Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 7:22:20 PM EDT
it just occured to me: this Christmas Eve, i was in a truck that ran off into a ditch in AR at 10pm

well it just rained and 4wd could not do crap; lots of folks offererd to help, but one group of guys really came through, even going back into town for a Deere to pull us out

well we thanked em and wished em a merry xmas--did not exchange names or addresses or anything, but it just hit me that i did not give em any money (not that i had a lot on me, i had ~$60)

i should have given it to em....

what do you think?

is it right to give good samaritans cash for thier volunteer help?

P.S.: if those guys are on this site, THANKS again!
if i knew who they were, i would give em the cash too...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
if i stop to help someone and they offer money i always turn it down.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1.  That's what a good samaritan does.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If they were doing it to be nice, they didnt want or expect money.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I offered the one time I needed help, but they refused.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If the person is somehow set back monetarily by helping me, I will offer them money.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah, I generally refuse money, too.

OTOH, when I get helped out I generally offer something.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I generally refuse money, too.

OTOH, when I get helped out I generally offer something.

yep  been the stuckee and the unstucker
I always offer if i am stuck  had about 40% take the money , i always refuse  if i pull someone out and they offer
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I've stopped to help a few people. Taken them down the road to get gas, pulled them out of the ditch, taken them to a phone, even changed a few tires. Nobody ever offered a thing. I wasn't looking for a reward anyway.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Last winter was heading to go shoot indoors. Stopped three times on the way to pull people out of ditches. Everyone offered, but I would not take it. Pulled out 2 more after shooting, same as before offered but not taken. The way I feel is that if my wife and kids ever got stuck, I would want some nice person to help them out.  It does kind of flatter you that somebody is willing to pay for what some of us do for fun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I consider it an honor to turn down money offered to me for something I would have done anyway.  And I always offer money for someones time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
yea, did not have any beer on hand...

when i stop i dont expect anything; and if i am in a bind, a friend usually helps me out so i never think about paying anyone any cash till now...

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends on whether she was any good or not?  If she was good, I'll offer 15% more than the negotiared price, if bad, just the neg. amount!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Offer, but don't force it.

For most, it would ruin what they did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top