Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2005 3:54:27 AM EDT

I think it's about time I finally get a credit card. I am 25, and have excellent credit. I get applications all the time in the mail, but I usually burn them. Now, though, I guess I should get one. I am interested in one in which I get a tangible benefit, such as sky miles. What other kind of benefits are available out there for cardholders?

Taxman mentioned in another thread that he had a Cabela's card that gave him a 1% return to spend at their store. That sounds pretty good to me. Anything else out there available that tops that?

I am not too worried about interest rates and such, as I intend to pay it off in full every month, and get it withdrawn directly out of my checking account. I will only really use it for gas and food anyway, probably.

Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:58:32 AM EDT
if you have excellent credit, don't get one.

get a debit card and forgo the whole mess.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:01:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RyJones:

Trying to rent a car or buy airline tickets with a debit card is difficult as several rental places and a few airlines do not accept debit cards.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:13:01 AM EDT
NRA card.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:19:12 AM EDT

What? No, avoid a debit card, because you are much better protected with a real credit card. The law protects you if you use a credit card. With a debit card, you have fewer legal protections.z
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:21:41 AM EDT
Debit cards suck; this based on the experiences of others; I never had one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:24:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:

Trying to rent a car or buy airline tickets with a debit card is difficult as several rental places and a few airlines do not accept debit cards.

I know Avis and Enterprise take them. Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:24:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Oslow:

Let me restate that: "I don't know anything, but I'll spout off anyway".

Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:25:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 4:29:35 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
The Rule That Shall Not Be Broken:

Pay your balance off in full each month, and don't spend more than you can afford to pay off at the end of each month.

That said, definitely get a rewards card. They usually have a somewhat higher interest rate, but as long as you don't break the above rule, it doesn't matter what the interest rate is as long as they have a grace period each month. (Make sure they do!)

If you fly a lot, sky miles can be worth it if you make sure you've read the restrictions and are okay with them. Even if I did fly often, I'm not sure I'd get one with skymiles.

I have the Amazon Visa Card. It pays back 1% of all charges in Amazon gift certificates, and all Amazon purchases pay back 3%. I would prefer cash, but I shop at Amazon often enough to make it worth it. I can save them up and buy Christmas presents with them if nothing else.

Chase also has a rewards card that pays back 1% of all purchases and 3% of certain purchases like gas and groceries. It has an annual cap, though, so figure out if you'd hit the cap.

As stated above, credit card users are protected from fraud by law. You're only responsible for the first $50 in fraudulent charges as long as you report it quickly. Some issuers protect you even more, but they are required to offer protection. Debit cards are not required to have fraud protection. If you do get a debit card, make sure the issuer offers free fraud protection, or you could find your bank account emptied with no way to do anything about it.

Also credit cards are like a month-long interest-free loan. As long as you pay the balance off each month, you're better off with a credit card.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:29:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Oslow:

Let me restate that: "I don't know anything, but I'll spout off anyway".

Thanks for playing.

Let me restate for you:

I have very limited experience in financial matters in real life but I'm an expert on the internet.

Plus I'm a dick.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:13:17 AM EDT
not to add fuel to the fire, is it not true that as long as your "debit" card has the visa/mc symbol that you are afforded the same protections as having a cc, provided you use it as credit vs debit when you pay? this is a serious question.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:19:31 AM EDT

is it not true that as long as your "debit" card has the visa/mc symbol that you are afforded the same protections as having a cc, provided you use it as credit vs debit when you pay

No. The law very clearly differentiates between credit cards and debit cards. There's no clause that says something like "if it has a certain symbol on it then it's treated legally like a credit card."

After seeing the nightmares several coworkers, relatives, and customers have been through after having their bank accounts emptied because they had a debit card, I strongly suggest avoiding them. You don't want to have to fight the bank in civil court to get your money back. If the cards were to your advantage, why would you think the banks would be pushing them so hard?z
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:21:02 AM EDT
The next card I get will be the NRA card (if I were to get any new cards).

I'll use somebody else's money for 28 days.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:30:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 5:31:23 AM EDT by Stump]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:44:52 AM EDT
If you like to order stuff online, then get one that has a virtual-number service. Citibank is one that does. A virtual credit-card is a different number that your CC company generates but that charges back to your own card. It only accepts one charge one time.

