Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 5:07:03 PM EDT
Please note the title is not "Dinner Picture" as I know some folks will start deducting for missing items. I've done a fair anount of dinner pics and frankly speaking, I've already prooved I own all manner of gun, knife, stapler and measuring device.

If you're looking for those items they aren't here by design and this is not that kind of dinner picture. With all of this said, I'll bet some idiot will point out I'm missing something.

My wife and I had an empty house tonite. We are having our usual NYE party tomorrow but decided to have a casual dinner this year so we decided to have a nice dinner tonight. Here it is.

Dry aged Porterhouse Steaks:

Crushed peppercorn and Koshor salt rub:

Getting the grill ready:

The finished product:

Bomber
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll trade you junkfood for a steak
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That last picture is better than sex  

Best cooked steak I have seen brother!!

+10
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Nicely done.

I need to assemble my new grill to enjoy steak and taters cooked properly, once again.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
yummy!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Tasty
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nicely Marbled!!!
A big 10  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
is that a pamperd chef roasting pan in the first pic???
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#9]
yup, not quite red enough for me....as i munch on some venison jerky,  

trade?

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nice grub.  Gotta say that steak is overcooked by about 7 minutes or so.

I agree but not quite 7 minutes. I took it off at 115 degrees and got way more resting rise than I expected. My wife likes her steak so rare I cannot put here salad near it because it will start grazing. Shit you could spray her prefered steak with solarcaine and send it back out to the pasture.

BOmber
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Steak looks just fine, I hate my steaks bloody I like knowing what Im eating is dead.

But don't the mushrooms go on top?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]

A couple times a year I spend some big bucks for dry aged steaks and I eat mine medium rare.

I have perfected the touch method of knowing the "doneness" of a steak.

It's snowing right now, but I think I will get a good steak to cook for Monday.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]

A couple times a year I spend some big bucks for dry aged steaks and I eat mine medium rare

These steaks came from Costco (inexpensive). You can easily "dry age" them yourself by placing them unwrapped on a meat rack in your refrigerator for several days. The first picture shows this. An earlier poster asked about the pan. It's a Calphalon Roasting pan.

Thanks for the comments so far

Bomber
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you tent that steak?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A couple times a year I spend some big bucks for dry aged steaks and I eat mine medium rare

These steaks came from Costco (inexpensive). You can easily "dry age" them yourself by placing them unwrapped on a meat rack in your refrigerator for several days. The first picture shows this. An earlier poster asked about the pan. It's a Calphalon Roasting pan.

Thanks for the comments so far

Bomber

Thanks for the info, I will try to dry age some steaks on my own.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Im ignernt.....what does dry ageing do?

Thanks in advance for the schooling.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Steak looks just fine, I hate my steaks bloody I like knowing what Im eating is dead.

But don't the mushrooms go on top?

The only good steaks are the ones that moo when you cut into it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
drooool...except for the peas
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Bomber,

You have perfectly cooked that steak sir!

Nice and lightly pink/full of flavor.

Not cow flavored jello

Congrats, it could be nothing other than perfect eating

Dram
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

-HS

It gives it a "meatier" flavor and improves the texture. If you have ever had a steak in a really good restaurant and wondered why it tasted better and had a firmer texture, it's due in part to aging.

Bomber
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice grub.  Gotta say that steak is overcooked by about 7 minutes or so.

I agree but not quite 7 minutes. I took it off at 115 degrees and got way more resting rise than I expected. My wife likes her steak so rare I cannot put here salad near it because it will start grazing. Shit you could spray her prefered steak with solarcaine and send it back out to the pasture.

www.darlynn.com/albums/album21/Christmas_Pittsfield_2005_062.sized.jpg

BOmber

Damn Bomber, looks tasty!!!! Im gonna pull a T bone out for late nigth grillin!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I need to get a good steak one day
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

-HS

I think it lets some of the blood drip out and lets the meat start to "break down" a little which makes the meat much more tender.  When you start with good quality meat in the first place this can make a steak truely fantastic!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Did you tent that steak?

