Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2006 3:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 3:01:12 PM EDT by metroplex]
I bought an extension bar set about 2 years ago since it was on sale. It was "made in USA" Craftsman forged stuff, not the cheap Taiwanese junk.

Well, I had a Craftsman toolset from about 15 years ago and compared the 1/2" extension bar with the one I bought 2 years ago. After repeated abuse, the 15 year old bar looked "new" except for scratches and marring from years of wear and tear. The 2 year old bar started FLAKING. Yes the chrome was FLAKING and PEELING off the bar! like a cheap applique.

Does anyone else have reports of poor quality with Sears hand tools in general?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:03:06 PM EDT
I buy Craftsman tools and equipment almost exclusively. Yes, it is getting cheaper.

Still a decent deal, though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:03:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I bought an extension bar set about 2 years ago since it was on sale. It was "made in USA" Craftsman forged stuff, not the cheap Taiwanese junk.

Well, I had a Craftsman toolset from about 15 years ago and compared the 1/2" extension bar with the one I bought 2 years ago. After repeated abuse, the 15 year old bar looked "new" except for scratches and marring from years of wear and tear. The 2 year old bar started FLAKING. Yes the chrome was FLAKING and PEELING off the bar! like a cheap applique.

Does anyone else have reports of poor quality with Sears hand tools in general?

no man... I love the stuff. Just take it back, get a new one for free.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:03:28 PM EDT
I have also noticed a nose dive in the quality of craftsman tools.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:04:28 PM EDT
I think the rachtets are junk,but they give me new ones with no questions asked,that is why i bought from them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:04:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AdamTheFarmer:

Me too.

Which is why I stick with Snap-On for my work tools.

Still own craftsman tools for my personal set though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:04:50 PM EDT
Hand tools are great....Their power tools leave a little to be desired though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:10:31 PM EDT

Smart guy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:11:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LS1Eddie:

Smart guy.

My favorite brand of hand tools is S-K.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:12:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Me too.

+1......
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:14:45 PM EDT
I'm a Skilled Trademan in a big factory. Craftsman is still big with all the guys because of the replacement guarantee. We aren't afraid to do stupid stuff like put big cheater bars on our ratchets or wrenches because if we happen to break it,we can get another with no problems. Craftsman hand tools are the way to go-for power tools, i'll stick with Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:16:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:21:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jeep44:
I'm a Skilled Trademan in a big factory. Craftsman is still big with all the guys because of the replacement guarantee. We aren't afraid to do stupid stuff like put big cheater bars on our ratchets or wrenches because if we happen to break it,we can get another with no problems. Craftsman hand tools are the way to go-for power tools, i'll stick with Milwaukee.

Just last night I was checking out 4.5" corded grinders. All the Craftsman models were made in China, as well as the Makita model.

The DeWalt and Milwaukee models were both made in Mexico.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:22:55 PM EDT
We need to buy USA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:24:34 PM EDT

Me too.

Snap-on(as I hear from my dad who is a mechanic) is getting extremely fucking out of hand with their prices and is in financial trouble.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:26:41 PM EDT
I only buy craftsman tools because I know you get replacements for life, only have to buy something once unless you lose it. Just a thought, but what do you think happens to the broken tools? My guess is that they are factory refurbished and sold again as new, which may explain why the finish is peeling, it isnt as new as it seems.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:28:45 PM EDT
I bought a 1/4 sheet palm sander last week. Craftsman Pro model was quite nice, price was decent at $35. Made in China. Porter Cable model was a little less aesthetically pleasing, but made in the USA. $50.

I bought the Porter Cable.

As for Craftsman hand tools, I haven't seen any decline in quality. But I haven't bought any new hand tools in 4 years or so. I've pretty much got a full Craftsman set, have yet to fail me. Broke one screwdriver, had it replaced. I do wish the 3/8 ratchet was a little bigger.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:31:51 PM EDT
Nobody's refurbishing the ones WE break-they are well and truly broken.

Too bad that even Milwaukee has to give up and head to Mexico- None of my Milwaukee power tools are mexican, so this must be a recent developement. I guess the US is just about ready for someone to stick a fork in.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:32:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:
I do wish the 3/8 ratchet was a little bigger.

Get the flex head ratchet. It's four inches longer. It's a must-have.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 3:38:48 PM EDT by Lakeguy]

Originally Posted By deej86:

Me too.

