Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:00:10 PM EDT

www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051229/rcmp_moreside_911call_051229/20051229?hub=CTVNewsAt11

Alta. RCMP erred in not responding to 911 call

Updated Thu. Dec. 29 2005 11:29 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

RCMP in Alberta have admitted they made a mistake in failing to respond to a 911 call made by a woman who was later found murdered in her home.

Brenda Moreside, 44, was found stabbed to death last February in her home in High Prairie, Alta., nearly 300 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

The night she was killed, she called 911, complaining that her common-law husband was drunk and trying to break into her house.

She was told by police that they couldn't come because the man was breaking into his own residence and damaging his own property. Moreside was found dead in the doorway of her home 12 days later.

"The lack of attendance in this particular case was clearly an error," Supt. Marty Cheliak told a news conference in Edmonton Thursday.

"We are conducting additional internal investigations to further examine the RCMP's response to this 911 call."

Moreside's common-law husband has pleaded not guilt to second-degree murder.

Her children, Cynthia and Craig Flaata, have been anxiously awaiting a response from the RCMP.

The 911 call came early in the morning on Feb. 13, 2005.

Moreside spoke to a 911 operator, and later RCMP Const. Devon Bateman. Help was never sent. Her body was found on Feb. 25.

Supt. Cheliak said that while they have no way of knowing if another response would have "resulted in a different outcome," the police have a responsibility to ensure "the safety of everyone that we serve."
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:06:23 PM EDT
but but i thought there was no crime in Canada
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:38:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
but but i thought there was no crime in Canada

You're mistaken. Apparently there's been 87 murders in Toronto this year, and every single one of them was caused by illegal guns coming up from Los Estados Unidos.

It's all Bush's fault! Chimpy McBushHitlerBurton's Haliburton Hurricane Machine blew illegal junk guns from the US into innocent Canadian schoolchildren's hands, causing them to become mass-murdering zombies!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:29:10 PM EDT
For every bad 911 call you hear, there are 100,000 others that went great.

Our profession only gets press when we fuck up.

Luckily, I never fuck up.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:57:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PhatForrest:

Our profession only gets press when we fuck up.

Luckily, I never fuck up.

As it should... But in this case there's a difference between a simple fuck up and neglect of duty.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:35:16 PM EDT
WTF over?!? Who gave the responsibility to the dispatcher of determining wether a crime has been committed?

Here in the US that is called a disturbance and we GO! lights and sirens GO! Yeah, maybe he isn't committing a crime yet by breaking his own shit but we don't just solve past crimes we prevent new ones from occuring also. And from the info given to the dispatcher she should have recognized one was about to occur. Dumb dumb dumb DUMB!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:43:51 PM EDT
Dang
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:47:14 PM EDT
Oops
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:42:49 AM EDT
I know that many 911 calls end well, but time is essential when a crime is in progress. I saw some statistics where a municipality was bragging about getting their average 911 response time down to 14 minutes. That's an eternity for a real emergency....

Then there is the legal precedent that police and fire departments aren't responsible for failure to respond. It is a moral obligation (to the responders) and a political obligation (to elected officials), but legally they have no binding requirement to help you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:24:00 AM EDT

The 911 call came early in the morning on Feb. 13, 2005.

Her children, Cynthia and Craig Flaata, have been anxiously awaiting a response from the RCMP.

Hope her children are patient. Looks like RCMP is taking their time in responding.

She shoulda went across the border to get one of them evil US guns!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:31:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RichinCM:
I know that many 911 calls end well, but time is essential when a crime is in progress. I saw some statistics where a municipality was bragging about getting their average 911 response time down to 14 minutes. That's an eternity for a real emergency....

Then there is the legal precedent that police and fire departments aren't responsible for failure to respond. It is a moral obligation (to the responders) and a political obligation (to elected officials), but legally they have no binding requirement to help you.

For a rural area, 14 minutes is damn good. Before we went to new shifts and nearly doubled the manpower on the road patrol, our units knew they were at least 10 minutes away from any backup.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:45:27 AM EDT
Some checking finds that the common law husband was arrested Feb 26 and charged with 2nd degree murder.

Apparently some neigbhours claim to have seen her out and about "a few days" before her body was found on the 25th.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:48:52 AM EDT
Good thing she didn't have a gun.

Top Top