Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 10:34:39 PM EDT
I figured I'd share my current project with you guys & gals.
Springfield Armory has started producing new, very high quality, forged M-1 Carbine receivers.
They can be bought at a really reasonable price of around $100-$120. Add in a parts kit priced beginning at $250 from a few diferent sources and the cost of having a gunsmith set the barrel and you have a really nice M-1 Carbine.
I know there are litterally millions of M-1 WWII surplus carbines as well as new carbines being produced by IAI but I just felt like building my own. Actually, I bought 2 receivers from SA and will be building up 2 carbines for myself (still waiting for the second parts kit to arrive).
This rifle in the picture isn't ready to shoot yet. I just got the parts kit friday and still have to have the barrel set in the receiver and I have to finish the stock and install the sight properly but I just couldn't resist putting it together to see she looks.
I spent a little more than the standard parts kit so I could get a still new in the original wrap Springfield Armory barrel made during the Korean War (people have been reporting better than excellent accuracy with these barrels).
Also spent extra for a new GI spec wood stock that still needs to be finished.
Hopefully if I can get it to the gunsmith in the next few days and taking into account his 3-4 week backlog I will be shooting this fine looking weapon in less than a month.
I'll do a repost then with a range report.

As a side note I will be picking up a Inland from my gunsmith that he just finished reparkerizing durnig the week. If anyone here hasn't yet shot an M-1 Carbine you are really missing a great shooting rifle. One that must be in everyones collection.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=182940&a=13596304&p=52603833&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=182940&a=13596304&p=52603834&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=182940&a=13596304&p=52603896&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Here's the links in case the pics don't show correctly:
[url]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=182940&a=13596304&p=52603833&Sequence=0&res=high[/url]

[url]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=182940&a=13596304&p=52603834&Sequence=0&res=high[/url]

[url]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=182940&a=13596304&p=52603896&Sequence=0&res=high[/url]

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
nice
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I love that GI look! Fucken excellent Mate! I used to own a Saginaw M1 Carbine. The M1 is a bewt, and has its place in history.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Another one of those things I have to get one day - [b]NICE![/b]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
where does one get a new SA carbine reciever ?
and arent they making new garand recievers also ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an M1 Carbine built using one of the early Springfield receivers and CMP parts.  The receiver fit and finish was outstanding.  The weapon itself looks great and shoots even better after a short break in period. If you're looking for a shooter M1 Carbine I can't think of a better way to go.  

I haven't seen the Springfield M1A receivers. If their quality is anywhere near as good as the SA Carbine receives I'll take a look at them the next time I have an M1A built.

Rocketman
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Where can you get quality carbine parts from, CMP? Any other place?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Are the new recivers any good? Or are they crap like the CAI recivers?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a follow up to my last post.

I called 2 gun stores in the area and here is what they had to say:

The one right in town is expecting prices to be published sometime in Sept or Oct. I asked for a ballpark on pricing for a Garand reciver and he thought maybe $750 to $850. Which is the same price as the regular GI recivers I find, but the price may change (hopefully down if they are mass produced!).

Supposedly they are being made to Mil-Spec. They are NOT suppoed to be crappy like the CAI recivers.  

The other store never heard of new recivers being issued from S.A.. And they are a rep!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As a side note I will be picking up a Inland from my gunsmith that he just finished reparkerizing durnig the week. If anyone here hasn't yet shot an M-1 Carbine you are really missing a great shooting rifle. One that must be in everyones collection.
View Quote

Here is my completely original, fully functional Inland.  This and the TBM are the only good things GM ever made.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/Ur/gu/lz/3z33487.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The one right in town is expecting prices to be published sometime in Sept or Oct. I asked for a ballpark on pricing for a Garand reciver and he thought maybe $750 to $850. Which is the same price as the regular GI recivers I find, but the price may change (hopefully down if they are mass produced!).
View Quote

WTF? You can get U.S.G.I. M-1 Garand receivers from the CMP for $350.00 in excellent condition. River Bank Arsenal has the new Springfield Armory M-1 carbine receivers on sale right now for $99.00.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

You would need your local FFL/Dealer to get one direct from Springfield Armory or through a distributor.

Where can you get quality carbine parts from, CMP? Any other place?
View Quote

There are several places listed in the Shot Gun News. I ordered one parts kit from Southeast Military Parts ([url]http://www.usgunparts.com[/url]) they arrived less than a week later. The parts were in excellent condition. I did however pay a little extra for sellect parts as well as an upgrade barrel and stock. I'm still waiting for the other parts kit to arrive.

Are the new recivers any good? Or are they crap like the CAI recivers?
View Quote

I have no experience with the IAI receivers so I cannot compare them but everything I've read about the SA receivers have been good so far. They are well thought of on the M-1 carbine discussion boards for building accurate dependable shooter M-1 Carbines.

