Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I wake up during the night probably once or twice a night (that I can remember), but I have never been remotely short of breath while sleeping (although my mouth is usually pretty dry when I wake up). Does this sound like sleep apnea at all?

BTW, GoGop - for what it's worth, my uncle discovered about a year or two ago that he has sleep apnea. He wasn't getting any good sleep at night, so he went to the doctor and they told him what's wrong/gave him one of those machines. He says he really doesn't mind it any more (get real used to it) and his quality of sleep has increased dramatically.

Sleep apnea isn't quite like cancer - it *can* kill you, but fortunately it's really pretty easy to treat in most cases.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sleep apnea isn't quite like cancer - it *can* kill you, but fortunately it's really pretty easy to treat in most cases.

I used to have cancer too. I had my Prostate removed 10-22-04, and so far I'm still cancer-free.

(I think I should have been older before all this junk hit me. I'm 47).  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wake up during the night probably once or twice a night (that I can remember), but I have never been remotely short of breath while sleeping (although my mouth is usually pretty dry when I wake up). Does this sound like sleep apnea at all?

Sounds like you sleep with your mouth open, drys out your mouth and throat.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sometimes I wake up suddenly and it feels like I just got shocked by an electric fence, sometimes I can even hear it.  I think that's kind of messed up.

I get that too. You feel an electrical shock go through your whole body, your body convulses, and you are then wide awake thinking "What the heck???"

As to the original post, sounds like apnea. Get to a doctor and start loosing weight now. Untreated apnea can put enormous stress on your body and can eventually kill you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to have cancer too. I had my Prostate removed 10-22-04, and so far I'm still cancer-free.

(I think I should have been older before all this junk hit me. I'm 47).  

Wow, you've been through too much already!

On the bright side, if you do have sleep apnea, I imagine that it will seem unusually inconsequential to you given your previous experiences.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you sleep with your mouth open, drys out your mouth and throat.  

That's what I figured, I wouldn't have thought I have sleep apnea but for the fact that I wake up a lot in the night (albeit never with a shortness of breath).

The disturbing thing is that they say the average person who sleeps with their mouth open will unknowingly ingest roughly seven spiders in their lifetime. The spiders can sense the heat from our mouths and figure it will be a nice warm "cave" to hide out/dwell in. That just makes me shudder.

Come to think of it, there's a benefit to sleep apnea - the mask you wear will keep all those spiders out....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem, only my Dr. scheduled me for surgery.
They go into the back of your throat and remove about a half an inch of tissue all around your throat.
I can now say I do not have a Uvula.
This is a very painfull proceedure because it seems everything muscle wise clear down to your ass hole is hooked to the back of your throat.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had the same problem, only my Dr. scheduled me for surgery.
They go into the back of your throat and remove about a half an inch of tissue all around your throat.
I can now say I do not have a Uvula.
This is a very painfull proceedure because it seems everything muscle wise clear down to your ass hole is hooked to the back of your throat.

That sounded funny.

Ahem, I'm sure its all painfully true though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You guys are serious?

that shit happens often.

Serious?  Yes.  Sleep apnea can kill you.

Very serious. I've been on CPAP for 3 years now. I used to stop breathing 450+ times a night. I'd probably be dead before 50 if I hadn't gotten it taken care of.

I use the Remstar as well. But I have had good luck with the Breeze headgear -- pretty comfortable.

www.apneatherapy.com/index.php?cevent=products.detail&ProductID=178

How do you all deal with the exhaust hole blowing air on your bed partner? Do they now have you roll over to stop blowing on them, instead of getting you to stop snoring?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The doc wants to have my wife watch me sleep some, and see if I stop breathing while I sleep too. Then it'll be sleep study time. After asking me several questions he didn't seem too concerned, but we're seeing it through to make sure. He did mention the CPAP machine though, so maybe he's already thinking it will be needed.
 He also set up an appointment for me to see an ENT next week.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:20:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is crazy...I just realized for the first time last night that I was waking up catching my breath.  My, the things one can learn at ar15.com...

Gus  

Arfcom saves lives.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Funny... this happened twice lat night.
both times while I was awake reading a book.
The second time I was more aware of my breathing and i kinda noticed my breathing got real slow while reading.

breathing through my nose which was clear at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to the ENT today, and he ran a little scope through my nose and checked things out. He thinks my problem is being caused by reflux. I told him I rarely get heartburn anymore, since I'm taking the Zantac, but he said there could still be enough to cause swelling in my throat which could lead to the stopped breathing.

I have to alter my diet (again), and take another medication every day.  (Protonix).  After two months I go back to let him know how I'm doing, and if I'm still not breathing sometimes then they'll do a sleep study.

So apparently it's not a big deal, except that now I really can't eat most of things I like.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#13]
funny you should post this..

i had a sleep study done last night..

i now have to wear a CPAP while sleeping for the rest of my natural life..

or..

die..pretty much.

in a 4 hours period of sleep, i averaged 35 severe apneas an hour. the good folks at the sleep lab..acted guinely concerned..and said no mas..around 0330.
they said i had about the worst case of any person under 40 years of age in good health that they had seen.

after the CPAP was put on..
0 interruptions of sleep.

no going on the treatments would give me a higher likelyhood of early death by the following:

stroke..
anything to do with high blood pressure
heart attack..
suffocation..
car wreck..or accident.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Thursday morning I go for consultation regarding the possibility of sleep apnea surgery.  I've heard mixed reviews of the surgery, but if there's a chance I can eliminate the reliance on a CPAP for the rest of my life, I'm inclined to go for it.

ETA:  In 1972, my Dad died from a heart attack at the age of 54 and was said to have been a hell of a snorer.  I'm not interested in following in his footsteps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I do that all the time - just not when I'm going to sleep.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]
kill-9

everything i have read and all doc's ihave talked too ( i'm in the medical field) have told me that surgeries..ARE NOT as effective as the CPAP.

good luck..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Better ask around about the surgury. If your sleep apnea is relatively bad it will not cure it in most cases. Talk to a couple of people who have had it before you let them ream you out.

I ignored my apnea for a couple of years. It screwed me up pretty good. Now I have what they call a "stiff heart" which means it is too muscular from having to work so hard when I was asleep. It's really a form of congestive heart failure. I take a couple of heart meds and I'm only 50.

I HATE my fucking CPAP machine but I'm sure it saved my life.

Do NOT fuck with Sleep Apnea. It WILL kill your ass.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top