Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/1/2006 12:11:58 PM EDT

First successful drop kick since 1941 in the NFL!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:14:04 PM EDT
Would have been nice to see him have a chance to beat Miami again....

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:07:01 PM EDT
I saw that on replay! I wondered how long it had been since the last one! Flutie is still one of the fastest players on the Pats despite his age.

I also wonder why more teams don't quick kick on 3rd down so as to have no return yardage at all???

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:07:50 PM EDT
Explain please.......
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:10:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

Considering he's only beaten them once in his whole overblown NFL "career" I doubt it would be that meaningful to anyone but he and Mrs Flutie. My best memory of Flutie was seeing him crushed beneath the bulk of Trace Armstrong in his playoff loss as a Bills QB to the Dolphins in Miami in 1998...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:17:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:

Considering he's only beaten them once in his whole overblown NFL "career" I doubt it would be that meaningful to anyone but he and Mrs Flutie. My best memory of Flutie was seeing him crushed beneath the bulk of Trace Armstrong in his playoff loss as a Bills QB to the Dolphins in Miami in 1998...

I was referring to the Orange Bowl Miracle 21 years ago....

BTW, there's nothing overblown about Flutie's career, collegiate, NFL, CFL or otherwise. He's been a winner everywhere he's played.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:22:57 PM EDT
Isn't he big in the gun haters crowd?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:23:10 PM EDT

I was referring to the Orange Bowl Miracle 21 years ago....

BTW, there's nothing overblown about Flutie's career, collegiate, NFL, CFL or otherwise. He's been a winner everywhere he's played.

Sorry, but that's not quite accurate. He was a winner in college and the Canadian football league, but he never won anything in the NFL. He made the playoffs only twice as a starter and lost in the first round each time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:39:52 PM EDT

Sorry, but that's not quite accurate. He was a winner in college and the Canadian football league, but he never won anything in the NFL. He made the playoffs only twice as a starter and lost in the first round each time.

.667 winning percentage as a starter in Buffalo.

The year Buffalo had it's best chance to go far into the playoffs, the coach benched Flutie (who was 10-5) for the last game of the regular season AND the first game of the playoffs. The much-heralded Rob Johnson was given the nod and Buffalo lost both games.

Flutie's record as an NFL starter is either 2nd or 3rd among active NFL QBs. I say either because the site I found the info at is from San Diego and is a year or two old (and it says he has the 2nd best record of all active QBs).

Whenever he's been given the chance, he's proven he's a quality quarterback...in any league.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:42:24 PM EDT
Gawd I feel like a dork, but what exactly is a drop-kick?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:43:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By the_great_snag:
Gawd I feel like a dork, but what exactly is a drop-kick?

When you drop the ball and kick it.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:43:24 PM EDT

Flutie's record as an NFL starter is either 2nd or 3rd among active NFL QBs.

Isn't that easier to do when you don't have that many NFL starts?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 2:57:06 PM EDT by Wobblin-Goblin]

Flutie's record as an NFL starter is either 2nd or 3rd among active NFL QBs.

Isn't that easier to do when you don't have that many NFL starts?

Again, I'm finding it difficult to locate precise stats, but I do know he played in 91 NFL games. Most of those 91 games were starts.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:57:36 PM EDT
Like they do when they punt, only with their own teammates as the intended receivers? I'm still not fully understanding how the play works or what its uses are...

Thanks for tolerating my ignorance...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:02:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 3:03:52 PM EDT by Researcher]
It is when you drop the ball and kick it after it touches the ground. If it goes through the uprights it is worth 1 point. I believe it can only be used after a TD for the extra point. I may be wrong about that though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:02:14 PM EDT
IF HE IS A GUN HATER HE IS EVIL.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:02:21 PM EDT

Like they do when they punt, only with their own teammates as the intended receivers? I'm still not fully understanding how the play works or what its uses are...

No, it was used for an extra point. They sent Flutie in to make the Dolphins think they were going for two, then Flutie drop-kicked the ball through the uprights for a 1 point conversion. It was incredibly pointless, as the odds of a regular place-kicked extra point being blocked are incredibly low. It was mostly done, near as I can figure, as a circus act stunt that showed little in the way of sense or class.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:04:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheKill:
Explain please.......

