Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2005 8:17:42 PM EDT
What is the deal with people firing guns in the air on New Year's? Dont these tards realize they are creating a hazardous situation for others?

Oh well, atleast this year I'm not having to deal with them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:19:54 PM EDT
Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:20:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 8:40:55 PM EDT by copenhagen]
Two years ago on New Years Eve I had some asshole nailed my windshield with a .22 bullet. I was just driving down the road and somebody was sniping cars that night. Mini Van had the whole backglass blown out 45 minutes before my windshield got it. I had small pieces of glass on the inside of the windshield but it basically deflected the round.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:22:16 PM EDT
Unlawful discharge of a firearm.(this pertains to those who pop off rounds in the city)
i consider it dangerous and showing lack of firearm safety.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:22:30 PM EDT
Last year my neighbors and I bump fired into the berm out back at midnight. There was so much gunfire going off all over the area that it sounded like a war zone. Brought a smile to my face I tells ya. I guess once we get all those pesky guns banned you won't have to worry about it anymore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:24:17 PM EDT
I only shoot in the air when the black helicopters hover over my house.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:25:44 PM EDT
Idgits down over the hill just cranked off a bunch - older neighborhood with houses relatively close together, bad idea - ETA - call just came over the scanner with the address - good.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 8:27:32 PM EDT by Da_Bunny]
Into the air, stupid beyond understanding. Into a berm = fireworks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:26:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! the avatar!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:27:42 PM EDT
If I wanted to live in a third world shithole, I'd move there...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:27:59 PM EDT
The area I work has gain the nickname "The West Bank" due to the high volumes of gunfire that are encountered during holidays (and often during the average day of the week)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 8:59:13 PM EDT by Sukebe]
We have one in custody as I type. The unlucky idiot didn't see the cruiser coming down the street when he decided to step out into his yard and let a few fly.

He an idiot, he's drunk, he's unsafe with firearms and he's off to jail for New Years day.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:28:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:

Pretty much my feelings. I don't really reccomend it, but if you are going to do it, be as safe about it as possible.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:29:18 PM EDT
while yelling [silly arab tongue flailing]la,la,la,la,la,la,la[silly arab tongue flailing]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:30:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GIDDS-45:
while yelling [silly arab tongue flailing]la,la,la,la,la,la,la[silly arab tongue flailing]

- how about "durka, durka, durka"?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:30:51 PM EDT
Damn that Newton and his gravity. Too bad the idiots just don't get the whole "what goes up must come down" thing. If ya just GOT to do it, and I mean it's just a damn moral imperative or some stupid shit, at least shoot into the ground or a berm or into a ditch. I just love the whizzing sound of unexpected rounds passing by.

Woody
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:32:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

Wait.
Baltimore or Bagdhad?

Seriously, Baltimore has a huge problem with people shooting into the air, or at least they used to.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:33:02 PM EDT
Take a muzzle loader, double powder it and then put in 2 patches.

Sounds like a cannon going off.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:34:21 PM EDT
East side of Greensboro, NC sounds like WWIII. Spent New Year's eve there two years in a row.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:36:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:15 PM EDT
Is it legal to fire blanks?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:43:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:43:49 PM EDT
I live in Philly and every year a bunch of people get arrested for shooting their guns in the air, a couple of years ago a young boy was hit in the head and now has brain damage. The Philly PD are very serious about it they even have a radio spot saying not to do it and that they will be listening for gun fire.

If it can be done in a safe manner I'm fine with it but idiots who just fire up in the air are complete assholes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:44:28 PM EDT
I ain't got a problem with doing it where I live because I live practically out in the middle of nowhere and I'm surrounded by woods and fields (literally) on all sides. When my rounds finally come down all they'll do is dig themselves into the dirt somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:44:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

Originally Posted By GIDDS-45:

- how about "durka, durka, durka"?

NCPatrolAr......are you from durkadurkastan, NC?

I'm in KVegas and the neighbors are shooting off about 3 mortar (sp?) rounds a minute since the magic hour.....

Need to add to the poll......"I prefer to shoot horizontally instead of vertically"....

Let me know if you ever want to head up to RCGC (Reidsville).....

Happy New Year
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:50:39 PM EDT
Please put " Are Mexican" in this poll.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:54:23 PM EDT
Neighbors did it, I was gonna go outside with the mag of blanks, but Id get busted as the "ringleader"
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:55:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:
Neighbors did it, I was gonna go outside with the mag of blanks, but Id get busted as the "ringleader"

Once the cops saw the stack of ammo cans, you're probably right.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:59:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

Once the cops saw the stack of ammo cans, you're probably right.

Then he just has to show them his stash of snack food and they will be his new best friends.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:59:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
We have one in custody as I type. The unlucky idiot didn't see the cruiser coming down the street when he decided to step out into his yard and let a few fly.

He an idiot, he's drunk, he's unsafe with firearms and he's off to jail for New Years day.