This way you don't ever have to give out your real number to any online businesses, it cuts way down on the chances of fraud/theft.
~
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:46:11 AM EDT
Get taht NRA credit card.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:48:21 AM EDT
I highly recommend the NONE card. You can't go wrong with it.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:51:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:

I know Avis and Enterprise take them. Thanks for playing.

Neither the Avis nor the Enterprise branches at the Birmingham, AL airport will accept debit cards. The ony one there that will, to my knowledge, is Hertz.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:54:52 AM EDT
Run like hell......
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:10:04 AM EDT
You say you have "excellent" credit, but don't have a revolving account (credit card)??

What is your credit score based on? Installment loans (car). Do you have student loans?

Just because you haven't been sued in small claims or had a collection agency on your butt doesn't mean you have good credit. Not haveing credit is worse than having bad credit.

As a former F&I guy, I have some working knowledge of this subject. A Visa/MC check card is not the same as a Visa or MC credit card. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

I recommend you get a credit card with a decent limit - no less than $1,000.00. Who cares about the interest rates because if you do what I tell you to do, you won't be paying any of your hard-earned money on interest. Don't accept cards from secondary companies, like Providian, Orchard, etc., stick with primary names like Bank of America, CITI, CapitolOne, etc.

If you can't get a minimum $1,000.00 limit - don't settle for the secondary cards, go to your bank and open a secured account for a credit card with the 1k deposit. They will return your money with interest in 12-18 months (if you are a good boy!).

Live on the card each month, buy gas, groceries, etc., the "normal" things you would buy each month. Take your paychecks and put that money in your savings/checking account and DON'T SPEND IT! When you get the credit card bill, pay it in full. Do this every month, every month, every month. You will build a track record of paying in full the amount and your credit limit will be increased in 12-18 months, probably to $2,500-$5,000. I suggest a person have at least two credit cards, one Visa and one MasterCard, and I also recommend you have an American Express card. While the AMEX is convenient, it is to be used for things like airline tickets, car rentals, etc., that your company will reimburse you for. If you can't get an AMEX, don't worry about it. If you stick with the Visa/MC and work the monthly pay-off program, your credit will improve to the point AMEX will look for you.

I have worked with several customers to improve their credit ratings over the years and I can tell you that there is nothing that will make you feel better than knowing you have zero debt, and enough credit to buy almost anything you "want" to buy (but enough brains to not buy it!).

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:14:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Pay your balance off in full each month, and don't spend more than you can afford to pay off at the end of each month.

That said, definitely get a rewards card. They usually have a somewhat higher interest rate, but as long as you don't break the above rule, it doesn't matter what the interest rate is as long as they have a grace period each month. (Make sure they do!)

If you fly a lot, sky miles can be worth it if you make sure you've read the restrictions and are okay with them. Even if I did fly often, I'm not sure I'd get one with skymiles.

I have the Amazon Visa Card. It pays back 1% of all charges in Amazon gift certificates, and all Amazon purchases pay back 3%. I would prefer cash, but I shop at Amazon often enough to make it worth it. I can save them up and buy Christmas presents with them if nothing else.

Chase also has a rewards card that pays back 1% of all purchases and 3% of certain purchases like gas and groceries. It has an annual cap, though, so figure out if you'd hit the cap.

As stated above, credit card users are protected from fraud by law. You're only responsible for the first $50 in fraudulent charges as long as you report it quickly. Some issuers protect you even more, but they are required to offer protection. Debit cards are not required to have fraud protection. If you do get a debit card, make sure the issuer offers free fraud protection, or you could find your bank account emptied with no way to do anything about it.

Also credit cards are like a month-long interest-free loan. As long as you pay the balance off each month, you're better off with a credit card.

Chase issues the Amazon card. Chase cards are good, IMO.

My favorite card is Discover Card. I have had mine since I was 21.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:20:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cheaptrickfan:

Live on the card each month, buy gas, groceries, etc., the "normal" things you would buy each month. Take your paychecks and put that money in your savings/checking account and DON'T SPEND IT! When you get the credit card bill, pay it in full. Do this every month, every month, every month. You will build a track record of paying in full the amount and your credit limit will be increased in 12-18 months, probably to $2,500-$5,000. I suggest a person have at least two credit cards, one Visa and one MasterCard, and I also recommend you have an American Express card. While the AMEX is convenient, it is to be used for things like airline tickets, car rentals, etc., that your company will reimburse you for. If you can't get an AMEX, don't worry about it. If you stick with the Visa/MC and work the monthly pay-off program, your credit will improve to the point AMEX will look for you.

