Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 1:56:10 PM EDT

I put "broke into" in quotes, since it's possible (actually, quite likely) that my wife didn't lock the car doors.  Normally I drive my car, but I fucked up my back last week, so she's been driving - and probably forget to lock the doors, since the locking thing on the remote is opposite from the way it works on her car.    

Anyhoo, we come out to the car - parked on the street in front of the house - and notice that some papers and CD's are strewn around inside, and the ashtray has been torn out of its bracket.  I keep a few dollar bills for toll roads or whatever in the ashtray, and well as some quarters for parking meters in the change drawer underneath the ashtray.

So the idiot took three bucks from my ashtray, and 75 cents from my change slot - but left my $50 sunglasses, new disposable camera, CD container, coat, hat - all lying out and visible in the front seats - as well as all kinds of cool stuff in the back (it's a station-wagon), including a bag with a glock knife, trenching tool, maglite, poncho, etc.

Dumbass.  

I'm pleased that the asshole only took $3.75 from my car, but astonished that he wouln't just have grabbed everything in sight while he was inside.  I mean, if someone had seen him, and called the police (Or dare I dream it - drawn down on him ) he would have been just as arrested for stealing my $3.75 as he would have for my sunglasses, right?

Anyone had that happen to them?

For the record, our house in Nashville is in a pretty nice part of town - in the Hillsboro-West End neighborhood, less than a mile from Vanderbilt's campus.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
A buddy of mine stole some pop-tarts out of my car in the late 90s. I never saw them again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Its nice to benifit from some one elses stupidity.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Something similar to that happened to my exwife a few years ago.
She called me at work to tell me that my car got broken into. They took the change out of her change purse but didn't look in the ashtray where she had stashed her week's pay. They also took her two backpacks full of college textbooks that were worth about $900, but they dumped them into a neighbor's yard while looking for  other stuff.  We were able to recover all of it, it was just a PITA...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I am coming back for the rest of the stuff later, just couldnt carry all that cool equipment at once. Please in the future leave a duffle in the car will ya?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am coming back for the rest of the stuff later, just couldnt carry all that cool equipment at once. Please in the future leave a duffle in the car will ya?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Are the wooden shoes still there?    

Sorry about the incident though.  Hate thieves.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
last week they broke into my 71 Z28 Camaro tore up the dash broke the door lock broke my 100 buck stereo but couldn't figure out how to steal it  IDIOTS!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet it was small kids. They would know what change is, but wouldn't recognize that other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A buddy of mine stole some pop-tarts out of my car in the late 90s. I never saw them again.

Years ago, I was utterly fucked up in the passenger seat of a friend's car.  I wanted a spot to put my beer so I threw the big ass Hardee's "Moose" cup he had in his cupholder out the window to make room for it.

I found out the next day that he had been putting quarters into that cup for over a year, and that it was almost completely full of money!  

We never did find it, but I figure some lucky kid on a bike fondly remembers finding it, to this day.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
2 years ago some idiot entered my car  (in my driveway) took my wifes brand new canon 35 mm camera out of the glove box and replaced it with a broken walkman. He or they were kind enough to leave the headset attached to it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Years ago, my dad was on the road for some business meetings and heard a ruckus outside his hotel room. He went to investigate, and found some asshole with his hand through the side window
of my dad's extended cab Chevy. His arm was stuck cause he was trying to pull out a bag that was too big to fit through the window! My dad said "hey asshole" and leveled his .357 S&W (his then carry gun of choice) at this moron. The guy dropped the bag and jerked his arm out, ripping it open on the busted glass, took one look down the barrel of that cannon and took off running. Dad just called the cops and they found the guy a little later at the hospital getting his arm checked out.
Best thing is, the bag the guy was trying to steal was my dad's dirty laundry! HAHA!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad and stepmom both had convertible softtops a couple years ago. Twice, my dad had someone stab a hole in the roof and try to reach the handle to unlock it, but they didn't. Theif gets jack squat, dad spends $700 on a new roof. They did the same thing to my stepmom's car, but she just duct-taped it up. Someone reopened it later, and she ducttaped it again to have it reopened again. She wasn't too bright.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Same thing happened to me a few years ago.  I was a moron and forgot to lock the doors.  Crackheads took some loose change, and rummaged through my tapes.  I guess my taste in music isn't in line with the average crackhead, though...

