EDT
Hopefully this time they use real M4's or at least real M16's instead of the Atchisson .22's.

This new updated version CANNOT be complete without the Mall Ninja!

[img]www.mcuzi.com/imbroglio/ninjadawn1.jpg[/img]
[img]www.mcuzi.com/imbroglio/ninjadawn2.jpg[/img]

From Variety:

Hoping to revive the flesh-eating zombie as a film staple, Beacon Communications will remake the George Romero horror classic "Dawn of the Dead," with "Scooby-Doo" scribe James Gunn writing the script.

The deal was made with Richard P. Rubinstein, the New Amsterdam Entertainment CEO who produced the original film and owned the rights.

Rubinstein had turned down offers to remake the film for years, but finally relented after a campaign by Beacon executive Eric Newman. Rubinstein cited Beacon's "strong commitment to giving the remake competitive production values" as the reason he made the deal. New Amsterdam veep Mike Messina will be associate producer.

"Dawn of the Dead" was the long-awaited sequel to the seminal fright film "Night of the Living Dead." It was somewhat campy compared to its predecessor, in that the first instinct of the reanimated corpses was to mass at a shopping mall, where the zombies turn the whole mall into a food court.

Money maker

The film was a critical and financial hit, grossing more than 10 times its cost in its first year, and playing well overseas. It becomes the second in the series to be remade, after Tom Savini revived "Night of the Living Dead."

"Everyone involved has a tremendous amount of respect for the integrity of George Romero's film, and we see the remake as more of an update than a reinvention," said Beacon's Newman, who'll oversee the film with development director Steve Asbell.

The film's sly social statements about the consumer culture of the time, which drove the zombies to the mall, will remain intact. "The social commentary underlying George's original film in terms of shopping as a way of life is still very relevant," said Rubinstein, who has also produced the horror films "Pet Sematary" and "Creepshow."

Infusion of hipness

The studio and producer chose Gunn because of the hip take he brought to both the recently wrapped Warner Bros. comedy "Scooby-Doo" which stars Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Geller, and "Spy vs. Spy," the comedy based on the warring Mad magazine characters that is being developed by "Austin Powers" director Jay Roach.

Gunn, who began his career writing low budget horror films, sparked to the idea of the redo. "It combines my two all-time favorite things, flesh-eating zombies and shopping," said Gunn, who is repped by UTA and Brillstein-Grey
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
This movie is the de-facto Mall Ninja training film.  I hope the gun shop in the mall is still in this remake...
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I always loved that movie.  I always had dreams of being 'stranded' in a mall all by myself and 5 or 6 beautiful ladies.   Oh, tons of guns too.

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I can imagine the scene with the people out in the woods shooting zombies as AR15.com members.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#5]
That movie is awesome. My friends and I always liked to watch movies like that, have beer, hard liquor, pizza, and laugh our asses off! [:D]

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think a remake could top this classic, but I sure would see it.[i] Dawn of the dead[/i] was beautifully campy, but had some  poinent social commentary as well. They really take jabs at the American culture. I don't think I've seen this movie without being under the influence of some type of drug! Ahhh...the good 'ole days.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I must have seen this movie fifteen times at the midnight show.  A classic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
With Dawn of the Dead being one of my favorite films, and fresh from seeing the unwatchable remake of Planet of the Apes, my advice is to leave well enough alone.

"The only person who could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it"!!!   [sniper]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can imagine the scene with the people out in the woods shooting zombies as AR15.com members.
View Quote
i volunter to act in that movie [:)]

that movie kicks so much ass
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top