Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 8:49:40 PM EDT
Or for anyone with that typ training. One of my twin 18month old daughters has a rather scary tendency when she gets really upset. You all know how kids this age get when they get really tired they get cranky and cry and get upset easily. Well when she is in this mode and soemthing even remotely small happens like she drops her sippie cup she gets upset starts crying, but then begins told hold her breath so it becomes souond less crying with her mouth wide open. This is very frightening to me and her mother and we try to get her to stop this as fast as we can by blowing in her face...this is what my mother told us to do. However, this doesn't work all to fast and tonight she began to turn blue because of this so my question for you medical people can I prevent her from doing this (I know probably not) and if I can't prevent his from happening what can I do to get her audibly crying again and thus breathing again sooner rather than later? I hate that she does this cause it scares the living crap out of me and her mom and it doesn't happen all the time just occasionaly. Will she grow out of this? Pleas ehelp me out here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
caveat

consult your pediatrician

911 for emergencies

breath holding
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I call this the silent scream.  I usually just let it run it's course.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You know what happens when your kids "hold their breath until they turn blue and die"?  

They turn blue...

They fall to the floor unconcious...

The body corrects for the intentional misregulation of Carbon Dioxide and the breathing returns to normal...

Mister or Miss Hissy Fit awakens with a bad headache.

They learn not to do it very often.

It's a form of attention seeking behavior. It seems to be working .

Just move her to a soft area (like the couch, a carpeted floor) and have her spazz out in a seated position. SHe may or may not pass out, but if she doesn't, she'll at least get dizzy enough to get her attention.

Official caveat a la ixy - check with your pediatrician, but that's what ours told us.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Just watch the child.

If she passes out, she will breathe spontanously.

Still kinda spooky though....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of kids do it - nothing to worry about.  Once she figures out that it really sucks not being able to breathe, and that her "silent scream", as posted above, is the cause - she'll stop.

I used to put a drop of lemon juice on my niece's tongue when she'd do that.  Lots of fun
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My daughter did this when she was a baby.  After two trips to the ER and once to the doctor office I decided to ride it out and sure enough she moved on to other more annoying ways of expressing herself.  It is very scary though.  The first time she did it she was 3 months old.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is very frightening to me and her mother and we try to get her to stop this as fast as we can

Here's the key.  She may be a mere 18 months, but she's learned how to get a reaction out of you and get attention from it.  

The next time she does this, just turn around and either walk away, or continue doing what you were doing before her tantrum (that's what it is, after all).  She will:
a)  pass out and wake up
b)  realize she can't breathe and stop holding her breath.

with time she will see that this is not getting the reaction out of you that she is seeking and she will stop as long as you quit fussing over her about it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone for the calming replies. I did not realize this was an attention getting thing. Ususally we are good about not letting them do things like this and not reacting to them but this has freaked us out. But now I will tell my wife and the grandparents to not rwact ove rthis and just place her flat on something soft. It is reassuring to know that this won't have harmful long lasting effects.

Thanks for the link ixy.

BTW 82nd why not blow on her face? Not that I am going to do it anymore but I am just cruious.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
+1000000
For all those that told that this was an attention getting action from the toddler.
Having been a Paramedic for many years, I have seen this before. Kids find out very early what gets the most attention. Get the Peditrician involved as this child is in competition for your attention due to being a twin. You need to find a way to break the behavior pattern now or face some very big problems later.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1000000
For all those that told that this was an attention getting action from the toddler.
Having been a Paramedic for many years, I have seen this before. Kids find out very early what gets the most attention. Get the Peditrician involved as this child is in competition for your attention due to being a twin. You need to find a way to break the behavior pattern now or face some very big problems later.

Competition? Really??? She doesn't do it very often. Not even once a week. We make sure we give both girls plenty of attention and do things equally from the time they come home from th hospital.

Very big problems in the future?? Please explain...you definitely have my attention.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think its always an attention getter.  My daughter started doing this as a very young enfant.  She stopped around the age of 18 months though. I did splash water on her face [not a lot, just wet fingers flicked in her face] and that made her stop holding her breath.  She was older then though.

Patty
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Well the twins go in for their second round of flu shots tomorrow so I will ask the Pediatrician then about it and report back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
My daughter would do the random "wow, I can hold my breath" thing.

Freaked the hell outta Momma.

I reassured her that the baby was OK because she would just giggle and go back to doing whatever she was doing before it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I cant BELIEVE none of you noticed the OBVIOUS!

She is disturbed at the Fact that you are a Yankee's fan!! Start watching a REAL time like the Anaheim Angels and she will have a happier childhood!!

Just kidding... 18 months? She's testing your boundaries. Situation Normal. And YES she will outgrow it. Well, maybe not... Have you seen the tempers of most teenagers??

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't even want to think about the teen age years yet. Two teen age girls in the house at the same time, the saem age, going thru the same things at once...not to mention having the wife here too. Boy me and the dog are goiong to go shooting A LOT!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't even want to think about the teen age years yet. Two teen age girls in the house at the same time, the saem age, going thru the same things at once...not to mention having the wife here too. Boy me and the dog are goiong to go shooting A LOT!!

Don't forget college and wedding costs!  

SHADDDDDDDUUUUUUPPPPPP!!!!

Ugh.. I dont wanna think of those years just yet
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I am a nurse and that is exactly what I was going to tell you!  ATTENTION SEEKING BEHAVIOR!!
I agree that it does seem to be working!  Relax....I promise hat she will grow out of it.....ignoring it is good...you would be surprised how quickly she stops doing it when you do not react...hope that helps!

Quoted:
You know what happens when your kids "hold their breath until they turn blue and die"?  Hysterical.gif

They turn blue...

They fall to the floor unconcious...he

Mister or Miss Hissy Fit awakens with a bad headache. hey
It's a form of attention seeking behavior. It seems to be working her
Official caveat a la ixy - check with your pediatrician, but that's what ours told us.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#25]
She's a woman - she's just practicing for later in life, where she will cry, whine, bitch, pout, withhold sex, etc. to get what she wants.

What?  I'm just being honest!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Just let it run its course.
Its scary, but harmless, and like most attention-seeking behaviors once the kid figures out it doesn't work, they'll stop...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks again everyone for the advice. I told the wife about this this morning and she was hesitant about it but promised to not react. Sure shooting this evening before dinner the little hissy fit girl showed up and the wife did good and ignored it. She said the little one stopped in record time. Thanks everyone!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yanker, it's obvious your daughter is jealous of you spending so much time building those damn AK rifles of yours.

Keep it up and your wife might just do the same

You just might have hit the nail on the head...especially after working on the AK's last night....was not a good build night
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top