Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/2/2006 3:29:39 PM EDT
Now I have seen everything............

www.davesdaily.com/out.php?id=10693&url=www.channelcincinnati.com/irresistible/5250889/detail.html

NEWARK, Del. -- Buying a woman's breast milk via the Internet may seem far-fetched, but it isn't an unusual transaction.

WBAL-TV in Baltimore discovered mothers selling their breast milk -- often for a hefty price. In many cases, transactions require only half of the payment up front, and some sellers even accept credit cards.

Some states ban such sales by law -- but not Maryland. The television station asked Amy and Brandon Redmond why they were selling breast milk.

"Some women can't produce breast milk, and I had a lot of excess," Amy Redmond said. "I thought it would be beneficial."

And then there's the money.

"I'm a physician assistant student, so when I'm in school, I really don't have any particular type of income," Brandon Redmond said.

Amy Redmond said she just sold her milk online for the first time. She expressed shock that she received, within hours, people interested in buying her milk.

Redmond described herself in her post on the auction Web site eBay as a healthy nonsmoker who's also alcohol- and drug-free.

But even she admitted there's no way for the buyer to know that for sure.

"I was very surprised because I thought, 'You don't know me; I don't know you.' It's kind of strange, but I guess you take the chance and hope the person (is honest about their health) because it's going to a baby," Amy Redmond said.

Officials at the Mother's Milk Bank at the Christiana Hospital in Newark, which is among the oldest of 10 such facilities in North America, explained the dangers.

"It's a very dangerous practice because you just don't know what's in that milk," said Donna More, of the Mother's Milk Bank.

More said a mother in need of breast milk for a legitimate reason can obtain breast milk from a milk bank as long as she has a prescription from her pediatrician.

I'm betting it isn't just other women buying this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:31:07 PM EDT
They should make cheese out of it and sell that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:31:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:33:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Nasty.

I don't mind the product itself, but it's got to be in the original container.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:48:50 PM EDT
My dad had to ask me to ask my wife for some...he is a Biochemist (she was nursing our first), and was looking to isolate an enzyme responsible for fat deposition in cells. He had identified it in Rat milk (you want interesting....try to milk a rat!!), and was a bit too embarassed to ask my Wife directly.

Once he worked on it (the initial research was very promising), he went to Germany to work with some collegues--in Germany, they have a breast milk bank.

Be a few years before any practical applications from the basic research--however, if you can identify the enzyme that causes fat deposition in cells, you can eventually block it!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:04:55 PM EDT

This is about the most ridiculously stupid thing I've heard. What about HIV and hepatitis???
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:07:11 PM EDT
Momma!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:08:03 PM EDT
She could make more money selling videos of the collection process.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:10:30 PM EDT
Where can I apply for a job as a teller at a "milk bank"?

"Sorry madam, we only accept direct deposits".
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:14:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GAcop:
She could make more money selling videos of the collection process.

For those of us who have seen the harvesting, I doubt you would pay to watch it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:22:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:

This is about the most ridiculously stupid thing I've heard. What about HIV and hepatitis???

I can hear it now, "HIV and hepatitis?? AWW SHIT!!"

I am sure they have not thought this through.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:25:45 PM EDT
Some weirdo would buy something like that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:25:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 4:27:52 PM EDT by NimmerMehr]
"She expressed shock"

tee-hee-hee

Edit

What about HIV and hepatitis???

I've heard milk being called white blood. I guess it might be a medium for HIV.
Top Top