Update. Idiot has a CCW permit as well. Will probably get revoked.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:00:29 PM EDT
My neighbor doing it is some kind of a cop
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:00:54 PM EDT

Gwinnett County is becoming a 3rd world shit hole. Am I in Ciudad Juarez? WTF
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 9:02:53 PM EDT by red65]

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:

I strongly disagree.

A firearm is not a noisemaker or a toy.

I hate to sound like your grandma shaking her finger, but if you want fireworks, buy fireworks.

If you want noise, buy A blank pistol.

It's a bad frame of mind to get into, to do something like shooting in the dark.

Firearm safety should be an absolute unbreakable law.

Be a real shame to have an accident when you are doing some dizzy thing like making noise on new year's.

You going to claim no drinking was done prior to midnight?

Can you control the range conditions in the dark?

The whole idea stinks.

If you think I'm being a "stick in the mud", well, you probably shouldn't own any firearms until you grow up a little.

THEY'RE CALLED FIRECRACKERS. GIVE EM A TRY.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 9:10:08 PM EDT by red65]

Originally Posted By ElevenO:
I ain't got a problem with doing it where I live because I live practically out in the middle of nowhere and I'm surrounded by woods and fields (literally) on all sides. When my rounds finally come down all they'll do is dig themselves into the dirt somewhere.

You hope.

I don't get it. Why do this foolish thing? It's bad business all around.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:08:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 9:09:19 PM EDT by red65]

OUTSTANDING!

I hope the jerkoff goes to jail. What if he fired a round thru a window and killed a little kid or something?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:11:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By red65:

OUTSTANDING!

I hope the jerkoff goes to jail. What if he fired a round thru a window and killed a little kid or something?

He's in the paddy wagon on his way to the county right now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:30:13 PM EDT
Live outside a city of 65,000 and it sounded like a GD Baghdad Wedding ! I'm sitting inside, with headphones on, and the noise made me go outside for a look. For about 15 minutes staight. Then, I get ready to go inside and a bullet fucking wizzes by. JHC that was close. I watched Band of Brothers all day. I know what a round fired at you sounds like. I'm inside know. This gets me to thinking- we need a "No Gunfire on New Year's Eve" public service announcement. These ASSHATS make all responsible gun owner look like SHIT. Wayne, "Can you hear me now?" Spend some of our dues on ending this turd-world tradition. Just my 2 cents. Good night.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:43:11 PM EDT
Stupid and careless.

Though for the record, a bullet fired directly 90 degrees into the air is harmless. At least if it's .30 cal or smaller.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:48:20 PM EDT
NAM- Is that the truth or just an urban legend? I never took physics. A quick google search produced this link from the LAPD-

http://www.lapdonline.org/bldg_safer_comms/holiday_safety_tips/new_years_gunfire.htm

If someone could make it hot I would appreciate it. I really don't know what the truth is, but it seems to me that "what goes up must come down". Or maybe I'm just a simpleton with a law degree.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:05:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rugerp345:
...snip... I watched Band of Brothers all day. I know what a round fired at you sounds like. I'm inside know.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:31:56 PM EDT
Well, someone needs to explain that if you MUST celebrate new-years with gunfire, USE BLANKS
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:02:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 3:04:53 AM EDT by NAM]

NAM- Is that the truth or just an urban legend? I never took physics. A quick google search produced this link from the LAPD-

http://www.lapdonline.org/bldg_safer_comms/holiday_safety_tips/new_years_gunfire.htm

If someone could make it hot I would appreciate it. I really don't know what the truth is, but it seems to me that "what goes up must come down". Or maybe I'm just a simpleton with a law degree.

100% true. Only, if fired at 90 degrees though.

I did some looking online, and actaully had a thread on it here. archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=339704

Basically, bullet goes up. Once it reaches the apex of it's flight, gravity takes over. Terminal velocity of most small arms bullets is nowhere near fast enough to do any serious damage. Terminal velocities range from 134 f/s for a tumbling .22 Short to a high of 323 f/s for the 180gr .30-06. That's paintball velocity. Will it hurt, or leave a bruise? most likely. Will it kill you? very very unlikely.

See also: www.loadammo.com/Topics/March01.htm
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:38:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By red65:

OUTSTANDING!

He's in the paddy wagon on his way to the county right now.

Good for you. Jack his ass up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:05:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By XM-15:
Take a muzzle loader, double powder it and then put in 2 patches.

Sounds like a cannon going off.

why would I want to imitate a cannon?

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:02:40 AM EDT
Anyone read that story about the soldier home from Iraq who got drunk and decided to pop off some rounds in NEW YORK CITY? Happened just a few days ago. The guy killed some poor woman standing in her window. 28 year old mother of two. So tragic and so very stupid.

By COREY KILGANNON
Published: December 31, 2005

The Army private accused of killing a Queens woman with a stray bullet from a gun he fired into the air was arraigned yesterday on manslaughter and weapons charges.