Snap-on(as I hear from my dad who is a mechanic) is getting extremely fucking out of hand with their prices and is in financial trouble.

Snap-on prices have always been up there. You get what you pay for. I rely on my tools for a living, Im gonna buy and use the best.. If something gets fucked up or breaks, snap-on replaces it. You also pay for the conveinance of them coming to you. I can count on him to be there the same time every week.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:37:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lakeguy:
You also pay for the convience of them coming to you. I can count on him to be there the same time every week.

Around here, if you go a few weeks or so without buying something, they don't bother with you anymore and getting them to come back is like trying to find a Unicorn in your glove box.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:38:03 PM EDT
I was working on a project one day at the steel yard (changing blades on a shear) where I snapped in half 3/4" drive extensions from SnapOn, Craftsman, Matco, and the generic ones from the local Runnings (like a farmer supply store).

You use enough tools in a serious manner, they break. All that really counts is the warranty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:38:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildlandFirefighter:
Hand tools are great....Their power tools leave a little to be desired though.

+1 if it has a cord, don't buy crapsman.

My brother is an auto mechanic, he only buys craftsman if it is a weird tool that he seldom uses.
A lifetime warrenty is worthless if you break the same tool 6 times a year.

When those auto adjusting channel locks came out a few years ago, I bought some thinking they would be great.
I rounded the teeth out of three pairs in less than a year. Sure they took them back when I brought them in, but what a pain in the butt. I finally just thru them away and bought a decent pair of regular channel locks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:43:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

Originally Posted By Lakeguy:
You also pay for the convience of them coming to you. I can count on him to be there the same time every week.

Around here, if you go a few weeks or so without buying something, they don't bother with you anymore and getting them to come back is like trying to find a Unicorn in your glove box.

sounds like the MAC guy that used to come by
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:43:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 3:48:32 PM EDT by Backstop]
Craftsman tape measures suck.

I returned 4 in one year, and asked for a refund. They would only give me a new tape - which I sold to my friend for $5. I went back to Stanley. Those last about a year. Another co-worker returned a tape week before last - the replacement tapes are now red, and still have that useless spring loaded bottom blade lock.

I'll use Craftsman open end wrenches, that's about it. Screwdrivers, needlenose, side cutters, linemans, etc I - and everybody else I work with - stick with Klein.

We've got a Stanley 3/8" and 1/2" ratchet set at work right now - think it say 'professional' or something - it's a pretty nice set.

EDIT:

Oh yeah - Crafstman slip-joint plier also suck. Had an Apprentice work with me for a bit with them - and I tried them for about an hour - YUK. I'll stick with my Channel Locks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:46:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Backstop:

I returned 4 in one year, and asked for a refund. They would only give me a new tape - which I sold to my friend for $5. I went back to Stanley. Those last about a year. Another co-worker returned a tape week before last - the replacement tapes are now red, and still have that useless spring loaded bottom blade lock.

Yes, the bottom blade-lock blows chunks, but the manual lock on the top model is fine.

They all go south if you get them wet and muddy. I know.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:52:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

Originally Posted By Backstop:

Yes, the bottom blade-lock blows chunks, but the manual lock on the top model is fine.

They all go south if you get them wet and muddy. I know.

Coupla years ago, I was working in a ditch running 4" PVC.

I had to take the truck to the trailer to get something or other, and my bucket with a few tools was in the way, so George the Digger Dude grabbed the can of PVC glue and threw it in the bucket - he thought the lid was on tight.

It wasn't.

Next day when my tape dried out, I banged, scrapped, etc all the glue off, and used it for another 'I don't know how long, but a while.'

When they first came out, they were pretty good tapes.

Even the top lock ones wore out on me - but I'm brutal on tapes - yes, I abuse them. The time it takes to be gentle I can use to be productive - it's a worthwhile exchange to me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:25:12 PM EDT
I like the warranty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:27:49 PM EDT
Warranty is tops, tools are decent - satisfied customer for many moons
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 5:06:39 PM EDT by KA3B]
Bad news about Milwaukee Electric Tool, it's now basically owned by The Home Depot.

Atlas Copco sold Milwaukee Electric Tool to China-based power equipment maker Techtronic Industries for $713 million in early 2005.

Techtronic Industries makes and markets Ryobi power tools and Ryobi and Homelite outdoor power equipment.

The company's OWT Industries makes Ridgid tools.