I have worked with several customers to improve their credit ratings over the years and I can tell you that there is nothing that will make you feel better than knowing you have zero debt, and enough credit to buy almost anything you "want" to buy (but enough brains to not buy it!).

That is what I have been doing since I was 18, never had a late payment or finance charge in my life and Ill be 22 in just over a month!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:30:31 AM EDT
Awesome!!

Just don't blow your track record by going into debt for a depreciating assett, like a PlasmaTV!!! (or spending your money entertaining your friends for a weekend at Mabel's, or the Chicken Ranch, or the Cherry Patch!)

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:30:36 AM EDT
I have only 2 cards, Discover and a Visa.... We use the Discover card for everything because we are tring to not write checks any more. Food, gas, clothes, firearms go on the Discover and the balance is paid in full every month. I have never carried a balance or paid interest on the card and I may have had it for 20 years. I love the cash back bonus, it may not be the best and it sometime sounds good about other frequent flyer milage points. But I have CASH that I can spend ANYWHERE!! This way I can take my cash and then shop for the cheapest plane tickets. I am not locked into where I can spent my money. The Visa is only used for a few catalog places I order from that won't take Discover....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:32:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jms92:
I have only 2 cards, Discover and a Visa.... We use the Discover card for everything because we are tring to not write checks any more. Food, gas, clothes, firearms go on the Discover and the balance is paid in full every month. I have never carried a balance or paid interest on the card and I may have had it for 20 years. I love the cash back bonus, it may not be the best and it sometime sounds good about other frequent flyer milage points. But I have CASH that I can spend ANYWHERE!! This way I can take my cash and then shop for the cheapest plane tickets. I am not locked into where I can spent my money. The Visa is only used for a few catalog places I order from that won't take Discover....

Not if it is a $100 bill....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:32:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jms92:

my mom has the discover with the cashback and LOVES it. She puts everything on there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:41:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:19:42 PM EDT

You say you have "excellent" credit, but don't have a revolving account (credit card)??

What is your credit score based on? Installment loans (car). Do you have student loans?

I bought a new vehicle in June, and have so far made all payments in full plus about four extra payments since then. I also had a computer I bought from Dell a couple of years ago that I paid off in about 8 months instead of 48. My score was a 720 when I last checked a few weeks ago.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:22:21 PM EDT

What is the benefit of the NRA card? Also, the Amazon card only gives cash back for items purchased off of their website?

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:32:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 2:05:30 PM EDT by ComputerGuy]
I have an Amex that gives you 1% cash back on all purchased. The 1% is deposited into a 3.5% interest savings account. Plus they give you $25 for joining.

Not many take Discover card over here.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:09:36 PM EDT
If you are single my advice is Don't Get One.
If you are married make damn sure your wife doesn't get her hands on one.

Just my simple words of advice from my past experiences.
women and credit cards are not a good mix IMO.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:22:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:31:06 PM EDT
Chase or citibank rewards card.

5% cash rebate on gasoline, grocery store, and drugstore purchases. For some reason I get 5% on all walmart purchases... including ammo...
1% cash on everything else.

There are any number of non-cash rebate cards out there (plane tickets, merchant gift cards, etc.) but few pay enough over 1% to make it worthwhile. Cash is the universal gift certificate!

Just be sure to pay it off in full every month.

Also when the 0% cash advance deals come out, max that sucker out and put the cash in a safe investment, like a certificate of deposit. Read the fine print, usually your payments go towards the lowest interest balances first, so once you load up the card don't use it for daily purchases. Make the minimum payments until the promotional interest rate expires. Be sure to make a note on your calendar so you don't end up owing a month's worth of interest.

Discover's not too bad, but they have a tiered rebate (0.25 -- 0.50 -- 1.00% only after the first $1,500 in purchases), and only pay 0.25% at wal-mart and sam's club regardless of tier. They do offer some gift certificates in lieu of a cash rebate ($25 ace hardware or $25 border's card for $20 cash) that are worthwhile to me.

These credit card companies are hoping to catch people buying stuff they don't have the cash to pay for. Their interest is horrible so they offer all these enticements to "trick" people into running up a big balance. Anything really worth taking out a loan on can be financed at a much better rate down at the bank. Again, take advantage of their features but never pay interest or fees.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:42:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AvengeR15:

I bought a new vehicle in June, and have so far made all payments in full plus about four extra payments since then. I also had a computer I bought from Dell a couple of years ago that I paid off in about 8 months instead of 48. My score was a 720 when I last checked a few weeks ago.

