Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 10:11:33 AM EDT
Well folks took my new LEGP out to the range today. First lemme say this.....IT HOTTER THAN FV
Ok that's done. Well the LEGP performed well. I took 3 different type mags with me. 2 30rds Thermold brand new. 2 30rds LaBelles used. 2 20rds I don't know the brand, USGI, bought from the mag forum. Appears to be new never been used. All fit great and dropped free. The Thermolds did not feed the first round, first time out without the forward assist. After that it was just fine. BTW I only loaded them to 25rds each.

I used some S African surplus ammo I got from Cascade. Worked great. Also had about 50rds of Winchester(used for zeroing) That worked great as well, all 55grains.

The faux collapsible stock were a that bit longer than the ones I've shot in the past, which is good cause I have long arms. I did not feel scrunched up. The tube is very comfortable on my cheeks. They are not skinny so you feel some support there. The trigger was awesome, matter of fact the entire action was awesome. I did switch to a tac charging handle. Works and looks better I think. With the BSA scope however I feel its a bit nose heavy. Kinda helps on the muzzle climb. I shot my CAR15 also and the LEGP, not having a "working" muzzle brake, the LEGP is a little slower as far as target acquisition after each shot. Maybe that's just me.

The BSA is a good scope I think. Not better than say the ReflexII, but its pretty damn good for an inexpensive alternative. The only complaint I have is the with the 42MM, you can see the front sight post clearly. I keep wanting to aim based on that. However the red dot is just a hair of to the right. I could move my head a lil bit and center it with the front sight post, but it would not be comfortable and natural for me.

Any case here's a pic of my first target. I was zeroing the BSA at 50yds. You can see how I was walking it up from lower right to the last 6 shots in the center. At a 100yds however I shot all over the place. Guess I suck!!!.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/Oy/Rs/2o/Vn75866.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem with the Thermolds was probably due to 'overmold' on the feedlips.  Whenever you get new Thermolds insert the mags empty and then work the bolt over them numerous times to break them in.  Afterwards blow out the rifle and mags really well and from then on all should be smooth.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
LT:

Did you do a break-in procedure?

I didn't on my LEGP and I regret it.  The barrel seems to pick up a lot more copper than my other rifles (on which a break-in was performed.)
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
LT:

Did you do a break-in procedure?

I didn't on my LEGP and I regret it.  The barrel seems to pick up a lot more copper than my other rifles (on which a break-in was performed.)
View Quote

[:(] No, now you tell me. I just shot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
No, now you tell me. I just shot the hell out of it.

Tsk.Tsk  

Havent learned a thing? now have we?

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always heard you don't need to break-in chrome lined barrels.

Grip it and let it rip.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:00:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice 50 yd grouping! On the question of break-in of your barrel. Chrome bores need less attention. According to Bushmaster, you need to fire 200 rounds without cleaning to break in their chrome lined bore. Then clean it up with a good cleanser like Breakfree CLP.  I clean mine every 200 rounds or so, and when I reach about 1000, I use Sweets 7.62 or Borescrubber to clean it up and get the copper fouling out. Thats probably too often for some people, but I dont wish to scrub all night long to get the copper out.But scrub it down good. Basically shoot it till the accuracy starts to degrade, then clean it with copper solvent or some other heavy duty stuff. For ease I just keep it at 200 round intervals for regular cleaning. Every ten boxes, clean it. My rifle is just as accurate as when I bought it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, shot about 300rds thru it and then cleaned it last night. That's basically what I did with my last AR as far as break in is concerned.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've always heard you don't need to break-in chrome lined barrels.

Grip it and let it rip.
View Quote
Last I heard, the LEGP does not have a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Send it back!...[:)]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
It's probably not too late to break in a rifle properly. Just clean the living shit out of it & start over.Simple as that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
[i]I could move my head a lil bit and center it with the front sight post, but it would not be comfortable and natural for me.[/i]

That should be a clue that it is a cheap scope.  I have the exact same BSA that came with a M17s I bought.  I haven't had the pleasure of using an Aimpoint, but if I were to bet on it, I would say that the dot does not move when your head does.  Even if it does, the dot should remain over the target.   With the BSA, you always have to make sure the dot is in the center of the scope for it to be on target.  Test this out.  Lay the scope on a table, and place the dot over an imagined target.  Without moving anything but your head, notice the way the dot moves around the target.  That tells me that the odds of hitting accurately under rapid, stressful fire would be slim.  Try it, and let me know if it is just the particular scope I have or not.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If rifle barrels needed a "break-in", don't you think someone would offer barrels that have been broken in already?

What are the supposed benefits of the break-in?
View Quote

The benefit of a proper break in is longer periods between cleanings. The properly broken in barrel will no copper foul as quickly. It will allow for the most accuracy you & your rifle are cabable of. Most folks don't understand this or really don't care. The AR is capable of pretty fine accuracy, but without a proper break in you will never get it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#15]
The LEGP barrel is NOT chrome lined.

RRA has "hand lapped" the barrels and states they don't need a break-in procedure

Also, I just found out that RRA polishes the feedramps.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#16]

I am providing a few diferent opinions on the break-in. As you will see the real issue is what you start with. A Shilen or a Lilja wont require the break-in. A common off the shelf barrel would benefit from the treatment. That said, reading the below you can make up your own mind. I don't think that the LEGP barrel is "hand lapped" and would benefit form some breakin procedures. Do some homework of your own to see if it's for you. Some folks really don't care as i said before. Many are happy with 2" at 100yds. I'm not.

How should I break-in my new Shilen barrel?

Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal. All our stainless steel barrels have been hand lapped as part of their production, as well as any chrome moly barrel we install. Hand lapping a barrel polishes the interior of the barrel and eliminates sharp edges or burrs that could cause jacket deformity. This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning. Here is our standard recommendation:

Clean after each shot for the first 5 shots.   The remainder of the break-in is to clean every 5 shots for the next 50 shots.

During this time, don't just shoot bullets down the barrel during this 50 shot procedure. This is a great time to begin load development. Zero the scope over the first 5 shots, and start shooting for accuracy with 5-shot groups for the next 50 shots. Same thing applies to fire forming cases for improved or wildcat cartridges. Just firing rounds down a barrel to form brass without any regard to their accuracy is a mistake. It is a waste of time and barrel life.

From Lilja
Q. What is hand lapping?

A. The hand lapping process, that all of our barrels undergo, ensures that you will receive a rifle barrel that has the very best and most desirable type of internal finish that we can provide.  The lapping operation brings the final internal dimensions up to size and also improves the finish.  No production barrels are hand lapped, only the finest custom barrels receive this very important operation.  And it is partly for this reason that hand lapped barrels cost more than lower grade production barrels.

In practice, a molten lap is cast around a rod placed inside the barrel.  The profile of the rifling is cast into the lap ensuring a very precise fit with that individual barrel.  The lap is then "charged" with lapping compound, oiled, and pushed and pulled repeatedly  through the length of the barrel.  The lap is "recharged" and oiled many times and several new laps will be cast before the lapping procedure is completed.  The man doing the lapping judges when the barrel is finished by a very experienced feel for the job, inspecting the internal finish as it develops with a full length borescope, and by measuring the diameters of the
lands and grooves.

We have, over the years, developed a process that we feel gives us the very best finish and uniformity of diameters the full length of the barrel, that we can obtain.  And the proof is, in our opinion, in the very minimal amount of bullet jacket fouling that our barrels produce, and in their outstanding accuracy.

[url]http://www.eoutdoors.com/information/article.asp?articlenumber=90[/url]

[url]http://www.recguns.com/VIIIB2a.html[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top