I'm definitely going to pick up a copy of Kunhausen's shop manual for the M-1 Carbine the first chance I get.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

WTF? You can get U.S.G.I. M-1 Garand receivers from the CMP for $350.00 in excellent condition. River Bank Arsenal has the new Springfield Armory M-1 carbine receivers on sale right now for $99.00.
View Quote

Don't you have to be a member of the CMP to buy a reciver? Or can my gun shop just buy one for me?

I've called 6! gunstores in the area. Shitty GI Garand reciver: abt. $450. "Like New" GI Garand reciver: abt: $800 And one had a reciver that failed all safty checks and were selling it for "collectors" for $200

If you have to join the CMP, are there other ways of getting a new GI reciver?

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
and arent they making new garand recievers also ?
View Quote

I e-mailed springfield and they said that the receivers are in full production. I guess they will ship to FFL for you. They are also going to have full production (ready for sale) full rifles this fall. M1 Garands will be in full production and ready for sale in spring of 2002. They said you will have choices like the M1A after they rifle(Garand) is on the shelf for a while.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just a follow up to my last post.

I called 2 gun stores in the area and here is what they had to say:

Supposedly they are being made to Mil-Spec. They are NOT suppoed to be crappy like the CAI recivers.  

The other store never heard of new recivers being issued from S.A.. And they are a rep!
View Quote

$750-$850 for a garand receiver no way. You can get a USGI full gun by orion for 800-1000. In mint codition. I would not go with those price. CMP has receivers for 250 and gun parts corp in west hurley NY has receivers for 450. SA or IH or Winchester.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the rifles I was issued until the M16
shipments came in (1967) was the M2 Carbine.
I have a "Universal" right now that is basically new, but, have been looking at the USGI, Springfield and IAI. I called IAI and it seems they have none and are producing none.
Glad to here that Springfield is up and running, will probably get one and build it up. I see Receiver and Barrel, etc. attached for $375.00 at River Bank Armory.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]
where can I find out more about this Rock Island Arsenal? Do they ahve a site? I take it the are in Ill.?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Steve, if your talking about Riverbank Arsenal I don't know the link but go to WWW.Gunandknife.com  Scroll down to the forums section and check the posts for the last 5 days in the M-1 Carbine forum. Riverbank Arsenal posted about the Sale on Springfield carbine receivers and I believe they provided a link. I did a search for M-1 carbine and they came up. I keep it in my favorites. They also sell complete G.I. carbines for enormous sums.

Correction on the price. I just went back and checked. It was a quantity discount 5 for $95.00 each. If you want one they are $125.00. 20 for $85.00 each. Anyone for a group purchase?
It was posted on Gun and Knife on 8-3 at 11:07pm. Look for "Quantity discount...."
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Steve here is the link:  

[url]http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/home.html[/url]

Just ordered a butt plate and screw for my M1 from them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#21]
WWW.cdnninvestments.com has them 1 for $109.00 or 5 or more $99.00
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#22]
http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/home.html

Here's Riverbank Armory. They deal in M1 Garand and M1 Carbines. If I could get together the money I would purchase a mint condition USGI but will for now settle for a "quality" manufactured one. I believe the Springfield like IAI build there own receivers, barrels, stocks and use GI surplus parts in mint or new condition. Advise.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Do yourself a favor and visit the CMP web site.

You no longer have to shoot in a "garand qualifier" to purchase a weapon or receiver from the CMP. If you are active duty military or have been and can prove it with a DD-214 they will wave the shooting requirement.

You must be a member of a CMP affiliated club.  But you can do that by joining any one of several clubs that offer "associate memberships" for a nominal fee. (usually around $20.00)  Riverside Gun Club is an example of a CMP club with associate memberships.  Contact them thru Fred's in SGN.

Qualifing to purchase from the CMP is kinda like getting a C&R lic.  It's cheap, easier than you thought and once you do it you wonder why you waited so long.....

$800 for an aftermarket receiver that may or may not be up to spec or a USGI receiver for $250.  Damn.... even an old broke dick grunt like me can do that math.

Rocketman
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and visit the CMP web site.

You no longer have to shoot in a "garand qualifier" to purchase a weapon or receiver from the CMP. If you are active duty military or have been and can prove it with a DD-214 they will wave the shooting requirement.

You must be a member of a CMP affiliated club.  But you can do that by joining any one of several clubs that offer "associate memberships" for a nominal fee. (usually around $20.00)  Riverside Gun Club is an example of a CMP club with associate memberships.  Contact them thru Fred's in SGN.

Qualifing to purchase from the CMP is kinda like getting a C&R lic.  It's cheap, easier than you thought and once you do it you wonder why you waited so long.....

$800 for an aftermarket receiver that may or may not be up to spec or a USGI receiver for $250.  Damn.... even an old broke dick grunt like me can do that math.

Rocketman
View Quote

I joined the CMP guys about 4 years ago, get their emails (and drool), retired military but nearest gun club that is affliated with CMP is
70 miles away and for that reason never joined the club.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah , my dealer got 5 for $99 each, I bought 2 and he is building one for himself and I'm pretty sure he sold the other 2 already.

Just wanted to add that my next project is definately going to be a Garand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top