<montgomery burns> Excellent!</montgomery burns>
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:26:54 PM EDT

+1 Stay away from them and save yourself the hastle. As mentioned if you need a Card get a Debit card
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:10:06 AM EDT
I was told (by a bank manager no less) that paying off the card every month is not necessarily the best way to build credit. The reason is that if you can pay the card off every month, then you are just using it in place of pocket money--and you aren't really "managing" debt.

If they can get the data, banks look at how many on-time payments you have made and what the purchases were for, as well as the average balance carried. They generally prefer to see 10%-30% carried, but if you pay it off every month, the average can stay "too low".

I would also agree that living without credit now is basically not easily possible or even advisable--but be very careful. The charges on my credit cards always seem to rack up faster than they are paid down.

I think debit cards suck, just for the protections they lack.
My credit union changed their ATM cards to Visa "debit cards" a couple years back, and I seem to remember that if you "charge" anything on it, they will automatically open a credit card account on the number as well.
-I have refused to use it for anything but an ATM card in the credit union's own machines. I am NOT interested in giving everyone a direct line into my checking account.
~
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:46:53 AM EDT
I found out that Capital One is not the company to get a credit card from. Hell I paid for thier optional unemployment/disability insurance on thier card and when I got sick with cancer they would not and still won't accept my claim even with my doctors giving them complete axcess to all of my medical records they still will not pay. I think it is funny that they claim to be the "No Hassle" card companie but when a person gets struck with cancer and cannot work or pay on thier card the companie decides that the insurance the card holder paid for isn't any good. They just piss me off to no end. I paid on thier card for a while after I got sick and didn't have a job. I scraped for almost 7 months to pay the minimum while being sick and they wouldn't even help or honor thier insurance. Then on top of it they still are sending collection agencies after me when they know exactly what is happening with me and my condition. I am on the edge of if they call to harrass me again that I should sue. Hell I have talked to an attorney and he says there is no reason for them not to honor the insurance and that they shouldn't even harrass me. Infact I have had to have him call them several times to stop the harrassment. The "No Hassle" company is nothing but a headache and I can't wait for them to harrass me again since I am slowly becoming the old grumpy dog that doesn't like to be poked with a stick. I think I can get pretty mean if needed and I can't wait until they call again because I am gonna lay into them until they decide that they can honor thier insurance or until they decide to leave me alone. Just be careful with what card you decide. I didn't have a very big limit but the card companie decided to charge me enough in late payment fees that they say I owe them about 4 times my credit limit. Also don't believe in the insurance they offer on the card unless you get absolute proof that they will honor it and even then I wouldn't hold my breath. Capital One had a great insurance plan to cover the card if I got sick or became disabled and then when I got sick and became disabled they wouldn't honor it. I don't think they believe that I am sick or disabled but my doctor won't let me work nor can I sit or stand or stay still long enough to do any work. I am lucky if I can sit in front of my computer long enough to type an email or even read AR15.com for a few minutes. Just research your card companies wisely and if you can ask others what cards they use and what companies they have had the best luck in dealing with. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:50:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 6:53:32 AM EDT by KA3B]

Originally Posted By zoom:

is it not true that as long as your "debit" card has the visa/mc symbol that you are afforded the same protections as having a cc, provided you use it as credit vs debit when you pay

No. The law very clearly differentiates between credit cards and debit cards. There's no clause that says something like "if it has a certain symbol on it then it's treated legally like a credit card."

After seeing the nightmares several coworkers, relatives, and customers have been through after having their bank accounts emptied because they had a debit card, I strongly suggest avoiding them. You don't want to have to fight the bank in civil court to get your money back. If the cards were to your advantage, why would you think the banks would be pushing them so hard?z

Once again...

Some banks DO offer your debit card the SAME PROTECTION as they do with THEIR ISSUED credit card.

Wells Fargo is one.

This same argument comes up at LEAST every couple of months.

Get a credit card issued from your bank with a set limit on it, say $750-$1200.
Use it every month, never carry a balance, pay it off in full.

Come next year is going to be interesting for those who are maxed out on their cards and who can only afford to pay the minimum payment.....

My life with credit card debt is going to end in 4 months.
Wells Fargo was so happy that I paid off my Wells visa and that I had reduced my credit debt that they GAVE me a 4.7% interest rate on my Wells Visa card.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:11:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:

Come next year is going to be interesting for those who are maxed out on their cards and who can only afford to pay the minimum payment.....