Doug Flutie, an NFL quaterback for the New England Patriots, took a football, droped it, let it bounce off the ground and kicked it through the goalposts for 1 point.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:04:54 PM EDT

No, it was used for an extra point. They sent Flutie in to make the Dolphins think they were going for two, then Flutie drop-kicked the ball through the uprights for a 1 point conversion. It was incredibly pointless, as the odds of a regular place-kicked extra point being blocked are incredibly low. It was mostly done, near as I can figure, as a circus act stunt that showed little in the way of sense or class.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:14:08 PM EDT
So could it have been that their planned 2 point play broke down and Flutie used his initiative and decided to try to get at least one point out of a blown play?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:25:56 PM EDT
I want to see that on highlights. Drop kicking is used a lot in Aussie rules football, but their ball is shaped more like a rugby ball, less pronounced points on the ends of the ball than a US football. Other than a stunt I don't understand the strategy of using it for a extra point.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:26:29 PM EDT
Sports
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:33:58 PM EDT
I'm waiting for the fair catch kick for 3 points...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:44:49 PM EDT
Flutie converts NFL's first drop kick since 1941
By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer
January 1, 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- For 21 years, Doug Flutie's career has been defined by one play. Now the "Hail Flutie" has its historic bookend.

The 43-year-old Patriots backup converted the NFL's first successful drop kick since 1941, making an extra point in the fourth quarter of the Miami Dolphins' mostly meaningless 28-26 victory Sunday over New England.

ADVERTISEMENT
"I think Doug deserves it," said usually dour Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who broke into a wide smile when his sprightly quarterback split the uprights off one bounce. "He is a guy that adds a lot to this game of football, has added a lot through his great career -- running, passing and now kicking.

"He's got a skill and we got a chance to let him use it, and I am happy for him. First time since '41," said Belichick, a football historian who last month brought out a leather helmet in his media session. "It might be 60 years again, too."

According to the Pro Football Hall of Fame web site, the league's last drop kick for points was on Dec. 21, 1941 -- two weeks after the bombing of Pearl Harbor -- when Ray "Scooter" McLean converted for the Chicago Bears to beat the New York Giants 37-9 in the NFL championship game.

"Flutie might have been there the last time it happened," placekicker Adam Vinatieri joked.

The ball was more round until 1934, making the bounce more predictable. And the rules were changed to require the kicker to be behind the line of scrimmage, relegating the drop kick to a riskier version of a place kick or extra point.

But when ESPN broadcaster Chris Berman mentioned to Belichick that he'd seen Flutie drop kick, the coach called his quarterback into his office and asked if he could do it.

"I said, 'I could do it,"' Flutie said. "'There's no real application for it, but I could do it."'

A native of nearby Natick, Flutie won the Heisman Trophy at Boston College after connecting with Gerard Phelan on a 48-yard touchdown pass to beat Miami as time expired. That is his signature play -- and one of the most memorable in college football history.

With the Patriots already happy with their playoff seeding, Tom Brady sat out most of the game so Matt Cassel, who's usually No. 3 behind Flutie, could get some snaps. He hit Tim Dwight for a 9-yard touchdown with 6:10 left, and Flutie came onto the field with the kicking unit.

"It sort of screwed me up," said Dolphins coach Nick Saban, who needed a timeout to get things straight. "I couldn't figure out what was going on. They had a quarterback in, four tight ends and a receiver and there was no kicker."

Flutie took his position for a regular shotgun snap, then retreated to the 12 yard-line to await the ball; he caught the ball, dropped it to the grass and kicked it off the short hop straight through the uprights. After getting a hug on the field by his teammates, Flutie ran off to embrace Belichick.

Even Saban appreciated the moment.

"I was kind of pleased to know that somebody can still drop kick," Saban said. "Man, when I was a kid we all practiced that. Thought it was a lost art.

"But," he added, "you know Flutie showed his age on that one."

The 1984 Heisman winner went into the USFL and the NFL, but only achieved stardom in the Canadian Football League, where he was a three-time Grey Cup champion and six-time Most Outstanding Player. He returned to the NFL in 1998 and played three years with Buffalo and four with San Diego before returning to New England for a second stint with the Patriots.

He hasn't said he will retire, but the impression that this is his final season was reinforced by Belichick's postgame valedictory.

"It's possible, but I'm not going to rule anything out," Flutie said. "But if that ends up being my last play, it wouldn't be bad."
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:00:37 PM EDT
What a class act!

If given a fair chance, he'll win the game for you. He will be missed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:00:39 PM EDT

I notice you don't have any sort of counterargument. There was no reason whatsoever to drop kick that extra point.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:05:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 4:07:52 PM EDT by squeezecockerp7m8]

I notice you don't have any sort of counterargument. There was no reason whatsoever to drop kick that extra point.

Flutie had practiced it, and it is legal...for all we know the kicker had a hang nail and Flutie got the call...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:10:30 PM EDT

Ummm. Why should I have to provide a counter-argument for something I had nothing to do with?

You think I coach for the Patriots or something?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:17:06 PM EDT
Cool.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 4:29:47 PM EDT by TrijiCog]
Doug Flutie was in the Special Forces,with Mr Rogers and Michael Landon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:29:44 PM EDT

How about making a typical NFL game at least fun to watch for a change?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:23:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AmericanPatriot1776:

That's the job of the rules comittee. The job of the coach and the players is to win, period.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:16:30 AM EDT

Sure there was...it was FUN!

