Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 6:18:43 PM EDT
We have a old Electric that has the exposed cooking coil things.  

Things we are looking for in a new range...

1.  We want a smooth top.  

2.  Would like to have the warming spot.

3. Largest oven we can get, or dreaming here the oven w/the small "cookie"oven on top.

What are options and cost range?

What are are the good brands?

What brands to avoid?

Thanks!!

EDIT:  Had to take the "d" out of Frige.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Your on his "list" now.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out Consumer Reports at your local library, they just did an extensive report on stoves.  They test several of those new kind of stove-tops that stays cool, pretty interesting reading.  Many people don't like the reports but you can at least get some info on what is available in the market place.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for the spidey picts that seem to just show up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
He won't see the spider pics.  Ya spelled his name wrong.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
He's here!

Waiting for the "D" rant.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
For putting the "D" in my name, I will now COOK your friggin spiders!!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Dr Fri(NO D)ge says:

I like Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool for the mid range budget... if money is no object, get a Dacor like this:

Frigidaire is making some REALLY nice stuff lately too... Although PLEASE do yourself a favor... Stay away from Maytag and GE... "Why?" you ask?

Glad you asked.. Customer service is NOT what it was. Customers of mine have been telling me that they are waiting 2 MONTHS for service from GE and 6 weeks from Maytag.

Dacor is a family owned business so they cannot afford to get a bad reputation and lose business. I was their technical advisor there and was amzed at the quality in their product.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
DAMN, I am really disappointed, I had high hopes for lots of SPIDER PICS when I opened this thread...

Gang, we be slippin........

DrFrige, be watchfull......Ya, I will spell your name right, but the rest, nope, gloves are off....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#11]
DrFrige:

Sorry about the "d", I will edit it out.

Thanks for the advice.

ETA: going with White not SS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
DrFrige:

Thanks for the advice.

No no no no, never ever apologize to him, never, we allmost have him broke in....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
tag.
Ironically I need a new range also.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I've noticed about Whirlpool, is if you use bleach to cleen the surface it turns parts yellow. The plastic around the ice maker, Oven front vent cover ect. I dont know if its just Whirlpool or not. I remodel over 80 kitchens a year and recommend Whirlpool for the money. If you can get a great deal on Kenmore its more than likely a Whirlpool. Service will screw you out of warranty though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]
what about this one

How about Kenmore?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DrFrige:

Thanks for the advice.

No no no no, never ever apologize to him, never, we allmost have him broke in....

Dont listen to him...  He has no friends because he picks his nose and eats his boogers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
what about this one

How about Kenmore?

They are good... Frigidaire makes good things now that they are owned by Electrolux... The only thing I dont care for... and this is just MY preference, to you it may not matter. The knobs are on the back and when you are cooking and have to stretch your arm over boiling of frying foods, it may burn ya.

As I said... just my two cents. As far as quality goes, they are much better than they used to be. Friend of mine has one and has had NO problems in the 4 years they have owned it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Dr Fri(NO D)ge says:

I like Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool for the mid range budget... if money is no object, get a Dacor like this:

ww1.dacor.com/images/products/370x293_MRE30.jpg

Frigidaire is making some REALLY nice stuff lately too... Although PLEASE do yourself a favor... Stay away from Maytag and GE... "Why?" you ask?

Glad you asked.. Customer service is NOT what it was. Customers of mine have been telling me that they are waiting 2 MONTHS for service from GE and 6 weeks from Maytag.

Dacor is a family owned business so they cannot afford to get a bad reputation and lose business. I was their technical advisor there and was amzed at the quality in their product.

Could you tell me quality of their dishwasher???????????????????????

Roy
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dr Fri(NO D)ge says:

ww1.dacor.com/images/products/370x293_MRE30.jpg

Could you tell me quality of their dishwasher???????????????????????

Roy

Their dishwasher had some problems for a while. If you were going with a high end dishwasher I would go with Bosch or Fisher & Paykel.

Why? Were you looking at the Dacor dishwasher?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DrFrige:

Thanks for the advice.

Dont listen to him...  He has no friends because he picks his nose and eats his boogers.

Best come back yet........
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DrFrige:

Thanks for the advice.

Dude!!! What the hell are you still doing up... GO TO BED ALREADY...

... Better question... What the hell am I STILL doing up. I'll see you guys tomorrow... G'night.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey Frige,

My electric oven + range is dead. I'd like a flat top (the warming thing is nice) with knobs. Knobs that are in front so I don't have to reach over the burners to reach them. Ok, that's just to please someone else who really doesn't like the completely electronic control sets for the oven. I'm not sure if you can even get modern electric ovens that don't use the little pad of LCD and pressure switches, so that probably isn't a big deal.

It's a 30" drop in but I can take out the little piece of wood and put pretty much anything in there.

Budget is around 600 tops.

Ideas? :p
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#23]
electric?!?!

may God have mercy on your soul
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DrFrige:

Thanks for the advice.

Dude!!! What the hell are you still doing up... GO TO BED ALREADY...

... Better question... What the hell am I STILL doing up. I'll see you guys tomorrow... G'night.

I was on my way to work....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We have a old Electric that has the exposed cooking coil things.  

Things we are looking for in a new range...

1.  We want a smooth top.  

2.  Would like to have the warming spot.

3. Largest oven we can get, or dreaming here the oven w/the small "cookie"oven on top.

What are options and cost range?

What are are the good brands?

What brands to avoid?

Thanks!!

EDIT:  Had to take the "d" out of Frige.