DING DING DING.....Congress is telling the CC folk to double the minimum payment ofr CC debt.

Just wait and see what happens, not going to be a pretty sight also figure in the change in BK regulations, it is not going to be so easy to get out of frivolous spending.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:11:43 AM EDT

Some banks DO offer your debit card the SAME PROTECTION as they do with THEIR ISSUED credit card.

That is the entire point. The law doesn't protect you as well. The bank may have a policy that they may or may not decide to follow in your case. With a credit card, the bank has to sue you to get your money. The bank has to prove that you really owe the money. With a debit card, you have to sue them to get it back since they've already taken it. With the credit card, you have the money while the case is being decided. With the debit card, the bank has it. It's a huge difference.z
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:21:32 AM EDT
First off, do not apply for a bunch of credit cards. The inquiries will lower your score for a while. Secondly, get one that has no yearly fee. Why pay them to use their card? They are making plenty on the merchant charges.
Third, if you can, get a rewards card with benefits. I just got an AMEX card that will reimburse me the price difference ($250 per charge, up to $1000 a year) for any purchase I make where I find a price that is cheaper. As long as I have a print ad, I am set. This can really help when I purchase products that are on extreme sales and are out of stock. I also get a 90-day return and points towards hotel stays (which I can use).

I suggest you scour this site to learn more about how credit works for you and against you (if you mess up): www.creditboards.com

Eric
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:48:40 AM EDT
Dont get any. Your on the right track.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:53:33 AM EDT
I cannot believe all the bad advice that comes out when the issue of CC comes up. So much "blaming the card" instead of the person that we criticize so much regarding gun issues.

A credit card does not go out and charge itself. A CC does not go over it's limit by itself. If you are a responsible person, CC are a great way to make your life easier and establish good credit.

My CC pays ME $50 about every 2 months in cash back rewards.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:02:01 AM EDT
citibank dividend card. gives 5% cash back on gas, supermarket and drug store purchases
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:19:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stump:

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

This is what I've been doing for awhile now with my Cabelas rewards card. About twice a year I'll use what I have earned by shopping at Cabelas online ( ammo, clothes ). It's worked out great.

I also use a Cabela's Visa card. The balance is ALWAYS payed in full every month and it gets 1% cash or 3% on Cabela's purchases.
Works great for me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:30:32 AM EDT
If your credit score is 720 dont bother with the CC, If you absolutly HAVE to get one STAY AWAY from Capital One, Let me say this again-

STAY AWAY from CAPITAL ONE
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:32:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 8:38:53 AM EDT by crazyquik]

Originally Posted By AvengeR15:
I think it's about time I finally get a credit card. I am 25, and have excellent credit. I get applications all the time in the mail, but I usually burn them. Now, though, I guess I should get one. I am interested in one in which I get a tangible benefit, such as sky miles. What other kind of benefits are available out there for cardholders?

Taxman mentioned in another thread that he had a Cabela's card that gave him a 1% return to spend at their store. That sounds pretty good to me. Anything else out there available that tops that?

I'm in a similar situation to you.

I would go for a rewards card. They generally give you .01 back for every dollar you spend on anything, and .02-.04 back for every dollar you spend with 'them'.

A friend got a small boat for his pond for free from Cabelas because of his reward card.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:57:12 AM EDT
I don't understand everyone suggesting the AMEX. Are we talking about the green AMEX? Cause I have one due to work. (Don't ask) and as I recall that sucker is due in FULL every month. I'd never have one again if work didn't force me to. Sure I pay my cards off every month but sometimes it winds up only being half, then the last half the next month.

AMEX to me isn't nearly as flexible as a good rewards card from a reputable bank. Just watch the late fees, over the limit charges, blah, blah, blah. Pay it off every month or so and you'll be good to go.

Maybe everyone else is talking about the blue AMEX which might be different from the green?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:40:42 AM EDT
American Express is a charge card, not a credit card--so it has to be paid in full at the end of every month. If you believe in the 'pay it off every month" advice or not--I'd still suggest a MC or Visa card--just because they are accepted at more places than AmEx is.

For that matter--if you travel a lot, it would be wise to make a survey of what is most-accepted wherever you are likely to roam......
~
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:41:21 AM EDT
A victoria's secret credit card. I'll send you my shipping address and wish list
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top