Ryobi and Ridgid products are sold exclusively at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:07:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 5:09:30 PM EDT by Merrell]
I try to avoid HD - crappy wood and crappy fasteners.

ETA: The head of HD is an ex-GE guy (and GE was one of the forerunners of "outsource everything" -most of the HD prices aren't that hot anyway, I'd prefer Lowe's over HD, but will stick with Sears for tools.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:11:50 PM EDT
I have a set of Crafsman screwdrivers I bought about 15 years ago, the clear plastic ones with the blue and red stripes.
The Husky screwdrivers I see at The Home Deopt are the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:13:12 PM EDT
Sears tool fine IF you don't use them everyday.If you do,taking back the broken ones all the time gets old.A few years ago,my local Sears stopped letting me just pick out a new tool to replace what I brought in.First,they checked their "special" box to see if they had it.All REFURBS!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:13:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:
I try to avoid HD - crappy wood

Geeze, some of the wood at the local home depot looks like hocky sticks or barrel planks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:14:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:
I have a set of Crafsman screwdrivers I bought about 15 years ago, the clear plastic ones with the blue and red stripes.
The Husky screwdrivers I see at The Home Deopt are the same thing.

Maybe not, I have seen ChiCom tools that looked great - until you used them and they would bend like pretzels or snap like a woman. (heh heh, just kidding the ladies)

Appearances can be deceiving, you do not know the steel used / tempering etc.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:23:52 PM EDT
Buffalo
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:35:55 PM EDT
For the most part American made stuff is as shitty as the china stuff. The dirtbags working in the factories nowadays have zero pride, lazy and are overpaid. Unions are partly to blame. Japan no longer wants to build cars here because they cant find people smart enough to work on an assembly line. They even tried pictures instead of words for instruction.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:37:07 PM EDT

Nobody's refurbishing the ones WE break-they are well and truly broken.

Too bad that even Milwaukee has to give up and head to Mexico- None of my Milwaukee power tools are mexican, so this must be a recent developement. I guess the US is just about ready for someone to stick a fork in.

No shit! Remember "back in the day" when MADE IN USA,stamped on a crate/tool/or anything,meant that you were buying the standard for the world,made by folks who stood behind what they made. Free trade's great for the(pick your fav offshore 3rd world nation),but what about us? What's next,foreign Harley's? Sorry for going off topic!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 5:38:42 PM EDT by FrankSquid]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:45:08 PM EDT
"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:51:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:
Bad news about Milwaukee Electric Tool, it's now basically owned by The Home Depot.

Atlas Copco sold Milwaukee Electric Tool to China-based power equipment maker Techtronic Industries for $713 million in early 2005.

Techtronic Industries makes and markets Ryobi power tools and Ryobi and Homelite outdoor power equipment.

The company's OWT Industries makes Ridgid tools.

Ryobi and Ridgid products are sold exclusively at Home Depot.

i was unaware of this. interesting and maybe unfortunate. i read and know that techtronic must sell a lot of products through home depot, but im not seeing the part where home depot is owning milwaukee or any aspect of techtronic??
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:51:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 5:53:38 PM EDT by kindstranger]
Craftsman hand tools are made by the Danaher Tool Group. Prior to the mid '90s, they were made by Stanley. (yep, it's the truth).

When Danaher took over production, there were some growing pains, but they have most of the kinks worked out. Some Craftsman Pro series hand tols are made by Whia (awesome), FACOM (awesome), Knipex (awesome).

My tool heirarchy looks something like this...

Snap-ON > Mac = MATCO = SK and FACOM = PROTO = Most Craftsman Pro tools > Craftsman > most everything else.

In other words, my every day tools are in the first two groups. If I use a tool only once a month, regular Craftsman will do the job. If I use it once a year and it's not critical, I might go no name.

I use Snap-On calibrated torque wrenches, but my lab has several Harbor Freight torque wrenches for non-critical applications which have proven themselves time and time again.

Our calibrator guy just shakes his head when he sees those cheap ass torque HF wrenches pass calibration every time! They are definately the Remington 788 of the tool world!