Did you notice anything at all about that game? Brady only played a little bit of it, then they put in their third string QB to give him some action. Very little of their starting line-up was actually playing the last quarter. Why? Because Belichek had decided that their playoff position was pretty good whether they won or lost the game and it would be fun for the second and third string players to get some field time.

It's a game, it's about having fun. Remember that?

They weren't trying to win the game with that move, they were just doing something different and interesting to them. Having FUN!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:24:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 6:25:11 AM EDT by falaholic1]

That's the job of the rules comittee. The job of the coach and the players is to win, period.

They won, didn't they? Quit being a grumpy prick
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:25:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 6:33:38 AM EDT by icemanat95]

You are only sort of right.

As a game, the job of the players and coaches is to win, but also to entertain the audience at the game and at home. This is done by playing a hard and skillful game, and sometimes by doing the unexpected.

There is also the strategic job of positioning the team for the post season. Part of that is making certain your team goes into the playoffs healthy, happy and well rested. Wearing them out in a game that doesn't aid that strategic goal is bad strategy. Give your second and third string players a crack at it, let them have some fun and show the fans something different.

Seriously Rik, you are taking this way too seriously.

Of course what's really got to sting is that Miami came pretty close to losing against The Patriot's second and third string.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:31:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By falaholic1:

They won, didn't they? Quit being a grumpy prick

Well actually...no, New England lost.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:32:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By icemanat95:

Seriously Rik, you are taking this way too seriously.

Seriously, no, I am not.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:13:35 AM EDT

There was no reason to play that game. It was meaningless. So the NFL should have just told both teams to stay home. Period.

There's no appreciation for some of the finer art of playing football that's long ago been squeezed out of the game by all the "strategist" and "playmakers" that are in the game today.

So Flutie had the chance to show a little bit of athletic skill (think you could do it spiffy boy?) and enjoy it. I think if I have to suffer through a 2 minute display of whatever monkey dance everytime some two bit player actually scores, you can suffer through Fluties one time circus act.

Good thing I gave up on pro hood ball after the last strike way back in the '80s. Cold turkey and I thank the strikers every lovely Sunday afternoon when I'm out doing something else besides sitting by the tube watching overpaid coddled future most wanted players attempting to define 'football' these days.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:24:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By icemanat95:
Of course what's really got to sting is that Miami came pretty close to losing against The Patriot's second and third string.

Heheheh. For the better part of three quarters NE had almost no starters in the game.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:35:58 PM EDT
Typical...Most players only do well 'after' they leave 'Da Bears
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:42:45 PM EDT
any where to watch a video of it online?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:47:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 12:49:43 PM EDT by npd233]

You're speaking about class after doing nothing except criticize Flutie in this thread? Also, as you know, drop kicking the extra point provides the offense with one additional blocker, since a placeholder isnt' required.

Originally Posted By Ciph:
Typical...Most players only do well 'after' they leave 'Da Bears

Or Da Cubs...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:50:52 PM EDT

Just style points, when asked if he could do it Flutie said "There's no real application for it, but I could do it"

The game changed and there became no point in doing drop kicks.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:02:05 PM EDT
I wonder if this will be just an anomaly or if other teams may look at it and say: Hmmm. We get another blocker on the line AND if it's a quarterback doing the drop-kick (like Flutie), then we have the advantage if we want to go for two.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:08:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 6:43:33 PM EDT by BobCole]

The year Buffalo had it's best chance to go far into the playoffs, the coach benched Flutie (who was 10-5) for the last game of the regular season AND the first game of the playoffs. The much-heralded Rob Johnson was given the nod and Buffalo lost both games.

This was the game the Titans ran the kickoff back with the so-called "Music City Miracle". Johnson actually had a pretty good game against the Titans. That was the year the Titans went all the eay to the Super Bowl as well.

Flutie is still a helluva an athlete but only an "average" NFL QB. As long as he's been around, he should be considered the equal to the Earl Morral's, the Vince Evans' of the years. Remember, Shula yanked Morral for the Super Bowl for Griese depsite Griese missing the previous several games. I've never forgiven Shula for that as I thought Morral was a class act for his years with the Colts, backing up Johnny U.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:38:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Researcher:
It is when you drop the ball and kick it after it touches the ground. If it goes through the uprights it is worth 1 point. I believe it can only be used after a TD for the extra point. I may be wrong about that though.

No, you are indeed incorrect, IIRC? The drop kick from the field is the same as a held field goal: 3 pts. The 1 pt probably rings a bell for you as that's how they used to do extra point attempts. Seems like I remember Jim Turner, kicker for the Jets, doing some sort of drop kick????? That must have been a PAT.

Top Top