Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 11:53:24 AM EDT

I would like to kick him in the balls.  WTF?, want to drag out a room painting project?  Be sure to install stained trim when you build the house.

I swear it would be less work to tear all the trim off, paint, the stain and reinstall new trim.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I happen to like wood trim and have it throughout my house. A room with out the warmth of wood is like a room in a hospital.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it a guy named Wayne Coat?  lol
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a Victorian Thang.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I take it whoever is doing the painting hasn't painted much.
It shouldn't take that much longer to do it.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isn't it a guy named Wayne Coat?  lol

He had a partner............Lin Seed.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
www.westernwooddoctor.com/3mpainterstape.htm

I always use this to cover the trim, you will still get a few spots of paint here and there, but not the streaks you would have otherwise.  It doesnt leave any residue behind when you remove it, so you dont have to  go around removing sticky spots either,
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to Home Depot and get one of those small prybars with a wide, flat end,and a nail puller on the other end. Use it to carefully pry the trim off. If you are careful, you can pull it off with out breaking it up.Then paint,and put the trim back on. This way looks sooo much better than trying to mask around the trim.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go to Home Depot and get one of those small prybars with a wide, flat end,and a nail puller on the other end. Use it to carefully pry the trim off. If you are careful, you can pull it off with out breaking it up.Then paint,and put the trim back on. This way looks sooo much better than trying to mask around the trim.

+1

Or do what we did in my parents' house.  My mom was uber paranoid about cracking the trim, so we pried it gently away from the wall, far enough to be able to wrap the painter's tape over it, rather than just masking up to the edge, to make sure we didn't get any paint on the front of it. Any resultant runs just disappear behind it when you tap it back into place.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I happen to like wood trim and have it throughout my house. A room with out the warmth of wood is like a room in a hospital.  

That's for sure. There's nothing like an older house with plenty of STAINED wood trim.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have white painted trim (cheaper wood can be used). Fairly easy if you don't have carpet. I just trim the floor, doors, windows, and ceiling out, then roll.

I also have white ceilings too. Much brighter.

Staining is a bitch though. For walls/door frames you might try Minwax Gel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have the hand or patience to cut a room in anymore; twenty years ago, it was easy, now it's drudgery.  On top of the painting, I restained the trim in place first.

I'll be done Monday, then on to building a cedar closet in the basement.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]

mmmmaamma invented stained trim!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top