He left the electronic tollway pass, Buck folding knife, and other assorted goodies behind.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Same thing happened to me a few years ago.  I was a moron and forgot to lock the doors.  Crackheads took some loose change, and rummaged through my tapes.  I guess my taste in music isn't in line with the average crackhead, though...

He left the electronic tollway pass, Buck folding knife, and other assorted goodies behind.

Younger brother of my roommate had his Mustang "broken into" (IIRC he forgot to lock the doors also)...they took the misc change in the ashtray, rummaged thru his CDs/tapes & stole his fresh pack of cigs & lighter.......& totally ignored the $$$$$$$ in tools in the back (he was a roofer, had an air compressor, nail gun, etc).  Dumbassed kids most likely.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If he ate them it is probably a good thing you didn't see them again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he ate them it is probably a good thing you didn't see them again.

Good point.  His friend could have given them back to him when he was done with them.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Back in the mid-90s I had by 89 K-Blazer broken into while I was out fishing at West Point.  It had all kinds of fishing related stickers and crap all over it, use to fish tournaments a lot.  Anyway, along with all the fishing related equipment inside and my Colt King Cobra in the center console, all the thieves took was 1 12oz coke from an unopened 12 pack.  The rifled through everything including handling the pistol but the coke was all they took.  Don't know what they were looking for.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's the irony - all the visible stuff, like the shades, the CD's, the clothes, the camera, was left in the car, and the change that was stolen was "hidden" in the ashtray.  

Although I just realized (and just went outside and verified it) that the bastard also took my cheapo Sam's club mini-light from the glove box.  One of those two-for-$20 little tactical lights.

Asshole.  Now I'm out $13.75 !  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a car, but when I was little, were moving.  We had moved some stuff into our new house, but hadn't moved in yet.  Somebody broke in, took all my dad's tools, and the ammo for his rifle.  They left the rifle.  Also they had removed a small tv from a box and left it, but took my sisters hat that was in the box.  Maybe with the tool boxes they didn't have room for the tv.  I still don't get taking the ammo, but not the gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

lmao
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

For the record, our house in Nashville is in a pretty nice part of town - in the Hillsboro-West End neighborhood, less than a mile from Vanderbilt's campus.

Ah yes... the "nice" part of town.... like I've always said... the criminals never travel to the nice areas to steal... they stay in the 'hood and steal from each other.

Seriously, doesn't sound like it was a real "thief" looking for stuff... else he would have at least grabbed the easy carry stuff like the bag and camera.  Most likely just a "opportunity" for a kid or deviant minded individual.

Like they say, a cheap lock keeps the honest honest. If it's unlocked, someone probably just took money which they wouldn't have if it had been locked.  I work for a locksmith opening cars for people who lock themselves out.  I do it with tools designed to open the car without damage.  Whenever I am having difficulty with certain models, and the customer says "at least my car isn't easy to steal", my standard response is "I'm trying to get you in, If I was going to steal it, I'd break a window."

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#23]
The house my friend was staying in during school was broken into over Thanksgiving break, while they were all gone.

They stole:
Playstation 1 ($10 tops)
A few dollars in change off my friend's desk
BB gun and broken airsoft gun
A couple other things worth next to nothing

They ate: microwave popcorn and a bag of chips

They left: 3 computers! assloads of books, DVD player, stereos, and all sorts of other stuff worth actual money.

They weren't really very mad.  They thought it was more funny than anything else.  Though, I think they missed the Playstation.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Sick of break-ins, my younger brother used to fasten razor blades to the tape player in door handles of his truck years ago when he lived in Boston, and would park it overnight in front of his apt. (He'd remove them every AM before going to work- had them on with magnets!)

And, soon, there was blood all over the ground in a trail leading away from his ride.... His truck never got bothered again by the locals.

ETA: just got off the phone with my bro. He corrected me!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Years ago when I lived in town I had a bunch of 8track tapes [dates me huh?] stolen out of my Land Cruiser while in my driveway. I knew that the kids across the street were a bit "shady" so I mosied over and looked in his car. Lo and behold my tapes were in the front seat. [all my tapes had my initials on them] Walked back home, got a hammer and proceeded to knock out the driver side window. I removed my tapes just as his dad drove in the drive. He got out of his car and I looked directly at him and said "just getting my tapes your kids stole from my truck". He looked at me, gave a nod, and walked by me into his house. I think he was very ashamed as he was actually a very nice guy and his boys were hanging with the wrong kids. I never had a bit of trouble after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top