The arraignment of the private, Daniel Carpio, came on the same day as an emotional funeral for the woman, Selina Akther, 28, where angry mourners said that the private purposely shot her because she was a Muslim and that the killing should be prosecuted as a hate crime. Prosecutors and the police dismissed that claim.

The shooting occurred on Wednesday, the day after Private Carpio, 23, arrived home on holiday leave from Fort Hood, Tex. That night, after drinking some vodka and two 40-ounce beers, prosecutors say, the private began walking around his neighborhood with a 9-millimeter pistol that he bought illegally two years ago. About 11:15 p.m., he met some friends on 85th Road, and during a boisterous conversation, he shot the gun into the air several times, according to prosecutors with the Queens district attorney, Richard A. Brown.

One of the bullets pierced the window of Ms. Akther's fifth-floor apartment and struck her in the eye, the authorities said. When her husband, Golam Maola, came out of the bathroom several minutes later, he found his wife dead on the floor.

Private Carpio was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court in Kew Gardens on charges of second-degree manslaughter, criminal possession of a weapon and tampering with physical evidence and was held in bail of $300,000, which by last night his family had not posted.

Afterward, Samantha Seda, a Legal Aid lawyer representing Mr. Carpio, said about the case, "It's just unbelievable," but refused to comment further.

Though Private Carpio grew up two blocks from Ms. Akther's home, he did not know her or her family, friends said. The morning after the shooting, he awoke and saw the news of Ms. Akther's death on the television and decided to turn himself in at a nearby police station, the authorities said. He told detectives he had intended to shoot at the sky, not toward buildings or people, and called it, in retrospect, a "stupid thing" and expressed remorse. He discarded the gun while fleeing the scene on 143rd Street, prosecutors said.

But yesterday, as hundreds attended the funeral service for Ms. Akther, a Bengali immigrant, at the Jamaica Muslim Center, relatives disputed that account. "This was a hate crime," said Jafor Mita, 38, a cousin of Mr. Maola's. "This person was a member of the Army at war against Muslims. When a Muslim-looking woman came to the window, he shot her. This cannot be a mistake. He was a professional soldier. He knew how to shoot."

Mr. Maola, who attended the service with his daughter, Tanas, 10, and his son, Tasin, 6, nodded and blinked away tears.

"I want only for justice," he said.

Ms. Akther's body lay in an unfinished wood box bearing her name scrawled in black from a marker pen, along with the words "Islamic Burial Shipping Svc." and the address in Chittagong, Bangladesh, where the body was to be shipped. The coffin was put outside in a small lot behind the mosque, her body facing east toward Mecca.

Link

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:06:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:19:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NAM:

100% true. Only, if fired at 90 degrees though.

I did some looking online, and actaully had a thread on it here. archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=339704

Basically, bullet goes up. Once it reaches the apex of it's flight, gravity takes over. Terminal velocity of most small arms bullets is nowhere near fast enough to do any serious damage. Terminal velocities range from 134 f/s for a tumbling .22 Short to a high of 323 f/s for the 180gr .30-06. That's paintball velocity. Will it hurt, or leave a bruise? most likely. Will it kill you? very very unlikely.

See also: www.loadammo.com/Topics/March01.htm

I dont care how "safe" it theoretically is...it is still a dumb idea...too many things could go wrong..
Once the bullet leaves the barrel, you can't take it back...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:24:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:
Ms. Akther's body lay in an unfinished wood box bearing her name scrawled in black from a marker pen, along with the words "Islamic Burial Shipping Svc." and the address in Chittagong, Bangladesh, where the body was to be shipped. The coffin was put outside in a small lot behind the mosque, her body facing east toward Mecca.

Link

Can't muslims be buried in the U.S.?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:27:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pv74:

I dont care how "safe" it theoretically is...it is still a dumb idea...too many things could go wrong..

from my earlier post:

"Stupid and careless.

Though for the record, a bullet fired directly 90 degrees into the air is harmless. At least if it's .30 cal or smaller."
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:35:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pv74:

It's not 'theoretically' safe, it's a fact. If a bullet less than .30cal is shot at 90 degrees its terminal velocity when falling back down is not enough to break the scalp. The 'dumb' part is that (I'm guessing) 95%+ of the people trying to shoot straight up are in fact shooting at an angle and are drunk.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:37:57 AM EDT
There was an incident here in Orlando last year, Ithink it was on New Years Eve. Some dumb ass was shooting into the air with a rifle and a round came down blocks away and killed someone. Neighbors had reported him for discharging the firearm and the police came and confiscated the weapon. The other end of the event had not been reported yet so they did not make the connection that night.

A few days later they ran ballistics on the confiscated rifle and bingo they had the shooter. Sad story for people celebrating and having a good time. Booze and guns do not go together.

Swamprat51
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top