Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 9:00:25 PM EDT
I got rid of that effing Spy axe crap earlier tonight.. Dont want anymore of that kinda crap.. Whats a good one to get?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Trend Micro isn't too bad.

Don't know much about McAffee anymore.

Stay away from Norton.  Resource Hog.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Panda anti-virus and ewido anti-malware (guards against trojans, apyware etc)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Mac OS X.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Trojan, non-ribbed, lubricated.

Sorry, wrong thread !
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Apple OS X

Linux is a close second

Quoted:
Mac OS X.

Psst:  There are few viruses and spyware because NOBODY USES THOSE OS'S!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Apple OS X

Linux is a close second

Quoted:
Mac OS X.

well, the sheeple dont use them.

Real computer users run linux, even on their macs
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Apple OS X

Linux is a close second

Quoted:
Mac OS X.

well, the sheeple dont use them.

Real computer users run linux, even on their macs

One of my favorite generic replies to Mac users:  "Oh yeah?  Right click, bitch."

It applies to a great many attacks.  The only thing Macs are good for is clearing out your stuffy checking account.  Linux is OK but not intuitive or easy for most people to use.  *NIX also isn't supported by alot of software.

I CHOOSE to use Windows.  I also choose not to click malicious links or download strange files.  Not miraculously, I haven't had a problem a restart wouldn't fix.  I take care of my machine and it takes care of me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow... I think I started a pissing match... Where is that damn popcorn smiley thing?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
AVG 7.1 . Good and free. Did I mention it's good?

Here

This is rated in the top five, it beat the crap out of Norton 2005. I have been liking it a lot so far - and it's free as long as it's for a home user and not a business.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mac OS X.

When it comes to thwarting spyware and viri, OS 9.x ain't exactly chopped liver, either...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
AVG 7.1 . Good and free. Did I mention it's good?

Here

This is rated in the top five, it beat the crap out of Norton 2005. I have been liking it a lot so far - and it's free as long as it's for a home user and not a business.

Got it... Thanks... System scan of my PC revealed.. Well...... Damn.................
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Apple OS X

Linux is a close second

Quoted:
Mac OS X.

Psst:  Executables CANNOT run on Unix/Linux/OSX like they can on Windows.  Due to operating systems that have properly coded user rights/file permission unlike Windows which is running rampant with viruses/malware.  How many resources are tied up in antivirus/spyware programs?  Why apologize for Microsoft anyways?  They don't give a fuck about their users, take a good hard look at their lax patching policies, that's assuming you're computer isn't owned by the 0-day exploit that's been in the wild for 2 days now just waiting for you to view the wrong jpeg.
Just remember it's not the numbers in the userbase it's the skill level in writing the exploit and unfortunately for Windows users their shit is simple to exploit.  There's a reason why there are only a few viruses for unix systems and it's not the size of their userbase.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Try this, it's free and it's what I use.

Ubuntu.com
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:52:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Antivirus programs are something of a crap shoot in Windows--I think I've seen or heard of just about every major program out there stuff a system so bad upon installing that the OS had to be reinstalled. This may well have been because the computers in question already had something in them, that the antivirus program found and removed--but the consequences of that caused dire problems for the rest of the OS.

One thing that you can search for is concrete incompatabilities--and to that end, I can say that I am running F-Secure on my main PC right now, and it has one major disadvantage in that it is not compatible with ZoneAlarm, which is my favorite software firewall. There is a trick by which both will install and run, but you cannot be certain that both are actually working.
~
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The only thing Macs are good for is clearing out your stuffy checking account.

Yeah, that's why I just saw an entire north Atlantic hurricane weather model built on a Mac and running at the NHC in Miami.

LOL!

I CHOOSE to use Windows.

Nobody's perfect!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mac OS X.

When it comes to thwarting spyware and viri, OS 9.x ain't exactly chopped liver, either...

Sorry. I saw the light only after OS X had come out.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]
i'm using the trend micro suite. Its treated me quite well.

you can get it 50% off if you go here and follow the link to their site from MS

www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Avast.  Free and doesn't hog resources like Norton.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#20]
FWIW, I was using Trend Micro on my last PC. I noticed very little slowdown in performance.

I've heard horror stories about Norton.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I got rid of that effing Spy axe crap earlier tonight.. Dont want anymore of that kinda crap.. Whats a good one to get?

You already have one - it's called Windows.   Either through ignorance or laziness you chose to use an Administrator account to browse the web and therefore gave any and all malware express permission to trash your system.  It's your own fault.   Learn from it.

If people would create a "Limited" (XP Home) or "User" (XP Pro & 2000) account to use for everyday web browsing, then none of this crap could ever get installed in the first place.  Learn to use the built-in features of your OS and you won't have any of these problems.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#22]
AVG Antivirus
Microsoft Anti Spyware
Ad Aware

I have found this trio to be very effective
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You already have one - it's called Windows.   Either through ignorance or laziness you chose to use an Administrator account to browse the web and therefore gave any and all malware express permission to trash your system.  It's your own fault.   Learn from it.

