Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 2:16:51 PM EDT
My father just gave me a Winchester Model 70 that used to be a .257 Roberts but was re-chambered for the .257 Weatherby mag.  It looks to be pretty old with hooded iron sights and some crappy scope on it.  I didn't research any numbers yet but was hoping someone here could tell me if these rifles are worth upgrading.  Can I get it to look like a 'sniper rifle'? What upgrades are out there?  I've read that this cartridge can be pretty hot also, over 4000fps for some loads.  I know it looks obscene, its got the same case as my dad's .300 Weatherby but with a tiny little bullet!  Please post your opinions.  
[thinking]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can I get it to look like a 'sniper rifle'?
View Quote

Maybe you should give it back to your father until you are a little older.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I get it to look like a 'sniper rifle'?
View Quote

Maybe you should give it back to your father until you are a little older.
View Quote

I'm 27 and a half.  I think that is old enough.  What I meant was, Is it worth it to get a bull barrel made for it and a new stock or should I put my money into something else?
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Some swat team snipers have started using that round over the 308.It is a very good caliber and has even been used on dangerous game in africa.The standard bullet weight that most prefer is the 120.It will take all game in north america and is also a flat shooting bullet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Kinda pricey to shoot much,(what the heck does 100 peices of 257 Weath. brass cost?)and barrel life likely will be dismal at best.No doubt you would spend less to purchase a Savage tactical or Rem pss for a little more,than to build an equal quality rifle out of what you have,and be able to shoot cheapo surplus ammo for those times when you dont have to make an 800 yd headshot on a moving terrorist......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top