Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/31/2005 5:38:58 PM EDT
I'll be going to the Detroit Auto Show this year, and might venture over to Windsor, CANADA after. There have been rumors that a passport will be required in 2006? True or not?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:41:20 PM EDT
Not...

I think...

That if you enter Canada from elseware (not the US) then you need a passport. US Citizens from the USA just need voter reg card or whatever you've used for years...

????
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:43:14 PM EDT
Yep, that's the plan as of right now, a passport will be required for Canada. Merchants along the border are screaming over this and the assumed loss of business from the pain in a butt it will become
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:46:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:
Yep, that's the plan as of right now, a passport will be required for Canada. Merchants along the border are screaming over this and the assumed loss of business from the pain in a butt it will become

Plan for 1/1/06?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:47:14 PM EDT
I have heard it both ways. I live just north of detroit, and had a duzie of a time when I crossed last.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 5:49:02 PM EDT by rcoers]

Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
I have heard it both ways. I live just north of detroit, and had a duzie of a time when I crossed last.

I had that experience a couple of years ago. Canadian border guy was none too happy that we only had driver's licenses.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:48:52 PM EDT
I'd thought both countries had passed similar measures a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:51:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

I went Thanksgiving.

Osama lookin, Seattle Drivers Lic., Rental car from Ohio with New Jersey Plates.

I handed over my Birth Cert., Drivers Lic & rental Agreement, two seconds going to Canada.

Caught hell coming back. If it wasnt for the super secret something or another, I think I may have been detained.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:52:45 PM EDT
If I reading this correctly, a passport won't be required until 2007.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:58:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rcoers:
If I reading this correctly, a passport won't be required until 2007.

If that is correct, then I believe that you are correct.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:00:56 PM EDT
Passports to go to Canada, and still no fucking southern fence.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 6:56:17 PM EDT by migradog]

I'll be going to the Detroit Auto Show this year, and might venture over to Windsor, CANADA after. There have been rumors that a passport will be required in 2006? True or not?

You will need a passport in 2007.

To cross back from Canada after the show, please have proof of US Citizenship.
This would be a:

US Passport
Copy of your Birth Certificate w/Photo ID like a driver's license
Copy of you Naturalization Certificate.

If you fail to have proof of your US Citizenship, you may be held up in secondary until you citizenship can be determined.
A driver's license or state ID card is not proof of citizenship.
Proof of citizenship falls to the traveler, It's not the border officer's job.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:02:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By migradog:

You will need a passport in 2007.

To cross back from Canada after the show, please have proof of US Citizenship.
This would be a:

US Passport
Copy of your Birth Certificate w/Photo ID like a driver's license
Copy of you Naturalization Certificate.

If you fail to have proof of your US Citizenship, you may be held up in secondary until you citizenship can be determined.
A driver's license or state ID card is not proof of citizenship.
Proof of citizenship falls to the traveler, It's not the border officer's job.

I plan on making everyone prepare for this. Seems pretty silly to require this crap considering they let millions cross the southern border illegaly every year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:18:27 PM EDT
Yes, confirming the 2007 date. I went to Canada to deer hunt this year and that's what I was told at the border crossing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:35:44 PM EDT
Yes, you will need a Pass Port in 07 and that will be fine, I have spent way too much time and money in Canada and the Lower 48.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:37:16 PM EDT

+1

I think it's BS but whatever Homeland Security wants I guess.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:38:10 PM EDT

Plan for 1/1/07?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:41:16 PM EDT
I didn't need one in late 2004, it was 3 guys in a beat up car at like 12:00 am, the border guard barely even payed us any mind at all.
Top Top