If people would create a "Limited" (XP Home) or "User" (XP Pro & 2000) account to use for everyday web browsing, then none of this crap could ever get installed in the first place.  Learn to use the built-in features of your OS and you won't have any of these problems.

Well Goddamn!!! I like you cowboy!!Thanks for that expert advice.. Please quit writing code and get out of your moms basement...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#24]
So I guess McAfee no one cares for?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well Goddamn!!! Thanks for that expert advice.. Please quit writing code and get out of your moms basement...

I just gave you the solution to all your spyware problems, and it was easy and free.  You're welcome.

Sorry if you don't like my advice, but I feel that using an Admin account to browse the web is insanely stupid.  Yes, most people do it.  Yes, most people are stupid.  If you were to stop doing it, then you'd never get infected with any type of spyware, virus, or trojan again.  Ever.  But you obviously aren't willing to make this simple configuration change to Windows, so good luck and have fun constantly fighting malware.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So I guess McAfee no one cares for?

My experience with McAfee has also been positive, but I ended up going with Trend Micro based upon speed. Guys who know more about this crap than I do recommended it to me, and I was very happy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Kaspersky, fastest, takes up the smallest amount of resources; they actually release REAL updates everyday, not once a week and when there is a critical outbreak like symantics products do.  I run xp pro, haven't had a problem in......A LONG TIME!!!

Spybot for spyware (not that stupid tea timer though)
Lexun Regscrub xp for cleanin up the 'ol reg

Speed
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#28]
To keep your pc safe you need a mixture of software.
No one piece of software will keep you safe but a combination will make you safer...never 100% but it's the best you can do.

Ad-aware
Spybot Search and destroy
Firewall eg Zonealarm
cwShredder
Anti-virus eg AVG
Spyware blaster
Pestpatrol
Ewido

Just to mention just a few

(I use all the above)
Taffy
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
I help some of the family & neighbors out with their computer problems. Without exception they have capable machines that are dog-ass slow.

Why? Because, as JavaMan pointed out, they use Admin accounts. If they have broadband, they surf the net without a router in between their machine and their cable modem. Then they use MS Internet Explorer. And they load all kinds of crap software on their machines - photo sharing software, Real Audio with every  option available, music sharing software, plus every other gimmicky piece of shit software to come down the pike. Every time they get a disk with a piece of hardware, they load everything on it. Their kids load games, again, with every possible option enabled. It doesn't matter what AV you have loaded, your machine gets choked.

You should see the look on their faces after I've wiped out their machine and reloaded it - the speed gain shocks them.

If it wasn't for all the crap I cited above, Computer makers wouldn't sell even 1/2 the number of machines that they currently do. But as it is, everyone needs the latest, fastest machine available just to give them an extra 4 months of usable life on a new machine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]
USER account for web surfing.
Zone Alarm to keep all ports stealth (Go to www.grc.com and use 'Sheilds Up' to test
Avast and and AVG anti virus
Adware
Sbybot

Once you have a clean system use www.secretmaker.com  been using for a month and it seems to block everything and so far nothing has been found by Adware, Spybot or AVG or avast or TrendMicro.

McAffee? don't bother pain in the drive!

Have another computer I have been using FireFox as my Browser, couple of site I have problems but so far it's been alright.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
+1
I help some of the family & neighbors out with their computer problems. Without exception they have capable machines that are dog-ass slow.

Why? Because, as JavaMan pointed out, they use Admin accounts. If they have broadband, they surf the net without a router in between their machine and their cable modem. Then they use MS Internet Explorer. And they load all kinds of crap software on their machines - photo sharing software, Real Audio with every  option available, music sharing software, plus every other gimmicky piece of shit software to come down the pike. Every time they get a disk with a piece of hardware, they load everything on it. Their kids load games, again, with every possible option enabled. It doesn't matter what AV you have loaded, your machine gets choked.

You should see the look on their faces after I've wiped out their machine and reloaded it - the speed gain shocks them.

I just got done with a complete reload on a my buddy's wife's laptop that she totally trashed.  I found 4 different keyloggers running on it, along with a couple of dozen trojans, and I lost count of the spyware and pop-ups.  When I took a 6 year-old Gateway and reloaded it for my buddy I set up an Admin account for him and a User account for her.  She used that Gateway for almost a year and not one piece of malware ever showed up on it.  My buddy is amazed, saying that she could destroy a PC in less than a week.

Obviously I set up her laptop the same way and it's working great.

Personally I think that setting up a Limited/User account for everyday use is so simple and so easy, and failing to do it is so stupid that when your PC pukes you get what you deserve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top