I got a good deal on a range at Sears. I bought the floor model, it was discontinued model, plus they had this free delivery promo so I got three deals on that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
electric?!?!

yep
GAS or go home.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Drfrige I have a question for you.
I want a 36 inch gas stove like we grew up with in the late 50's early 60's. I have seen them rebuilt on the net for way to much money. I am a former maintaince mech. trained in heating and A/C I also worked repairing commerical resturant equipment. How hard is it to get parts to bring the older stoves up to new specs. No I don't want spark ignitors, they require the power to be on and I prefer standing piolts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#28]
MjRowley,

There's a place that sells 'scratch and dent' and refurb stuff right next to my office, just south of Sky Harbor Int'l.  Most of it's in really good shape.  You can get a hella deal on it.  Drop me an IM if you want me to go over and see what they've got, or if you want directions.

I haven't bought anything, but my co-workers who have really like what they've gotten.  There's some really high end stuff in there with a little scratch that you'll never notice for CHEAP.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
electric?!?!

yep
GAS or go home.

And it works when the power is off.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Not if it has the electric ignitors. Thats why I want a older stove.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DrFrige:

Thanks for the advice.

C'mon, he's got something better than a friend -- he has Jimmy!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#32]

For what its worth, I used to have white appliances and range had a blue-gray speckled flat top and now I have back glossy appliance with stainless steel.  Smears and stuff show up much much more on on the latter than the former.

Basic white -- still the best in my book.  This is not an thing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

use a match.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Some of the newer stoves have safety valves that if power is lost to the ignitors the gas valve won't open. Thus a match is useless as there will be no gas.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
MjRowley,

There's a place that sells 'scratch and dent' and refurb stuff right next to my office, just south of Sky Harbor Int'l.  Most of it's in really good shape.  You can get a hella deal on it.  Drop me an IM if you want me to go over and see what they've got, or if you want directions.

I haven't bought anything, but my co-workers who have really like what they've gotten.  There's some really high end stuff in there with a little scratch that you'll never notice for CHEAP.

IM sent...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:43:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MjRowley,

IM sent...

Hey ASUsax?  I need to get a range soon, are you around?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

use a match.

Matches dont work when the powere is out...

IF you get a gas...make sure it has at least one "powerfull" burner.  my gas range SUCKS ASS at boiling water and really frying things- just cant put out the heat
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Drfrige I have a question for you.
I want a 36 inch gas stove like we grew up with in the late 50's early 60's. I have seen them rebuilt on the net for way to much money. I am a former maintaince mech. trained in heating and A/C I also worked repairing commerical resturant equipment. How hard is it to get parts to bring the older stoves up to new specs. No I don't want spark ignitors, they require the power to be on and I prefer standing piolts.

WE???

There is a place in L. A. called the Hollywood Stove Museum that can help with these. It is incredible at the value of those Wedgewood Holly's or Gaffers & Sattlers that you couldnt PAY someone to throw those away 15 years ago now, people pay top dollar for them... AND THEY WORK!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Hey Frige,

My electric oven + range is dead. I'd like a flat top (the warming thing is nice) with knobs. Knobs that are in front so I don't have to reach over the burners to reach them. Ok, that's just to please someone else who really doesn't like the completely electronic control sets for the oven. I'm not sure if you can even get modern electric ovens that don't use the little pad of LCD and pressure switches, so that probably isn't a big deal.

It's a 30" drop in but I can take out the little piece of wood and put pretty much anything in there.

Budget is around 600 tops.

Ideas? :p

I just got back from Lowe's and was pretty surprised at the choices there are out there. But what I did notice that other than GE there is not much out there... adn some of you know how I feel about GE...

If you can get by with a Whirlpool ir Frigidaire I would go for it
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Tag because I need a new range and dishwasher.

Kenmore sucks. They are good in that I can order repair parts online and I fix my own stuff, bad in that I'm always having to fix the damn things. Friggin stove has a fan in it to cool the digital display because they didn't have the sense to locate it further away from the burner and shield it better
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MjRowley,

IM sent...

Hey ASUsax?  I need to get a range soon, are you around?

Shit!  Forgot... Calling...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I was told today by a guy at HomeDept that Wirlpool is now owned by the same company that owns MayTag and GE.

I really wish that you liked Maytag as  Home Depot has the range we want and can afford.  Its a Admril www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=HD0000009633&cm_mmc=1hd.com2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D29X-_-HD0000009633&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode=12-4705181-2]Model # LER3330AAW

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I was told today by a guy at HomeDept that Wirlpool is now owned by the same company that owns MayTag and GE.

I really wish that you liked Maytag as  Home Depot has the range we want and can afford.  Its a Admril www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=HD0000009633&cm_mmc=1hd.com2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D29X-_-HD0000009633&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode=12-4705181-2]Model # LER3330AAW
[/ULRL]

If that was the case they would be the BIGGEST appliance manufacturer ever and I think the .gov would have gotten involved regarding some sort of Monopoly laws. I think the guy was full of it.

As far as the range goes, If you like it then you should buy it, As long as you know that they service (should you need it) is not as good as it should be. Ask 1shott how his Maytag service man is. He is NOT happy at all. If you can find a Whirlpool somehow, I think you will be better off.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#44]
OK i think I found it.  Turns out that we can get Appliances like this from work at a discount.  I work for a large home Builder here in PHX, AZ.

Whirlpool White-on-White: GR448LXPQ, $520.00 before tax ect.www.insideadvantage.com/inside/product.phtml?sku=GR448LXP
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#45]
DrFrige, what's your opinion of the induction ranges?

I want someting like the Dacor, in fact I'm going to look at one when I get a chance but the $3500 price tag is a little much. I want the flat glass cooktop and prefer no knobs, & I want a convection oven. Most important, I want the easiest possible range to clean, the least nooks & crannies. The wife is hell on the stove we have now, trashes the ceramic drip pans, I just buy new ones ever few months because she forgets to clean the boil overs and burns them to a crisp. Any other brand recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#46]
here ya go DrFrige

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top