No because the resting time is so short. If it were a roast, I would have tented it and allowed for a greater temperature rise than I did.

Good question.

Bomber
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh DAMN that looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'll be visiting Costco tomorrow...

What are you cooking over Bomber?  Mesquite?  Mesquite chips/chucks over briquets?  Unfortunately my grill is a Weber gas grill.  I lUUUUUUVVVVV the smokey wood flavor, but it's tough to get with gas.

GOOD JOB MAN!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#26]
And will you please explain the concept of temperature rise?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#27]
i had a wisdom tooth pulled and a cavity filled after work this PM.I so f in hungry after lookin at you steak,peas and smashed taters witha side of shrooms.o man your cruel!its bad enough that im bleeding like a stick pig and swollowing clumps of blood and now i salivating.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#28]
damn ...a two page dinner pic?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#30]
i had a wisdom tooth pulled and a cavity filled after work this PM.I so f in hungry after lookin at you steak,peas and smashed taters witha side of shrooms.o man your cruel!its bad enough that im bleeding like a stick pig and swollowing clumps of blood and now i salivating.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Oh DAMN that looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I'll be visiting Costco tomorrow...

What are you cooking over Bomber?  Mesquite?  Mesquite chips/chucks over briquets?  Unfortunately my grill is a Weber gas grill.  I lUUUUUUVVVVV the smokey wood flavor, but it's tough to get with gas.

GOOD JOB MAN!!!!!!!!!!!  

My local Costco has greatr meat. Try dry aging it. I have a $700 gas grill I never use since I bought this $50 Weber Kettle grill at Chinamart. It's Kingsford Charcoal with Cowboy hardwood charcoal placed on the top.

Bomber

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok nice, but when are you going to finish cooking it?

Pass the E. Coli please.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ok nice, but when are you going to finish cooking it?

Pass the E. Coli please.

Sacrilege!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

A very good question and important concept relative to cooking meat. After you remove your meat from the heat source it will continue to cook and the temperature inside will continue to rise as the heat from the outer portions will transfer to the middle. In order to get the desired "doneness" you should allow for a minimum of a 10 deg temperature rise.

So if you like a steak medium rare, you want an internal temperature of 125 to 130 degrees which means you need to take it off the heat source at 115 degrees. Buy an instant read thermometer. Get a digital one as the thermocouple is in the tip. With anoalog thermometers the bi metal is about 1 inch from the tip which makes correct placement difficult.

Bomber
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#35]
YUM!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-HS

It gives it a "meatier" flavor and improves the texture. If you have ever had a steak in a really good restaurant and wondered why it tasted better and had a firmer texture, it's due in part to aging.

Bomber

How long to "age" 2 days 3 days, more i woud hate to dry it out too much

BTW:Do you cover the Steaks in celophane while ageing it
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-HS

Bomber

How long to "age" 2 days 3 days, more i woud hate to dry it out too much

BTW:Do you cover the Steaks in celophane while ageing it

With roast I would go 3 to 4 days. With steaks 1 to 2 days works. They don't really "dry" out. You take moisture from the surface which allows better browning which in turn retains more moisture.

Bomber
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A very good question and important concept relative to cooking meat. After you remove your meat from the heat source it will continue to cook and the temperature inside will continue to rise as the heat from the outer portions will transfer to the middle. In order to get the desired "doneness" you should allow for a minimum of a 10 deg temperature rise.

So if you like a steak medium rare, you want an internal temperature of 125 to 130 degrees which means you need to take it off the heat source at 115 degrees. Buy an instant read thermometer. Get a digital one as the thermocouple is in the tip. With anoalog thermometers the bi metal is about 1 inch from the tip which makes correct placement difficult.

Bomber

Thanks for the explanation, Bomber.  I shall dine in fine fashion Sunday afternoon!

:)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top