Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 12:18:42 PM EDT
I loved that show - what happened?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss it too.

The show wasn't something that would stick around for a few years.
We were lucky to get 2 seasons out of them.

ETA: The Asian dude that won Battlebots is now working for Mythbusters.
Just thought i would add that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw on Mythbusters the other night.. .      I guess the guy who won one of the seasons or contests (sorry, I didn't watch it) or whatever, now works for mythbusters.  He does some of the prep stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Comedy Central didn't bring Battlebots back on for another season, and BB was VERY dependant on CC.

<---------Had a Middleweight contender ready to go. Ended up selling it off for parts.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
That was a good show, too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
too many rules ruined the game. Its good that its gone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
too many rules ruined the game. Its good that its gone.

+1.  I always thought that it would be a good idea to mount some NFA registered Ma Deuces on a bot, and then take all comers
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
This is funny, I was just asking my bro-in-law that question like 2 days ago.  Man, I sure miss that show.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Last I heard, there was a big dispute between the parties involved in "making it"/owning the name "Battlebots" and maybe even Robot War(s).

Everyone wanted it all for themselves, and so there were lawsuits & lawyers flying back and forth.

I do miss the show, & was going to build a bot to compete

I was even approached by more than a few co-workers & bosses about building a bot or two.

I hope it (or something like it) comes back around soon!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I was actually partial to "Robotica" which was on either TLC or Discovery...IIRC it was TLC but I ain't sure.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Matilda
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as I know BattleBots is still a competition, it's just not on the air anymore.  I had given some thought to building a bot, but the rule book was huge and the big contest is in CA, a few thousand miles from where I live.  I'd hate to spend a year building one, drive 3 or 4 days to get there and find out that I had violated some weird little rule.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like it was still active up to Sept 2005 .

Battle Bots
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought you said BattleTOADS

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Battle Bots ruined Robot Wars.

Comedy Central should burn for that one.

It used to be about destroying each other one-on-one, not this bullshit "playing around on an obstacle course with announcers and cheerleaders, and thugs playing dress-up" stuff.

Whatever you do, don't hope to be in the audience while they were filming it. I went to Robot Wars for four years before Comedy Central took over and turned it into Battle Bots, and BB was what made me stop going. It was terrible.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I loved that show - what happened?

The cast is now all working in Iraq..

Tremors Joins the Army
by Trent Telenko at December 31, 2005 07:20 PM

BOMBOTThose who have watched the Tremors series of sci-fi horror movies are going to love what the US Army is doing. In the second movie of the series, Tremors II: Aftershocks, the heroes used remote controlled toy trucks and tanks to distract the monsters away from the heroes.

According to James Dunnigan's Strategypage.com, Life is now imitating Art:

Toys Become BomBots

December 31, 2005: The latest bomb disposal robot is a modified remote control dump truck. Called a “BomBot,” the vehicle is equipped with a vidcam that can move independently, a custom control unit that can make the truck move more precisely and a longer range of operation. Basic drill for a BomBot it to approach (at speeds of up to 15 meters a second) a potential bomb, check it out via the vidcam, and then activate the rear part of the truck to dump a small, remote control, explosive next to the IED, and move away. The explosive is detonated, destroying the IED. The BomBots cost about $32,000 each (mostly for R&D and developing the custom components), and about 300 of them are being built for overseas service.

UPDATE: Defense Industry Daily has a fuller feature re: the whole BomBot story, and adds links to other coverage of the US military land robot projects. Further good news: Dunnigan's pricing may be high.

Printer-friendly Version | E-mail this to a friend!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top