Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 2:40:28 PM EDT
WTF?  The phones are all dead and when people try calling all they get is ringing.  I tried plugging a phone directly into the test port on the phone box outside and it's dead there too.  My DSL which is coming through the same phone line is working just fine.

I explained all of this to the phone company and the friendly lady kept telling me to unplug my cordless phones and just use the corded phones.  She swears that the problem has to be in the house even though I connected outside the house

She had the audacity to ask if I would like it fixed now or if I would like to wait for the next business day

It's the friday before a long weekend.  I told her that I am not waiting over 3 days to get my phone fixed.  She is going to have a service tech call my cell phone.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Relax, it's just the .gov setting up the tap
Better stock up on foil
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the exact same situation a few weeks ago. Sprint came out within a few days to fix it. There was a problem with a connection in the service box down the road. If you have no dial tone at your interface box like you said, then it is the phone companys problem to fix.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be the weed
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't suppose you have DirecTV?  Every once in a while, one of my receivers will hold the line open until I powerfail it.  The DSL line works but the phones don't.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You have no DT at your NID with the house disconnected?  DSL works,,    Problem is in the CO with the dsl DSLAM or the cabeling in the frame.   Unless some dipsky took DT off your line in the switch.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You checked your protector!   YOU FUCKING RULE!

Seriously, I hate it when people fail to check it at their demarcation... I'm mildly comforted to bill them for their stupidity.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
phones and internet (DSL) work at different frequencies and on different equipment.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I explained all of this to the phone company and the friendly lady kept telling me to unplug my cordless phones and just use the corded phones.  

Must be MCI
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
You have one bad incoming wire the DSL will work phone will not. Phone Company will have to switch you to a new line.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
phones and internet (DSL) work at different frequencies and on different equipment.

Dialtone feeds from the switch through the DSLAM where DSL is injected and both go to the protection block and out to the line on a single pair.

The only exception would be if you had a "dry pair" to beging with.  which is DSL service without dialtone.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Since the other telco professionals already explained the cause, all I can add is:

Enjoy the quiet

There are times when I'd do without a phone for 3 days, then the phone company would quit calling me out to fix other peoples phones
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Since the other telco professionals already explained the cause, all I can add is:

Enjoy the quiet

There are times when I'd do without a phone for 3 days, then the phone company would quit calling me out to fix other peoples phones

Seriously..    I need to loose the cell next time I have a horrible boating accident
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You checked your protector!   YOU FUCKING RULE!

Seriously, I hate it when people fail to check it at their demarcation... I'm mildly comforted to bill them for their stupidity.

I always did the inside wiring for my house when I added phone lines and got DSL for the first time.  My dad worked for Illinois Bell back in the day and taught me how to do all of that stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I still think it's the weed
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You have no DT at your NID with the house disconnected?  DSL works,,    Problem is in the CO with the dsl DSLAM or the cabeling in the frame.   Unless some dipsky took DT off your line in the switch.

Some numbnutz in my CO cross connected someone else’s line with my line. Whenever someone called him my phone rang. For some unknown reason another even stupider numbnutz at my office kept disconnecting the ISDN lines at the CO.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dialtone feeds from the switch through the DSLAM where DSL is injected and both go to the protection block and out to the line on a single pair.

The only exception would be if you had a "dry pair" to beging with.  which is DSL service without dialtone.

Right. Most people don't understand that, even though dial tone and high speed internet work on the same cable pair, they do so at different frequenices and on different equipment. One can work even when the other doesn't.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#17]
You probably have a broken jumper between the "Switch" also called OE,  and the DSLAM (dsl equipment) in the CO.

Call repair back and tell them you want a presendential complaint,  and if it's not fixed in 24 hours,  your going to the public utility commision.

normal

OE(dialtone)=====DSLAM(DSL)===============================house

your problem

OE(dialtone)== X ===DSLAM(DSL)=============================house

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the great information!  Someone will be stopping out tomorrow in the a.m. to check it out.  I did notice some static over the last few days, that could have something to do with it.

Hector_X,  I do have Direct TV, but I don't leave it connected to a phone line.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top