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:57:37 PM EDT
Excuse me,FatCobra-I'm one of those dirtbags that work in an American factory. Come in and help me hang 21' lengths of 2" pipe 20 feet in the air in 100 degree heat all day, or give me a hand down in an oil-filled pit changing a pump,with gunk pouring on you. All of the men I work with take a lot of pride in what we do,and I don't care to read crap from someone who has probably never set foot in an actual factory in his life. We do the best job we can,but we have NO say in what poor decisions the higher-ups make.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:59:05 PM EDT
My roll-away is well-stocked with Craftsman hand tools. This is mostly due to three things:

1. Availability: There's a Sears Essentials store four minutes from my house.

2. Price: I signed up for the Craftsman Club. Already competitive prices are even lower during special sales.

3. Warranty: Best in the business.

Every now and then I break a Craftsman socket or some other tool, and the warranty is pretty darn good. Yes, my favorite is S-K (my dad still has some very old "SK- Wayne" hand tools from the 60s), but finding a dealer is hard and the prices are somewhat higher than on Craftsman stuff.

For the work I do (light-to-moderate mechanic work on my own vehicles) Craftsman fits the bill nicely.

Oh, and the tools dept. in Sears is like a toy dept. to me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:10:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FatCobra:
For the most part American made stuff is as shitty as the china stuff. The dirtbags working in the factories nowadays have zero pride, lazy and are overpaid. Unions are partly to blame. Japan no longer wants to build cars here because they cant find people smart enough to work on an assembly line. They even tried pictures instead of words for instruction.

That's funny,I see lots of pride in all the factories I go to.(and as an LTL trucker,I see plenty). Japan no longer wants to build cars here? That's news to me,as Toyota is expanding it's Georgetown Ky plant,and building a new one near San Antonio TX.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:13:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FrankSquid:
Craftsman quality seem to be the same over the past 5 years...not the best but the absolute easiest warranty program in the world. NOBODY has a no receipt, walk in and we'll give you a new one, no questions asked policy! I wonder if that will change now that Sears is owned by Kmart.

About 2 years ago, the Sears' in San Antonio started requiring a receipt.

Heck, I even exchange my Kleins there - last trip about a year ago I swapped out my broken 3/8' nutdriver and pipe reamer - and I needed the receipt.

There's a fairly new place here in town called Tool Mart - better Klein prices than Sears and a lot friendlier. I bought a Rigid chain wrench there in Nov.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 6:20:20 PM EDT by Backstop]

Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
That's funny,I see lots of pride in all the factories I go to.(and as an LTL trucker,I see plenty). Japan no longer wants to build cars here? That's news to me,as Toyota is expanding it's Georgetown Ky plant,and building a new one near San Antonio TX.

I'm working there.

EDIT:

And as I've pointed out here twice before, Toyota's wages are comporable to UAW wages/benefits.

Toyota is just much more efficient at what they do - building cars.

Everymotherfuckingday some Japanese dude is taking pictures of what I'm doing. It's called quality control.

And you want to know something ironic? The Apprentice that has been helping me that last 3 weeks is a former UAW Chrysler employee from Detroit. He worked there 8 yrs, and got the boot. Now he's working in the plant of the company that helped take his job.

That's just plain fucked up.

He grew up about 3 blks from Tiger Stadium, and my cousin (Chrysler laid off emp) thinks he knows him. It's a small, cruel world.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:15:16 PM EDT

Excuse me,FatCobra-I'm one of those dirtbags that work in an American factory. Come in and help me hang 21' lengths of 2" pipe 20 feet in the air in 100 degree heat all day, or give me a hand down in an oil-filled pit changing a pump,with gunk pouring on you. All of the men I work with take a lot of pride in what we do,and I don't care to read crap from someone who has probably never set foot in an actual factory in his life. We do the best job we can,but we have NO say in what poor decisions the higher-ups make.

My point is that those types of jobs require VERY little skill and education. So thats what you get most of the time. I am quite sure your job is hard work and I am glad that you and your coworkers are the exception to the rule. Thank you for having pride in your work.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 6:18:50 PM EDT by Colt_SBR]
I have mostly Craftsman tools. Some other brands.

Mine are older Craftsman tools from the 70's, 80's and a few from the 90's.

<­BR>

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:24:47 PM EDT
My wife works at the Lake Orion GM plant. GM will ONLY hire college grads to work in any position-even the assembly line workers.They are VERY picky about who they hire. If you think there are jobs in there that just require someone to turn a screw or two,you really have no idea of what a modern factory is like. I don't make baseless assumptions about things I know nothing about,and neither should you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:28:14 PM EDT

If you don't like it, get another job.

I figure you'd rather have another Union guy say it to you in jest, than one of the resident clowns.

Backstop =

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top